Basic grocery list to start LCD

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    If you split open an avocado and need to pack up half for another day, put a Vitamin C tablet in the bag with the avocado and it keeps it from browning. @Sunny_Bunny_ gave that tip out a while back and it works really well. Keeps better than squeezing lemon on it!

Will try this, I usually just wrap tightly in foil and I'll have a little bit a brown.

It's kind of amazing how well it works!
    This one was refrigerated for a full day after being cut.
    tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

that is really amazing. Do you just place the avocado in a plastic sandwich page or are you wrapping it in foil or saran wrap? And can you reuse the same capsule?

I just put it in a sandwich bag. You can reuse the capsule until it gets all crumbly which seems to happen after it lives with the avocado for over a full day. I guess it absorbs moisture.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    If you split open an avocado and need to pack up half for another day, put a Vitamin C tablet in the bag with the avocado and it keeps it from browning. @Sunny_Bunny_ gave that tip out a while back and it works really well. Keeps better than squeezing lemon on it!

Will try this, I usually just wrap tightly in foil and I'll have a little bit a brown.

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the tips on avocados. Would "chewable" vitamin c tablets work? That's what my son uses :). Thanks :)

Probably but I haven't tried it that way. I have no idea if the dosage of the C matters at all. My tablet is a 1000mg.
    Another note, if you leave it for a day or less, the tablet is reusable but it gets soft and falls apart after a day and half usually.

I bet this would work on the counter with your stored avocados, too, in general, to keep them fresh, wouldn't you logically guess???

I think it would work to slow any kind of cell oxidation in any fruit or veg. Maybe meat too? Which is one of the things I seem to recall about it being so good for our bodies as well. :smile: This is just a visual experiment to be able to see how it prevents the oxidation and preserves the healthy cells of the avocado.
    Why I take 10,000mg a day.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Something else about C I didn't know is that it helps process the amino acids necessary for mood support... It's crazy, isn't it? It may not be necessary for zero-carbers, but for those of us who have to add in some good carbs so as not to overtax/over-stress other systems, some supplements, particularly if we already know we're deficient, can sure as heck make life a little more enjoyable...tolerable????
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

that is really amazing. Do you just place the avocado in a plastic sandwich page or are you wrapping it in foil or saran wrap? And can you reuse the same capsule?

I just put it in a sandwich bag. You can reuse the capsule until it gets all crumbly which seems to happen after it lives with the avocado for over a full day. I guess it absorbs moisture.

tcfwlz2p939z.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the tips on avocados. Would "chewable" vitamin c tablets work? That's what my son uses :). Thanks :)

Probably but I haven't tried it that way. I have no idea if the dosage of the C matters at all. My tablet is a 1000mg.
    Another note, if you leave it for a day or less, the tablet is reusable but it gets soft and falls apart after a day and half usually.

I bet this would work on the counter with your stored avocados, too, in general, to keep them fresh, wouldn't you logically guess???

I think it would work to slow any kind of cell oxidation in any fruit or veg. Maybe meat too? Which is one of the things I seem to recall about it being so good for our bodies as well. :smile: This is just a visual experiment to be able to see how it prevents the oxidation and preserves the healthy cells of the avocado.
    Why I take 10,000mg a day.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Something else about C I didn't know is that it helps process the amino acids necessary for mood support... It's crazy, isn't it? It may not be necessary for zero-carbers, but for those of us who have to add in some good carbs so as not to overtax/over-stress other systems, some supplements, particularly if we already know we're deficient, can sure as heck make life a little more enjoyable...tolerable????

I'm a big advocate for high dose vitamin C. I take my 10,000mg maintenance dose every day. It's so important for so many functions. Of course most people know it's important for immune support but there's so much more to it. And it's crazy cheap!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm taking at least 2000 mg daily in supplements, but I've found I have a lower threshold than some folks. I'll start getting mouth irritation with too much C... LOL But that's usually when strawberries and I renew our love affair! That being said, for anyone who has access to Amazon Prime, there is a particular brand (Thompson, I think) that has a 3 bottle, 30 count 1000 mg vitamin C add on for like less than $4... I'm checking out ALL of their supps as a result. I've got some L-Tyrosine right now that I'm loving, too... Just wish they made the 5-HTP and L-Glutamine cheaper, too, as I haven't found it yet (but that's most of my neurotransmitter/amino acid thing I'm trying out right now...)...
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    Shop frequently so you are buying fresh. It may cost more up front, but you throw away less food....and in the long run, save $$.

A basic rule of thumb I try and follow is this: if you can kill it or grow it, you .

I follow the same rule! I avoid the center aisles at the grocery store, unless I need coconut oil out spices/stevia or frozen veggies. I have to but some carbs for my hubby but I buy significantly less than I used to
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    tishball wrote: »
    Keep It Simple, Stupid! :D
    I wanted to ask what kiss was too, and when I saw this I nearly sprayed my coffee on the screen.... very funny

When you use this in a more formal environment change it to Keep it Simple Sweetie or Silly...when I first used KISS at work I nearly said "stupid" and realized I was about to shoot myself in the foot...
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in "unprocessed" clean eating where I can. Which is a bit of a joke if you think about it because there are so many toxins in all of our foods. You'll see below that there are a few items that make me a hypocrite though :wink: Anyways..

With the exception of Stevia used about twice a week, I avoid all things with a sugar free label. You may need to purchase sugar free syrups, sauces and such - if you have a sweet tooth and feel like you need them to stay on track. Everyone has different needs!

Here's what's typically on my list:

Heavy Whipping Cream (18-35% Fat)
    Full Fat Cheeses including Feta
    High fat plain yogurt (Fairly high in carbs though)

Olive Oil
    Coconut Oil
    Avocado Oil
    Butter
    Mayo (Although I like to make my own)

Avocado (Sometimes)
    Zucchini
    Cauliflower
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Grape Tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Strawberries and Raspberries (Sometimes)

Black Olives
    Hot Banana Pepper Rings
    Yellow Mustard

Eggs
    Canned Tuna
    Bacon
    Hard Salami's
    Salmon
    Chicken (All Cuts)
    Ground Beef
    Strip Loin Steak
    Pork

Pepitas (Raw Pumpkin Seeds)
    Pork Rinds
    Raw Nuts
    Almond Flour
    Coconut Flower
    Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
    Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Treysar: Here is my coffee cup this morning, LOL:
    7b16ecec-be5a-4271-abd0-760b93136431_zpsrlqzs69p.jpg[img][/img]Wonder20Woman20back20of20cup_zpsffecfrqq.jpg[img][/img]
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    tishball wrote: »
    Keep It Simple, Stupid! :D
    I wanted to ask what kiss was too, and when I saw this I nearly sprayed my coffee on the screen.... very funny

When you use this in a more formal environment change it to Keep it Simple Sweetie or Silly...when I first used KISS at work I nearly said "stupid" and realized I was about to shoot myself in the foot...

When I was a kid, I said "SOL" in front of my completely clueless and extremely conservative parents. My brother, trying to bait me, asked, "What does that stand for?" Without hesitation, I replied, "Straight out of luck." My mom thought that was a neat saying. LOL
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    Options
    @RowdysLady LOL-- I always say, "Keep It Simple, Sweetheart" to my high school students or when I'm giving myself a peptalk :wink:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed pork rinds on here, but it is not only a snack, I like to use it crushed up as a "breading" when frying things. I made the best "breaded" pork chops the other night using them.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My Wal-mart has pre-riced cauliflower now too.
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went to the store recently with hubby and here's what we bought:

Baby Spinach
    Onions & Spring Onions
    Tomatoes
    Asparagus
    Bell Peppers
    Broccoli
    Mushrooms
    Celery Sticks
    Spring Onions
    Fresh Parsley
    Fresh Basil
    Cabbage
    Carrots (my husband eats these more than I do)
    Black Olives (these are for me)
    Cheese
    Yoghurt
    Almond Milk
    Butter
    Heavy Cream
    Chicken Breast
    Turkey Bacon
    Ground Beef
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but is it the effervescent kind, or the tablet kind? If it's effervescent, does it matter that they add aspartame as a sweetener (bleackh!! :s )...?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but is it the effervescent kind, or the tablet kind? If it's effervescent, does it matter that they add aspartame as a sweetener (bleackh!! :s )...?

The tablets I bought are just ascorbic acid. No aspartame or anything. They aren't flavored. They're meant to be swallowed. Not chewed.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks, good to know! Will try this for myself, because occasionally, a whole avocado, is just too much.....
  • cestabrook
    cestabrook Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i want to eat beans are they allowed? i want to eat veggies too
    i want to follow this plan how many carbs should you have
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @cestabrook great low carb bean choices are Eden organic black soybeans (1 g net carb per 1/2 c) and then on to white kidney beans and black beans at 13 g net per 1/2 c. Obvious which ones I use, lol, because I love beans too - added to my 'taco' salad and some in my chili.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    cestabrook wrote: »

Keto is 20 grams, low carb is anywhere from there to 100 grams. Different people have different tolerances.

dietdoctor.com has great infographs of how many carbs are in foods. Be sure to check those out.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits#similar
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ranch
    Butter
    Heavy Cream
    Almond Milk
    Avocado
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Deli Meats
    Cured Meats
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Sugar-Free Ketchup (if you're into that)
    Ground/Minced Beef/Meats (80/20 or 85/15 is my favorite)
    Sausages
    Fish
    Chicken - boneless is nice, skin on or off is nbd. Skin is good fat.
    Coconut Oil
    Butter. Really, this stuff is great.
    Pink Salt
    Bacon Bits
    Spinach
    Spinach
    Spinach
    Romaine Leaves for taco shells or bread replacement. Can make great burgers with these.
    Mustard
    Assorted dressings that are oil or fat heavy, and carb low.
    Half and Half
    Quest Bars, Shakes, and Protein Chips are really good for decent carbs.

That's all I can think off offhand. I am tired so brain isn't at 100% atm.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cestabrook wrote: »

Your profile says you've always been on the thin side and wish to stay that way. Your ticker indicates you want to lose 8 more pounds for a total of 13. The only reason I mention all that is I think it is helpful to know someone's goals when responding.

Given your goal, I personally think eating beans (legumes is fine). There is no mention of keto in your post so I'm answering based on low carb eating. I can fit legumes in my daily carb allowance of 100 or fewer. I also eat sufficient vegetables in that 100.

What I really limit is the carby/fatty combos such as: cookies, cake, pies, ice cream, fritos, doritos and cheetos. ;) Too much pasta... ;) I over eat that stuff.

Welcome!