Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low carb food fail!

2»

Replies

• tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    @Phrick thanks for that. I don't know if states side your rashers are like ours. But ours have the skin still on them, so if you eat the bacon, then take the fat and rasher and put it on a roasting tin in the oven it goes crispy, it is indeed lovely. I actually now realise I have found a way to fill my calories and keep my carbs in check, still faffing around trying to keep everything in the correct proportion every day, and was finding myself not eating enough calories, not being hungry makes it harder to just eat something when you don't need it. My diet prior to this was very high in fruit and veg, potatoes and pasta, so it isn't hard to just cut those things out, but not easy to start eating more meat and fat. I lack imagination , but the pork rinds sound like the perfect answer.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2016
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    You can always make mini pepper nachos!
    Mini Bell Pepper Chicken Nachos

im2cp55sx1r4.jpg

@Queenmunchy - those look fabulous! Do you do anything with them before loading them up? I LOVE this idea!
  • KnitOrMiss
    HA! It added the actual link when I responded. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    @knitormiss :)

If I ever have leftover taco meat, I slice the mini peppers in half and load up with what I have on hand. Always cheese and salsa, usually cilantro and scallion, sometimes olives and just bake. So good!
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Try the awfully posh brand, I got mine from Amazon, they are pretty good and only use pork and salt. I thnk they could easily be made into a bread crumb.

I use pork rinds instead of breadcrumbs for Chicken/Pork Parmesan. My husband likes it with the pork rinds better. He says it keeps the meat extra moist. I make my "breading" with crumbled pork rinds, Parmesan cheese, and minced garlic. Sooo good. Wonder if I can use when making meatballs. That will be my next experiment.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Oh my goodness. I thought it would be great - not so much.

DD was making nachos for herself last night, and I was wanting a snack, so instead of the nacho chips, I pulled out the bag of pork rinds and had her make me some with that.

NOT great at all. They got kind of soggy/chewy with the cheese melted on them.

So I won't be repeating that snack! I should have just made some cheese crisps and had that crunchy goodness instead.

I've done this when my fiance makes tortilla chips and cheese and I wanted something like it. I did unflavored pork rinds with melted cheese and sour cream on top. Yes, they were a little soggy but it combatted that urge.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    I can't eat them out of a bag, it kind of makes me gag, not sure really sure if it's a taste or texture thing. The only way i can eat it is straight out of the oven, when the skin is hot and crispy, the fat is ooey and gooey on the underside, and you have little shreds of tender meat stuck to it. Pork belly roasts are a favourite in my house so I try and do it once a week.

Wish I'd known about the Mexican butchers when I was still in the US! I would have bought my pork roasts from them.

Mexican grocers (particularly butchers!) around here sell them still warm. You pay by the pound, so no pre-bagged stuff. I take them home and pop them in the oven for a couple minutes, when I want that kind. Really quite delicious.

I may have to try making my own!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    I can't eat them out of a bag, it kind of makes me gag, not sure really sure if it's a taste or texture thing. The only way i can eat it is straight out of the oven, when the skin is hot and crispy, the fat is ooey and gooey on the underside, and you have little shreds of tender meat stuck to it. Pork belly roasts are a favourite in my house so I try and do it once a week.

Wish I'd known about the Mexican butchers when I was still in the US! I would have bought my pork roasts from them.

Mexican grocers (particularly butchers!) around here sell them still warm. You pay by the pound, so no pre-bagged stuff. I take them home and pop them in the oven for a couple minutes, when I want that kind. Really quite delicious.

I may have to try making my own!

Oh nice!! That sounds delicious :smiley:
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    I wish I like pork rinds...
  • msohio33
    msohio33 Posts: 26 Member
    Regular flavored pork rinds and peanut butter are really good instead of peanut butter and crackers.

I always use crushed spicy hot porkrinds in my meatballs and meatloaf.

Roll mozzarella cheese sticks in egg wash and crushed porkrinds. Deep fry and dip in low carb pizza sauce for a delicious snack.
  • msohio33
    msohio33 Posts: 26 Member
    I once tried making a low carb hamburger helper with zucchini strips instead of pasta. My husband hated it and my barn cats that eat mice and rats wouldn't have anything to do with it. Major FAIL!! Lol
  • KnitOrMiss

Remember to try them again periodically. The longer I'm low carb, the more my taste buds change, and I like things that used to make me gag!
  • emilybeaver
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Remember to try them again periodically. The longer I'm low carb, the more my taste buds change, and I like things that used to make me gag!

I'll have to try. I bought Aldi brand ones....so I may try getting a bigger quality one
  • KnitOrMiss

I'll have to try. I bought Aldi brand ones....so I may try getting a bigger quality one

@Emilybeaver I like the Mac's brand (can get at WM) and the...darn it, there's another brand they carry, but essentially, if the brand name is Mexican/Spanish, you've probably got a good one. My favorite thing to do with them is to dip them in homemade ranch dip. I like some of them plain, but not all of them. And don't smell the bag when you open it...the scent can be overwhelming if you're just building up to it.

Oh, and even the Aldi ones - try using them as breading with other seasonings. I bet they'll be fine.
  • emilybeaver

@Emilybeaver I like the Mac's brand (can get at WM) and the...darn it, there's another brand they carry, but essentially, if the brand name is Mexican/Spanish, you've probably got a good one. My favorite thing to do with them is to dip them in homemade ranch dip. I like some of them plain, but not all of them. And don't smell the bag when you open it...the scent can be overwhelming if you're just building up to it.

Oh, and even the Aldi ones - try using them as breading with other seasonings. I bet they'll be fine.

I threw them away already :/ but I will have to venture to the dreaded Wal-Mart and see if I can find some. I bet they would be good dipped in ranch, or a cheese sauce of some kind....
  • KnitOrMiss

I threw them away already :/ but I will have to venture to the dreaded Wal-Mart and see if I can find some. I bet they would be good dipped in ranch, or a cheese sauce of some kind....

You should also be able to find a few brands on Amazon or something, too. Just don't expect them to taste like potatoes. They're pork! LOL Also, you should be able to find Flackers or Flax Crackers online, as well.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member

WM carries Mac's in several flavors. Hubby tried the BBQ, which I thought tasted like nothing. I'm currently in love with Mac's salt n vinegar pork rinds.