Garlic - 298 carbs!

Options
Wakey618
Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
wkuw1cma04af.jpg

I couldn't figure out why a healthy recipe of mine for a veggie soup was so high in calories & carbs. I finally started going through each ingredient to see if I could find a culprit and get rid of it. Well, I did!! No idea what the database was thinking and I sure missed it when building the recipe! Thought it was good for a laugh! :p

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    How to eat and lose friends. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I tell my wife, all the time, that garlic is full of carbs. She tells me it isn't that much. Ha! Who's laughing now?!?!

:lol:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hahah 3 fists probably isn't even that much! Dang!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    LOL. Good old MFP database ...
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    someone was just checking to see if you were awake :smiley:
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    there should really be a way to purge these whack database entries. lol.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Is it true do you think? it can't be. My day is RUINED. I was having garlic butter on my steak and thinking I was a great girl........ ah pants! :disappointed:
  • Ringbearer2
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No, it's not true. Garlic has something like 5 calories per largish clove. Minced fresh garlic is 4 cals per teaspoon. It's really good for you, too.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi @tishball it's not even close, so don't sweat it :wink:

One clove of garlic does have 1 gram of carbs though, which may be notable if you're trying to keep your carbs super duper low.

You can always double check MFP entries here:
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

And I highly recommend doing that if you're not familiar with the nutritional makeup of your foods as there are a lot of errors in MFP as the data is user created.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    That freakin' entry gets me EVERY time I enter a recipe. I wish we could report/edit entries via the recipe maker, because I can't find that one in the standard database of foods.
  • Ringbearer2
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The one is the database is still WAY off. I reported it. Let's see if it helps. Must have been entered by a vampire.

Meanwhile, don't fear the clove!
  • tishball
    Options
    lol, I know how good garlic is for the system and I eat lots of it, PHEW! ye gave me a heart attack there.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you can enter your own foods. Just use the USDA link I shared above to get the nutritional info. There's no need to have your data hindered by misinformation submitted by others.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Try this one. More correct than most.
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/garlic?portionid=34171&portionamount=3.000

Yea, the 3 cloves Garlic on MFP that are out of wack were even check marked. <sigh>
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm sad :( Garlic is my favorite spice. Trying to be VLC to ZC for a while. Will have to give it up for the time being and just stick to salt and pepper.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Have your garlic. Just log it. Garlic is beneficial enough to take the carbs. Just excuse it as medicine ( ;
  • tishball
    Options
    ah there is very little really when you divide the clove in a few portions.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    @tishball I think you are thinking of the bulb? The clove is already the little part. In any case, this is super duper inaccurate.

I LOVE garlic. Plus it keeps me safe from vampires.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    hakamruth wrote: »
    I'm sad :( Garlic is my favorite spice. Trying to be VLC to ZC for a while. Will have to give it up for the time being and just stick to salt and pepper.

I always used garlic, even at 20g carb max. Just logged it and didn't use tons of it. Only used fresh too. The powdered seemed to be extra carby
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    By the time we've eaten 1,300+ calories worth of garlic, I believe FEMA declares us a biohazard and evacuates the immediate area.