Teacher Starting keto today!

Options
2»

Replies

• missabbyb
    missabbyb Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I teach middle school- 6th grade reading and English.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Welcome. There is def a steep learning curve but you can do it. I jumped in to this WOE without evening knowing what it was at the start. I just heard that cutting carbs was a good way to lose weight. So, one day I just decided to simply stop eating all carbs. The weight immediately started to drop off and then I began researching and reading. It seems like you've already done some homework so you should be ahead of the game.

I recommend watching the six part YouTube series by Dr. Jason Fung. It's called the entomology of Obesity. It's long, and sometimes a bit boring but well worth the investment. You will learn about how insulin acts to make us fat and what insulin resistance is. It also helps reinforce the need for high fat intake in conjunction with low carb and moderate protein.

For the first 5 months of my journey I kept my net carbs (carbs less fibre) below 20g. I now have up to 50g per day. I also bought the ketostix to help me track my ketosis. I found it motivating to see the colour change to confirm my ketosis.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    missabbyb wrote: »
    So far so good. I had egg muffins and bulletproof coffee for breakfast... although I only did half a tablespoon of oil in the coffee because I wasn't sure how my body would react. I definitely feel a little greasy right now, but full. Also not sure if feeling flush is normal at the start but I had a bit of that too.

Some people do get flush in the beginning when producing ketones, as you adapt it goes away.

You do not need to be below 20g to produce ketones, though it's commonly recommended in the beginning to deplete glycogen stores quickly and get through the adaptation bit quicker. If you are going that route make sure to increase your sodium intake as you'll be dumping a lot of water with that glucose thus losing sodium as well.

You will likely start feeling wonderful and never hungry for a couple of weeks. After that you may feel like garbage for a bit, this can mostly be avoided by keeping sodium up and eating enough fat.

Good luck! It gets easier and easier as you go. You'll have many more questions as you progress. Lots to read in the launch pad.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I teach 9th grade ELA. I've been lchf for a couple of months now. It does help with the stress although i really do need to pack a snack to cope with the after-school grading. I often pack a pre-weighed serving of lightly salted peanuts (we're not quite a peanut free school) for sodium, crunch, fat and protein. I never eat them at home because they are easy to overdo.

Anyway, welcome!

• missabbyb
    missabbyb Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    suesuarez wrote: »
    Welcome!

I teach 9th grade ELA. I've been lchf for a couple of months now. It does help with the stress although i really do need to pack a snack to cope with the after-school grading. I often pack a pre-weighed serving of lightly salted peanuts (we're not quite a peanut free school) for sodium, crunch, fat and protein. I never eat them at home because they are easy to overdo.

Anyway, welcome!

That's a great idea! Yeah, 2:00 was a slump time for me. But it's also when I have back to back classes.