Redwood & Yosemite Trails

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
I'm planning a road trip in late May to visit 3 parks: Redwoods, Yosemite, and Zion. Each will be just 1 day. What trails do you suggest for Redwoods & Yosemite (I'm already set on Angel's Landing at Zion)? I've not been to either, and I'm looking for a full day (so 8-15 miles, depending on difficulty).

Replies

• kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Up at the top part, near Tuolumne Meadows there are a couple of beautiful hikes. One is to Cathedral Lake and the other is to Cloud's rest. They are both out and back, but there may be too much snow right now. Not even sure the road is open. It would be the Tioga Pass Road. Down in the Valley I've hiked up to the top of Yosemite Falls. It's okay, but just up, up, up and then down, down, down. The hike is 7.6 miles out and back and rated strenuous. A really nice but busy hike is the Loop out to the top of Vernal Falls. This is close to 6 miles and a lollipop. You can hike part of the JMT and also the Mist trail. I think I've been to Yosemite 3 or 4 times and also did a short backpack from the Tuolumne Meadows area down to the Valley and did Half Dome on the way.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Here's what I've decided:

Redwoods - I need suggestions still. It might be that I go to the visitor's center and figure it out when I get there. Edit: Strongly thinking about this: http://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/a-california-redwoods-hike-you-wonrsquot-forget/

Yosemite - I've decided Chilnualna Falls - it is supposedly haunted, so that might be interesting.

Zion - Angel's Landing.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The Chilnualna Falls trail is not haunted, LOL. Just came back from hiking it over Memorial Day weekend. It's a beautiful hike. Another one you might consider: take the 4-mile trail from the Valley to Glacier Point, the take the Panorama Trail from Glacier Point to the top of Nevada Falls, then take the Mist Trail back down to the valley. You will see 4 waterfalls, (Yosemite Falls, Nevada Falls, Vernal, Ilouette Falls), Half Dome and best of all youcan get ice cream at Glacier Point while en route.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    The Chilnualna Falls trail is not haunted, LOL. Just came back from hiking it over Memorial Day weekend. It's a beautiful hike. Another one you might consider: take the 4-mile trail from the Valley to Glacier Point, the take the Panorama Trail from Glacier Point to the top of Nevada Falls, then take the Mist Trail back down to the valley. You will see 4 waterfalls, (Yosemite Falls, Nevada Falls, Vernal, Ilouette Falls), Half Dome and best of all youcan get ice cream at Glacier Point while en route.

I did this hike last week and didn't notice anything as described... but I read an article explaining that it is haunted. Supposedly an American Indian boy drowned there and sometimes people hear him screaming. Apparently, some have tried to rescue him and drowned.
  • Crossfitand5ks
    Crossfitand5ks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not truly a hike hike besides having to hike the miles around the town but a notable place to go if you are near Yosemite is the ghost town of Bodie. I took my kids, mom, and 4 fur babies there over Memorial Day weekend and it was awesome. The only downside was no one said anything about the biting mites that are attracted to sweat during the rainy season. Needless to say this made my kids and fur babies not great fans. But we had a great time and so much history plus it was beautiful. You do have to pack in everything..so lunch, snacks, water etc.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Not truly a hike hike besides having to hike the miles around the town but a notable place to go if you are near Yosemite is the ghost town of Bodie. I took my kids, mom, and 4 fur babies there over Memorial Day weekend and it was awesome. The only downside was no one said anything about the biting mites that are attracted to sweat during the rainy season. Needless to say this made my kids and fur babies not great fans. But we had a great time and so much history plus it was beautiful. You do have to pack in everything..so lunch, snacks, water etc.

Thanks! I already did this trip, but will try to remember next time I'm in the area.