Low carb newbie...looking for a lifestyle change with initial weight loss @ 20 pounds

Options
smrybacki
smrybacki Posts: 78 Member
So I never thought much about what I ate, until I hit 50+ and could no longer run it off. Still, 17 years after active duty retirement I weigh maybe 20 pounds more than the day I took the uniform off which I figure isn't so bad at age 57.

But what IS bad is my perpetually high blood pressure (controlled by meds), perpetually high cholesterol levels and yeah, I'd like to get back down to 190lbs on my 71.5" frame. So, I read a bit about lowered carb "diets" (I hate that word) and it seems like a good fit, but in terms of approach I am near square zero. Of course, I LOVE meat and vegetables which seems good (high protein, low carbs right?), yet I have been told all my life that meat contributes to cholesterol. Traditionally, I have followed a lowered fat type diet with plenty of fiber, courtesy of my wife but I have my doubts as to it's effectiveness because on my high BP and cholesterol and that 15-20lb drift I've had in 17 years.

So, given this short history, and the brief outline of my medical stuff (minor though it may be), and taking also into account that for a desk worker, I am fairly active generally getting in 14-15k steps a day according to my FitBit -- is this the place to learn about a lower carb lifestyle? I am interested in an overall change in lifestyle and I've already started, setting my goals to 45% carb, 35% protein and 20% fat in MFP. But honestly, trying to get variety is a bit daunting, especially if you are kinda busy in life. So how do you folks do this? What foods are out there? Are my current goals about right, given I am not into extremes?

Oh yeah, the name is Steve and thanks for reading...

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve, Welcome to the group.

Start by reading the information on the Launchpad. You will find a lot of resources here to help you with this way of eating. This group is the best thing I did for myself. I started my food education 10 months ago. I had to unlearn so much misinformation about healthy foods, nutrition, and weight loss. I've lost 40 pounds and have more energy than I have in a long, long time. In short, yes. You've come to the right place! :)
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new myself so can't give you huge details, but you have come to the right place there are some on here that can explain everything so well. I do know though from all research I have done on this diet is that good cholestrol will raise, ( the stuff that helps you) and that the bad one drops,. The amount of health benifits on this diet are AMAZING. I am only one week into it, and notice my roscea is getting better. This ailment is known to have no cure, just help from drugs . Read the thread on different health problems that have been helped by going low carb. And welcome if you decide to join us.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Welcome!

It can seem overwhelming, but so worth it. It was hard for me to grasp some of the concepts too, especially regarding upping our fats and dropping the grains. But the more I read, and the more I tried this way of eating, the more I was convinced I am on the right path. Accepting the fact that the low-fat diet craze (which many governments began recommending in late 70's) has been one of the worse human experiments of all times was mind boggling. The recommendation to eat 6-11 servings of grains, cereals and wheat was based on vapor, not scientific data in nutrition. When I learned the Kellogg company was instrumental in putting the food pyramid together, hence the recommendation and even the word 'cereals' (it's not a food group), I felt a bit duped.

Here are a couple very short, quick videos you might find interesting in regards to 'fat'. Understanding all of this, as well as the actual role it plays in cholesterol production (saturated fats are not evil), I can eat this way with absolutely no worries. I too had very high blood pressure, I was off my meds after 5 months and losing around 50 pounds.

I will be honest with you though, 45% carbs is still pretty high, even if that is less then what you were previous eating. Have you considered just counting grams? At least to get an idea of what you are consuming? Most of us focus on getting under 100 grams, with a lot of us under 50 or even under 20 depending on goals and medical reasons. Likewise, fat grams are much higher too then 20%. What you describe is very much the old 'low fat' diet.

Video: 9 minutes Fat Controversy - a really good summary of why fat was demonized, despite some serious lack of evidence. It just scratches the surface.

Video: 4 minutes US Scientific Funding Debacle
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Steve.

My story is similar to yours. I slowly put on my extra weight -- averaged about 1lb per year. My goal was to improve my lipid profile, and studies suggested that losing about 10% of body weight could help.

So I dropped my carbs to about 100g/d, and instead of losing my goal of 20lbs, I lost almost 40lbs. HDL went up, TG went way down. And I feel great.

The basic idea is to minimize insulin levels and maximize insulin sensitivity.

In terms of insulin, the fewer digestible carbs, the better. Fiber from veggies is fine. In terms of sustainability, the level you can sustain FOREVER is really what matters, because once you go back to high-carb, the weight and health risks will start coming back.

You may see your LDL go up, but it's not always a reliable indicator:
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199604113341504

BP almost always drops. A lot of people go off their meds.
  • smrybacki
    Options
    Wow, thanks folks. Lot's of good info and interesting videos too. I do desire to go off my BP meds as well. Thing is, my wife IS a medical profession and so is steeped in the low fat, high fiber mindset. It's hard to tell what's right and wrong in terms of proper nutrition as there are so many competing interests with bought and paid for science to back them up. And just TRY and follow a low sodium diet in today's world lol...good luck with that.

So then, my goals have been to do that -- eat lower fat higher fiber foods. So is my goal of 1500 calories with say 40% carb, 40% protein and 20 percent fat a good place to start? And what of exercise inputs -- use the extra calories or simply hold them as a cushion in case a day goes over 1500?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care about percentages. It cares about specific quantities.

Carbs: Anything less than 150g per day is low-carb. The lower, the better.
    Protein: You just need enough to maintain muscle mass. About 1g per kg body weight should do it, but more is fine.
    Fat: No specific goal is required. Use fat to reach satiety.
    Calories: You need a deficit to lose weight, but once your insulin drops low enough to give you easier access to body fat, you'll find yourself less hungry than you were previously. The result is a natural caloric deficit.

Ignore the calorie "bonuses" you get for exercise. Just eat till satisfied. Sometimes that means eating back some exercise calories, sometimes not.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Steve.
    Cholesterol Clarity is a great book on cholesterol and LCHF diets too. Moore's other book, Keto Clarity, is another easy read if you plan on cutting carbs down to 50g per day (not needed for most).

You may find you need to increase sodium somewhat as your carbs go down. Sodium needs may be 3000-5000 mg per day or more. If you experience headaches, brain fog, fatigue, muscle aches or spasms, or even nausea, it means your sodium is too low.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options
    smrybacki wrote: »
    Wow, thanks folks. Lot's of good info and interesting videos too. I do desire to go off my BP meds as well. Thing is, my wife IS a medical profession and so is steeped in the low fat, high fiber mindset. It's hard to tell what's right and wrong in terms of proper nutrition as there are so many competing interests with bought and paid for science to back them up. And just TRY and follow a low sodium diet in today's world lol...good luck with that.

So then, my goals have been to do that -- eat lower fat higher fiber foods. So is my goal of 1500 calories with say 40% carb, 40% protein and 20 percent fat a good place to start? And what of exercise inputs -- use the extra calories or simply hold them as a cushion in case a day goes over 1500?

The last thing I would want to do is to have you go up against your wife, LOL. I know I struggled a bit with my husband in the beginning, he thought I was nuts so I slowly but surly kept educating him. After ~four months he is now on the same wave as me. After many years of medical interventions and drugs, his IBS is completely in remission, most likely as a result of a wheat intolerance. He is also lost 25 pounds too! I do all the cooking in the house, so having a separate food plan as my husband was challenging but doable. I don't know your situation it may be more difficult for you to eat differently then your wife. If that really is what you want to do.

As for the high blood pressure, I had stage 4 blood pressure, which is considered a medical emergency. For a few days my blood pressure was over 200/100 and even higher. When I ended up in the emergency room it was 225/110. The smartest thing I did was cutting out the carbs and of course going on the medicine which I am now off of. Carbs force your body to retain water, and as you have pointed out sodium at high level is not healthy for one with high blood pressure. Makes the heart beat harder. That sodium is retained in our water so you want to flush it out and not retain water, make sense?

I think you have a lot of research to do ahead of you, I can so relate, but it really looks like you're looking in the right places. If you do nothing more than cut refined carbohydrates out of your diet and focus on eating healthy protein, fats and non-starchy carbohydrates like green leafy vegetables you will be doing yourself a world of good. You can focus on doing actual low-carb down the road but if your blood pressure is really high strongly consider what it takes to bring it down.

Lastly, don't underestimate the value of fats. The low-fat craze is just nonsensical.
  • smrybacki
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

The last thing I would want to do is to have you go up against your wife, LOL. I know I struggled a bit with my husband in the beginning, he thought I was nuts so I slowly but surly kept educating him. After ~four months he is now on the same wave as me. After many years of medical interventions and drugs, his IBS is completely in remission, most likely as a result of a wheat intolerance. He is also lost 25 pounds too! I do all the cooking in the house, so having a separate food plan as my husband was challenging but doable. I don't know your situation it may be more difficult for you to eat differently then your wife. If that really is what you want to do.

As for the high blood pressure, I had stage 4 blood pressure, which is considered a medical emergency. For a few days my blood pressure was over 200/100 and even higher. When I ended up in the emergency room it was 225/110. The smartest thing I did was cutting out the carbs and of course going on the medicine which I am now off of. Carbs force your body to retain water, and as you have pointed out sodium at high level is not healthy for one with high blood pressure. Makes the heart beat harder. That sodium is retained in our water so you want to flush it out and not retain water, make sense?

I think you have a lot of research to do ahead of you, I can so relate, but it really looks like you're looking in the right places. If you do nothing more than cut refined carbohydrates out of your diet and focus on eating healthy protein, fats and non-starchy carbohydrates like green leafy vegetables you will be doing yourself a world of good. You can focus on doing actual low-carb down the road but if your blood pressure is really high strongly consider what it takes to bring it down.

Lastly, don't underestimate the value of fats. The low-fat craze is just nonsensical.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My wife is pretty easy going, and she would generally prefer to eat a strictly lean meat + vegetable dinner most days. She likes stir fried stuff and roasted vegetables and I grill several times a week, basically chicken with a day for pork and a day for beef thrown in with the odd fish meal. Gotta eat more fish than I do, I figure because it's basically the perfect protein as far as I can tell.

Still trying to figure out what to eat, basically. I eat egg beaters or eggs for breakfast with 2% cottage cheese and V8 most mornings, but today for example I had 3 turkey sausage links plus two large eggs and V8. Breakfast seems easy enough, unless I am off mark somehow. Lunch is a challenge, and for years now I have subsisted on Healthy Choice Steamers, SmartOnes and other lower fat, higher fiber meals. I realize these types of meals are of the low fat, high fiber thing so I think they have to go. I don't have any cooking facilities here, save a microwave. Thinking canned tuna in water is a good choice, but can't eat that every day either lol. Already eating Chobani non-fat plain Greek yogurt and Sargento light string cheese. What the heck else can I add to a lunch time meal and a couple of snacks for a work day to boost proteins and good fats, while kicking so many carbs to the curb?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @smrybacki sounds like you have a fridge at work or take a cooler with you, you could always have a hearty salad for lunch. I love a good Cobb salad with bacon crumbles, blue cheese, hard boiled egg and some chicken over some chipped romaine with some grape tomatoes. You can pack your creamy dressing in a separate little container so it doesn't get soggy and toss it all before you eat. Taco salads are yummy too.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Another lunch option is the previous night's leftovers. Just make sure to cook extra so you have something to take for lunch the next day to pop in the microwave. Or like Paleo said, a great big salad with lots of proteins is always an option. String cheese, beef jerky, cottage cheese, pepperoni slices, ham/pickle roll-ups (cream cheese spread on sliced of ham, rolled up with a pickle),
  • smrybacki
    Options
    So, I'll be stopping by the grocery after work lol
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it, it is amazing how soon you find that your feeling better
  • KarlynKeto
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My wife is pretty easy going, and she would generally prefer to eat a strictly lean meat + vegetable dinner most days. She likes stir fried stuff and roasted vegetables and I grill several times a week, basically chicken with a day for pork and a day for beef thrown in with the odd fish meal. Gotta eat more fish than I do, I figure because it's basically the perfect protein as far as I can tell.

Still trying to figure out what to eat, basically. I eat egg beaters or eggs for breakfast with 2% cottage cheese and V8 most mornings, but today for example I had 3 turkey sausage links plus two large eggs and V8. Breakfast seems easy enough, unless I am off mark somehow. Lunch is a challenge, and for years now I have subsisted on Healthy Choice Steamers, SmartOnes and other lower fat, higher fiber meals. I realize these types of meals are of the low fat, high fiber thing so I think they have to go. I don't have any cooking facilities here, save a microwave. Thinking canned tuna in water is a good choice, but can't eat that every day either lol. Already eating Chobani non-fat plain Greek yogurt and Sargento light string cheese. What the heck else can I add to a lunch time meal and a couple of snacks for a work day to boost proteins and good fats, while kicking so many carbs to the curb?

You're welcome. I think your breakfast looks good, especially that V8 (assuming you are doing low sodium, original blend?) It is high in lycopene, high in potassium, and no added sugars. All great for high blood pressure. In your research you may come across a lot of recommendations to cut out juice, just know that the advice primarily refers to fruit juices where the sugar content is high (natural doesn't matter) and the fiber has been completely removed - leaving it the close equivalent of a sugary soda. Pure veggie juices, especially those with a tomato base, are not your enemy. Read up on lycopene and HBP, it's why I try to eat red veggies daily (onion, bells, beets in moderation...)

I don't eat wheat or grains anymore, nor do I consume canola or soy oils, so my lunch is a salad I bring to work with a super easy homemade ranch salad dressing. I measure to keep my carbs in tack but basically I add lettuce, red onion, red bells, cucumber, shredded carrot, then top with chopped ham, cheese, pecans, and a hard boiled egg. I make a ranch dressing using Chosen One avocado mayo, sour cream, Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning and a bit of cream to thin it out. (buttermilk powder and a bit of jar chipotles goes well in that mix too).

My dinners are a lot like yours, minus the rice. If you or your wife are up for it, try to make cauliflower rice one night. I am having a love affair with cauliflower these days, they are fantastic substitutes for mashed potatoes and rice dishes. Soooo many great recipes out there.