If you've knocked yourself out of Keto

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
How long did it take you to get back in? I had a bad week/10 days and in the last 4 days, 3 days I've been just under 30 gross carbs, and one day at 43 gross carbs. I just tested and I'm not back in Keto yet. Though this morning I was feeling pretty crappy and needed to some heavily salted broth and some pickles to start feeling better. Does that mean I'm almost there again?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You're there regardless of whether the ketones are being excreted in your urine yet. And the fact that you're dumping sodium is definitely a sign. I bet your ketostix will be purple later today. :)

Simple math: your brain will burn about 130g/d of glucose. Liver glycogen is less than 100g. So you'll burn off glycogen reserves and enter ketosis in less than 2 days if you're at 30g/d.
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 days. I was on a business trip last week and struggled to find keto meals with what was served. Traveling home, I went ahead and had a Ben & Jerry's pint. I started back on keto Sat AM and by bedtime Sunday I was putting out ketones.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The only time I knocked myself out was for 1 day, it took me a good day (maybe 2?) to get fully back in. Sounds like you are there!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The first time I did keto it took only 3-4 days to get into ketosis and then by day 6 I had very high ketone levels. I did keto for about 3 weeks and knocked myself out after about 2 weeks of traveling and making poor food decisions. It took a very long time, over a week for me to get back in. I was eating less than 40 g of net carbs per day but a little more than my goal of 30 g and not really working out much.

Just as I was finally showing trace amount of ketones, I knocked myself out again due to laziness (not going to the grocery store one weekend and refusing to leave the house so I ordered pizza). It took me about 4-5 days to show trace amounts again eating 30 g of net carbs per day plus doing cardio 4 days a week. I have been at trace levels for about 3 days, I'm hoping my levels will go up soon. Not sure why the first time was so much easier than this or the last time.