Kidney function....

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
So my sister the lovely nurse said I had some horribe keto breathe (thanks sis), and said that she wonders how my kidney function is? I said I don't know but she said you can't continue to be in ketosis?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ask her if she can cite a reference.

Here's a random article on the subject:
    http://www.lindora.com/faq/does-being-in-ketosis-while-dieting-for-weight-loss-cause-kidney-disease-or-damage/

Kidney disease is usually due to damage from high blood pressure and diabetes -- both due largely to chronic high carb consumption.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had to stop keto and up my carbs because of the dreaded keto breath, my husband wouldn't come within 10 feet of me :( It was most embarrassing, frustrating and just down right annoying, because I really enjoyed keto. This has been going on since November, so if it hasn't gone away by now I don't think it's going to. I have to keep my carbs at 100g or over to avoid it.

I have never heard of a correlation between this and kidney disease. Perhaps kidney problems produce off breath, but I doubt keto would be detrimental to our kidney's..
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Some people make blanket statements on misinformation. Keto breath usually resolves after a short time. Some have it more than others. No need to avoid keto if you have healthy kidneys.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Some drs/nurses actually think ketosis and ketoacidosis are the same thing. It's craziness.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Your sister, the Nurse, is wrong. A good friend of mine, a T1D, was also in Stage 2 Kidney Disease when she discovered what I was doing (I had lost 50 pounds at that time) and so she jumped on the bandwagon with me at the beginning of January 2015. Since that time, not only has she lost 40-50 pounds, reduced most of the amounts of her medications, but she has COMPLETELY REVERSED the kidney disease and as of her most recent blood/lab work, her kidney function is FANTASTIC! Funny thing is, when she asked her doctors if it was possible to reverse Kidney Disease, they told her it couldn't be done. Point: medical professionals don't know everything!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Meant stage 3.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. I guess they just need to do some more research. My mom and her both are nurses and keep saying how good I look but are worried about my overall inside health. I just tell them to research it all.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    my response to that stuff was always "that's actually not how it works" it usually intrigued whoever was questioning me to do their own research or at least stopped the questions. especially about the cholesterol thing, "yeah but what about your arteries, your gonna have a heart attack"
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered nurse, and I can tell you that medical professionals aren't educated in nutrition! We repeat what we have been told, and led to believe (read brainwashing, lol!) is true! Until the recommendations change, the verbiage will continue! You continue to do what is helping you! She will learn when she sees that you are getting healthier! Heck, according to conventional medical wisdom I should be dead by now, lol! Good luck! :smiley: