8 months post rny, can eat a lot and hunger is back

Options
tinyhounsome
tinyhounsome Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
so rny in August 2015, initally worked too well, losing 8lb a week 700 calories a day max and no hunger. then the problems started, couldnt take free fluids so after some barium swallows and endoscope tests they stretched the opening to my pouch twice. should say thats the top of my pouch, not the exit.

since then hunger is back, calories are way up ( approx 1800~2000 a day) looking for foods to keep my full for longer.
in a sitting i can eat a grilled chicken breast (100g) plus baked potato (100g) plus veg. then an hour later im hungry

my weight loss has stalled, been same for 6 weeks now, trying hard to get back on track so....

what foods really fill you up?
anyone else had problems with hunger back so soon?

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you might want to get in touch with your Bari Center surgeon/nutritionist. You've got to get back to what was working pre-surgery. Log the food, plan your daily meals/snacks out in advance. Weigh out your portions, and stop when you are SATISFIED, not necessarily when you are done. At 9 months, I'm recommended to be at around 1200 calories. Some days I'm a few hundred under, some days quite a bit over. Get in your water, Make protein and fat a priority, and ditch the carbs. Use smaller plates and forks, take smaller bites, and eat slower. Make sure you stop drinking 20 minutes before and 30 minutes after any meal or snack, otherwise it flushes out of your belly, and your stomach is empty again. This bariatric tool will only work if you follow the instructions on how to use it. You paid a lot for this, and put your body through a lot for this tool. You can and will do this, but you have to want it. Don't be "Bad Barry".

As for your questions. The foods that fill me up and keep me full are the ones with higher fat and protein contents. My morning protein shake (7:30am) usually lasts me until 11 - 12. Sometimes that shake magically transforms into bacon and eggs. If I am starving in that meantime (sometimes around 10:45) I'll allow a small snack. My snacks are usually a Old Wisconsin sausage stick, a half-ounce of nuts (almonds and walnuts have lower carb counts), a cheese wedge, or maybe a half-cup of plain Icelandic yogurt. Also during this time, I drink 20-40 oz of water and plain black coffee.

Lunch, I usually shoot for something meaty, with a little cheese. Today was leftover Bacon-wrapped Buffalo Chicken bites, and an ounce of cheese. Some days, it's Boars Head deli meat and whatever cheese looks great. Once a week, I may get a quarter-pound of BBQ from the local spot, or a bacon cheeseburger (without the bun). In a few hours, I'll probably snack on an ounce of those mixed nuts, dried edamame, half of a quest bar, or some yogurt. By the end of the work day, I will have another 30-40oz of water. On the drive home, I might eat that other half of the Quest bar, a square of dark chocolate (85% or higher), or I'll make a protein shake if I'm way under protein target.

At home, dinner will be something good. Steak kabobs, low carb pizza, Asian Turkey meatballs, or grilled porkchop/chicken/fish. If I exercised, or can fit it into my daily target, I may have a bourbon, or a beer (maybe both).

Yes, my hunger came back within 5 months of surgery. As did my craving for alcohol and carbs. Personally, carbs are a very dangerous thing. The more I give in to them, the more I want them. It's easy to lose control and binge out on garbage, especially since I have kids in the home who do not have as strict of a diet as I do. I'm trying harder to listen to my body, and only eat when it's actually hungry. Boredom eating/grazing is one of my old bad habits. As is eating too fast. Slowing down the intake gives your belly time to process how full it is, and get the signal to the brain.

To me, this grill analogy that I've been working on has really helped to understand Macro nutrition. Carbs are a hot and fast burning source of energy, (like a wad of paper). Once the paper starts burning, it flares up, and burns out quickly, unless more and more paper, is added. It's also what your body will attempt to burn first (other than alcohol) if it is in your system. Fat is your wood (sticks and logs). It burns hot, but takes a lot longer to burn through. If there's no paper in the fire pit, your wood will burn for a lot longer before it runs out. Fat keeps you fuller-longer. Protein is your charcoal. It's the hardest to light, but it stays warm and holds heat the longest. The most important key in all of this is making sure you are eating the right proportions of your Macros. Just like when making a fire, it's best if you have all 3 ingredients, a little paper to start the fire, a lot of wood to keep the fire hot, and coal to keep it going for the rest of the night.
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @anbrdr -- The grill analogy is great! :smiley:

@tinyhounsome -- It sounds like you need to get back to your basics. First things first, find your WHY? Why did you have surgery? Why did you choose to go through all of that. Once you get that back in mind, start with HOW...how did you start changing your life style when you were 'forced' to do so (ie pre surgery diet, first few weeks/months). Then after you get that all situated, start from scratch- if that means logging every single calorie (I'm talking vitamins & supplements & gum oh my) or marking your hand every time you hit 8 oz of water, whatever it was that assisted in your initial weight loss get back there, mentally and physically (as far as intake goes).

I wont lie and say maintenance is easy as pie (mmm pie), but it CAN be done. I am at 10+yrs plus out and have maintained my weight for the most part. I'd like to get rid of the last 10#, but whenever I felt like I was failing or slipping, I go right back to where I began-- the basics. I agree whole heartedly with Anbrdr, you CAN and WILL do this....but how bad you want it will determine your success!

Good Luck, you got it.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you weigh your food, at least until you really know portion sizes. I keep a food scale at home, one at the girlfriend's place, and one at work.