I'm scared to talk to people...

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
Because my breathe is so bad. I'm hoping this means I'm back in ketosis and maybe weight will still start coming off again.

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I bought something called Mint Assure to take when I have to be up close and personal with people...like the dentist. I have no idea if it actually works but it makes me feel better. It's parsley oil capsules coated in a minty xylitol coating so you let the coating dissolve so it's kind of like a fast acting mint and then swallow the capsules for a longer lasting effect.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Interesting. I'll have to look for those!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Following this thread, as I had to up my carbs because of this very embarrassing problem. I googled for hours on end trying to find a "cure", but no luck :(
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with Altoids minis.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Do you have to eat them all day and night though?
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Protein may be the cause.
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/43067167.php
    I get it's not a scientific article, but there still could be something to it. The first few times I went LC I ate just meat and cheese and had terrible breath. I'm doing it differently now with a better balance of fats and protein and I don't have a problem!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 I'm in the same boat. And it's definitely not protein breath, I've tried a bunch of low protein days and it doesn't help. Fortunately I work from home and my husband tolerates it. I chew gum and use breath spray when I leave the house or have a meeting. But I had a job interview a while back and intentionally knocked myself out of ketosis just to get rid of the bad breath. I have another interview next week and am planning a carb day this weekend. I don't want to do it the day before as I want time to recover from it. Last time I upped my carbs, it was 2-3 weeks before the dragon breath came back. I'm kind of dreading having a normal office job again, I'll probably try drinking mint tea all day and having mints in my pocket in case someone comes in my office. I'm 4 months in and it has not gotten any better at all. And I've tried drinking a LOT of water with the hopes of flushing the ketones out via urine instead of my breath... but that really hasn't helped either. To get to the point where it makes a difference i'm literally living in the bathroom.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I ate a little too many carbs last night and the breathe isn't horrible today but in a sad way I'm said it's gone, because I may have kicked myself out of ketosis....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No promises, but this peppermint oil is potent stuff. You can put a drop on your toothbrush or rub it (diluted!) on your gums.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083I2OO6

One drop is enough to turn the smelliest outhouse in mid-summer into a celestial steam bath, and two would make a corpse smile! (IMHO)

415Nme%2Bp9yL._SY400_.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    One of the podcasts I listened to this week said something about that as far as long term, it is temporary, but it's caused partially by the toxins accumulated in our stored fats, and that it can take a while for our system to "burn clean" and not create that reaction.

Some can smell it, others can taste it, some chase off friends and family, and any combination therein...

Usually I notice the scent change in my urine, first, @nikoba. And maybe just entrust one person to give you a heads up?
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Willing to pay the price when you consider the alternative.

Aloud minis and regular brushing mitigate things.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    One of the podcasts I listened to this week said something about that as far as long term, it is temporary, but it's caused partially by the toxins accumulated in our stored fats, and that it can take a while for our system to "burn clean" and not create that reaction.

Some can smell it, others can taste it, some chase off friends and family, and any combination therein...

Usually I notice the scent change in my urine, first, @nikoba. And maybe just entrust one person to give you a heads up?

Whoa!

Is it like asparagus runoff x10?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    Willing to pay the price when you consider the alternative.

Aloud minis and regular brushing mitigate things.

I'm with you!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Do you have to eat them all day and night though?

I don't find that to be necessary. On bad days I have popped one every couple of hours. They're rather intense as far as mints go, so they seem to stick around for a bit.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Interesting that you point out smell. I have been randomly and sporadically smelling ammonia for the past week or so. Could this be related?

I don't do too bad with keto breath, but BOY does my pee stink. LOL
  • Christine_72
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    Maybe this is a silly question, so pardon the ignorance...but how do you know that your breath is that bad? Can you smell/taste it yourself or is it that friends/family comment? Just curious, as I'd hate to be emitting toxic fumes at my office, but not know it because no one is bold enough to tell me.

I cant smell or taste it.. But my husband tells me straight away! lol There's NO kissing etc and I hold my hand up in front of my mouth when I talk to him or face in the other direction. And I probably look deformed when I'm out and talk to other people because i try and talk out the side of my mouth!

So yeah, upping my carbs was worth it for me. I wish it wasn't the case, i really do. But i cant handle being around people with bad breath, and I refuse to be one of them..
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Interesting that you point out smell. I have been randomly and sporadically smelling ammonia for the past week or so. Could this be related?

I don't do too bad with keto breath, but BOY does my pee stink. LOL

Amonia scented breath is more an indicator of high protein intake. Exhaled ketones actually smell kind of sweet, but in an acidic way. A little more like scented nail polish.... Lol
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Sweet, but in an acidic way.

Ahhh, like a fine Sauterne......