Running and LCHF

Options
60to35
60to35 Posts: 297 Member
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread asking for advice about long distance running and LCHF. I want to thank everyone for their input- it really helped a lot. I got a ton of helpful information.

I am in fourth week of this lifestyle and I can say that the fat burning has been turned on. My legs were pretty sluggish when I first started, but I was determined to stay in ketosis and stop my body from relying on glucose. I ran 6 hilly miles yesterday and it felt like someone turned the afterburners on. I have never felt so good. My exercise induced asthma is gone and I had lots of stamina for the hills. I reduced my min/mile from 11:30 3 weeks ago to 9:50!!! Best of all I was not ravenous after my run, and did not eat what I had burned which is what I used to do.

I have never preached a "diet" before, but if anyone asks what I am doing differently, look out!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    That is really amazing! I've just recently started jogging I haven't done much because of the weather but I have been amazed how much easier it has been for me than ever before
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    YES!!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think these results turn most of us into evangelists. Feels like you can run forever, doesn't it?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Thanks for the update!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Off looking for the original thread. I just started running and have been wondering about this, as a friend wants to do a half-marathon next year.
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    @Twibbly - it shouldn't be too far back. Really good link to a video on an ultra runner
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I watched it. I need to be serious about eating better.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Great news!! I've been on the higher side of low carb for the most part (averaging right around 100 carbs a day). Even at that level, combined with my lifting program, I have been feeling my running get easier. Yesterday I squeezed in a 2 mile treadmill run before work and my breathing wasn't labored at all...which is totally not the norm for me! So nice :) Congrats!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I just started back jogging on the trails this month after a year of zero running due to RA flares. Oddly I do much better than when I jogged regularly. My walk breaks are fewer and shorter, my breathing is less labored, and no more side cramps! I love it! :)