Ditch the calorie counting

Options
madkcole
madkcole Posts: 110 Member
Hello everyone. I have been tracking calories on MFP since last July with varying degrees of success. Then I started reading about LCHF on websites like Ditch the Carbs and Diet Doctor and decided to try it despite my love of fruits, sweets and bread. I started Easter Sunday and am now 19 days in and am down 6 pounds. I'm stunned. Haven't seen the scale move this regularly since last year. This way of eating seems to make so much more sense than counting all your calories and weighing everything. Although I'm still doing those things for a little while longer to help me learn how to meet all my macros, which is my primary focus now. Most days I'm under my calorie goal because I'm not as hungry as I was when I was focused on the calories. I love this LC forum and have learned a lot from everyone. Thank you all! Would love to have some LCHF friends!

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That's the beauty of low carbing isn't it! Being under calorie goal cos you're not hungry - not because you've tried really really hard today and are going to bed miserable!! lol - I still track everything too as I want to get the right ratios for Ketosis.. and I'm a person that can easily overdo the calories so I don't count them as such, but just keep track of them to make sure I don't go over my BMR too much (if I get that high in the first place, as usually i'm under too!)
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi @madkcole! Wow you are doing so well, what a relief it is to not weigh and measure everything. I am 2 weeks into Ad Lib April challenge where we are not counting our calories. I am loving it so far. I am still logging to keep a eye on my carbs (under 20g) but like you I am finding that some days I am under my calorie allowance and I am satisfied with my food. So much less stress doing it this way. Feel free to friend me, my food diary is open to friends.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm just amazed at how "unhungry" I am these days. Although sometimes I feel almost gluttonous at the amount of fat I'm adding to veggies and such. LOL Being hungry while focusing on calories drove me to fall of the calorie wagon from time to time, and then I would get mad at myself for not having enough will power to just ride out the hunger. LCHF is such a better option for me. I fact, I find myself actually looking to add veggies more to make sure my carb intake doesn't go too low. Something I never did when focusing on calorie counting.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    madkcole wrote: »
    I'm just amazed at how "unhungry" I am these days. Although sometimes I feel almost gluttonous at the amount of fat I'm adding to veggies and such. LOL Being hungry while focusing on calories drove me to fall of the calorie wagon from time to time, and then I would get mad at myself for not having enough will power to just ride out the hunger. LCHF is such a better option for me. I fact, I find myself actually looking to add veggies more to make sure my carb intake doesn't go too low. Something I never did when focusing on calorie counting.

I totally agree with you.. I lost a lot of weight through calorie counting years ago.. and a significant amount before that by low fat - no calorie counting.. on neither of those did I feel as satisfied and CALM as I do now... there's such a lovely sense of wellbeing I am feeling when I have eaten enough to feel full and know instinctively I can be below calories anyway without trying much!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Counting is important when we have disordered WOE's. As others have noted when ketosis kills the cravings some our disordered way of eating tends to fix itself so we no longer have an eating disorder then counting is optional I have found personally.