I seem to be holding fluid.

Options
tishball
tishball Posts: 155 Member
ok so here is the thing. I havent budged a bit on the scale for the last few days, this isn't a problem I expect that. I am eating 15 or so carbs a day, am eating high fat. Keto sticks say im in ketosis. I am drinking stock bullion and adding a pinch of salt. However for the last few days I feel my rings are a bit tighter, like I have fluid. I drink about 5 pints of water a day, that is with coffe clear water sparkling water and the stock. . Does this happen to you? I expect all of a sudden this fluid will just go, ( and I am doing so many trips to the bathroom as it is, I think I am getting my daily excersise just going to pee so often). I can't work out why I am holding fluid. Maybe I am not taking enough salt,, even with the bullion.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Water and sodium are intricately linked. Your kidneys should regulate both pretty well, but sometimes it takes a few days to reach balance.

High sodium can lead to fluid retention in the blood -- blood volume expands.

Low sodium can lead to fluid retention in tissues -- fluid leaves the blood and enters cells to maintain sodium homeostasis in the blood.

So, yeah, it's probably a sodium issue -- either high or low.

How much sodium are you getting from that bullion? If below 3000mg/d, try more bullion.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you female? Where are you at with respect to menopause?
    I went through GOOFY periods of retaining water like crazy when I was peri-menopausal.
  • tishball
    Options
    Yea peri menopausal,,,,,,,, balls. lol . Just wait it out it will go away. Still though it is good to get feedback, I know I am getting enough salt in the bullion, so that was sorted. I am just getting crabby..lol
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ah, something I know nothing about. :)

Still, it's fascinating how several different hormones regulate fluid and sodium levels. Including estrogen:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2849969/
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    my body will retain like crazy at times I still don't understand how my body works lol. I but I know it has a lot to do with where I'm at in my cycle because my diet will not change or i'll do things that should make me retain and they don't, but then it'll change and i'll feel all puffy and then the next day it'll be all gone and the scale will drop 2-3 lbs. its wacky you just gotta wait it out.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    For about three days now I have been up 2-3 pounds and notice slight swelling of ankles. As of yet I have not figured out a WOE change to explain it. It just happens from time to time then the weight drops down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tishball wrote: »
    Yea peri menopausal,,,,,,,, balls. lol . Just wait it out it will go away. Still though it is good to get feedback, I know I am getting enough salt in the bullion, so that was sorted. I am just getting crabby..lol

Welcome to my world!
  • tishball
    Options
    Well I am glad others have this, lol, sorry folks , that sounds mean. But now I know that others have this too, I thought I was doing something very wrong, because everyone else is talking about this massive water weight, I lost weight alright, but I know my puffy fingers shouldn't be puffy. I feel thinner though if that makes any sense at all. I mean lighter in my steps, I don't feel FAT. Which is a great bonus. I will just wait it out. @GaleHawkins . I wonder would you just be standing too much? would that give you puffy ankles, maybe you should just put your feet up for a while.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For about three days now I have been up 2-3 pounds and notice slight swelling of ankles. As of yet I have not figured out a WOE change to explain it. It just happens from time to time then the weight drops down.

@GaleHawkins - this might be minor "slips" in your thyroid function as you lose down to the next notch of weight and it has to reset it's level. You might check that on a bloodwork panel - and maybe your iodine, selenium, too, just to be certain. I've recently discovered that this is one of the major symptoms of thyroid problems - yours might be sluggish and just have a harder time keeping up - like it's not as elastic as when we were younger, like our eyes?
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting about boullion, thanks for the reminder!