As seen on an MFP blog that popped up on my feed...

Options
nicsflyingcircus
nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,454 Member
This easy one-skillet chicken dinner by Cooking Light could be ready in less than 40 minutes tonight. Fresh flavors of thyme, lemon and parsley highlight the wholesome ingredients — chicken, carrots and potatoes — featured in this dish. Serve with a side of whole-grain rice for a complete meal.

This actually didn't look awful until they suggested adding rice to a dish that already included potatoes and carrots to make it a "complete" meal.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    What the .....! Yes please, extra starch along with more starch, and a starchy sugary vegetable.... sure.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    yeah its weird, I never realized how odd it was to add extra sides to things that were already complete meals until I went lc. before my bf would always want, meat veg and starch, why did we always need some sort of potatoey thing or bread/roll when we already had protein and carbs and fat from the meat and veg. it's like a habit thing, always have to have a side of bread or some such. now I've gotten to the point where sometimes we only have meat with fat depending on the previous food for the day. humans love their starches though!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Starch is cheap & filling (volume wise) so that is why it's always been in 'rib sticking' meals on a budget from wayyy back. Them farm boys not only got eggs & bacon or ham, they got passed the bread basket as often as possible. Same with why bread is on tables at restaurants, makes you feel like you are getting your money's worth, lol. Piles of food.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Even here on this side of the atlantic the ol carbs are a staple too. For example yorkshire pudding which is served with roast beef, was a pancake type batter cooked in the fat of the meat, ( thus giving it the flavour of the meat) and served to fill the bellies of the hard working men of yorkshire.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    tishball wrote: »
    Even here on this side of the atlantic the ol carbs are a staple too. For example yorkshire pudding which is served with roast beef, was a pancake type batter cooked in the fat of the meat, ( thus giving it the flavour of the meat) and served to fill the bellies of the hard working men of yorkshire.

mmmmmm that sounds so good right now. I'll splurge for really good breads. I'm always disappointed if I give in to lesser quality stuff so I try to hold off for the good stuff.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    tishball wrote: »

Oh how I love yorkie pud!! I made a keto version from a recipe I found on Pinterest using coconut flour (think they call them popovers in US) and I've found another recipe using whey powder so going to try that too!!

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Why did I look at this thread when I'm starving and why are we talking about Yorkshire puds in a low carb forum? Lol

I am tempted to try the low carb version one day, but right now that would be a bad gateway drug for me, I'd be munching on the real thing before I knew it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Why did I look at this thread when I'm starving and why are we talking about Yorkshire puds in a low carb forum? Lol

I am tempted to try the low carb version one day, but right now that would be a bad gateway drug for me, I'd be munching on the real thing before I knew it.

"Gateway drug", ain't that the truth!
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Mfp isn't low carb. Just this tiny little corner of it is....
    Reset your goals and watch as it plugs in a 50 % carbs level by default.
    I was happy to find this little board.