Too much fat- safe or setback?

Options
madkcole
madkcole Posts: 110 Member
Hello everyone. I have a question about meeting my macro goals. In an previous post I mentioned that I'm focusing more on meeting my macros than calories since starting LCHF. So far it's worked very well and am down 7 pounds in 21 days. Today, however I went over my fat goal by quite a bit and am wondering if that's okay or will cause a set back. My macros are currently:
Fat 65%
Protein 20%
Carbs 15%

Today my fat intake was 75%. My very good friend who has had great success on a KETO diet says it's preferable to go over (if you go over) your protein than fat and that if you stay under your fat goal that's okay. Is that true for LCHF too?

I think one of the things that kept slowing my weight loss (before switching to LCHF) was that my protein intake was too high, which was one of the reasons I switched to LCHF. I've read on Diet Doctor.com that moderate protein is preferable than high protein. Any advice from personal experience would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. With low carb the idea is to keep your carbs low eat enough protein so your don't lose muscle and eat fat to satiety. Some days you won't be hungry at all and others you'll want to eat a horse. As long as you keep your carbs in line and follow your hunger cues you should be naturally eating at a deficit without tracking calories.
  • madkcole
    Options
    Thanks. That helps.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I tend to hit the brakes and not lard spoonsful of coconut or olive oil into my evening broth when my calorie count is getting close to my daily max.

As a weak-willed night owl, having an upper calorie limit makes stopping the day's intake easier and, practically, allows fasting to start earlier. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to eat unrefined coconut oil at night like I used to eat ice cream back in the day (but without chocolate sauce).
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My fat macro is 75%. I average between 75-100 gm of fat each day. Weight loss is steady, and labs are better than ever! I believe you will be fine at that level.
  • madkcole
    Options
    That's awesome, thanks for input!