Help I'm having a hard time meeting my calorie goal

Options
melissa7662
melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
Hello everyone!
I am having a hard time meeting my MFP recommend calorie intake of 1700.
I try to eat 45 grams of carbs per meal (per nutritionist) and 15 grams at one snack a day.
I try to have a fruit, dairy, carbs, protein, and vegetables per meal (well veggies for lunch and dinner).
I am currently on Metformin 1000 twice a day and Victoza (sp?). I do eat out a lot (mostly home style resturants)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    We really need a little more information. What calorie intake are you currently eating? And are you currently gaining, maintaining, or losing weight and how much per week?
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa! Do you eat over or under that? If it's under, try increasing your healthy fats...almonds (unsalted) and avocado and use olive oil in salad dressings. They are heart healthy and calorie dense...if it's too many calories you consume now, step up your exercise and try to cook on the weekends and freeze stuff (my saving grace) so I have healthy and controlled portions of homemade soup and premade chicken etc...stock your pantry with itsms like tuna and black beans (watch beans) carby and lots of diabetics can't tolerate then but in small doses they are great!!
    If you give more info, people here have super ideas!!!
    All my best wishes!!!!! I am just celebrating my 1 year post diabetes diagnosis!!! You can do this!!
  • melissa7662
    Options
    @Owlfan88
    I am getting between 1000-1300 a day. MFP suggest 1700 a day.
    I have been losing weight too fast (to begin with I was only eating around 800 calories and had no idea it was that low until I started logging.) I had lost about 15 pounds in around 2 weeks. Have lost 40ish since the 1st of the year.
    I go to the Dr today and will see if my weight has changed in the last 2 weeks.
  • melissa7662
    Options
    @JaneKnoll1
    I actually have a hard time getting to the 1700 recommend calories. I have been between 1000-1300 a day. Trying to add snacks and food without going to high on carbs and sodium also. It's hard to balance each thing and not go over (protein, and, car, sodium, ect.)
    I don't even really know the true amounts of each I should be trying to get.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    @JaneKnoll1
    I actually have a hard time getting to the 1700 recommend calories. I have been between 1000-1300 a day. Trying to add snacks and food without going to high on carbs and sodium also. It's hard to balance each thing and not go over (protein, and, car, sodium, ect.)
    I don't even really know the true amounts of each I should be trying to get.
    I know your pain!!! I struggle to get enough calories. I am going to see a dietician soon and recommend if you can see one too.

• judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    when doing everything right, when I get the right amount of carbs, protein and fat, I too come up short for calories. But, I think that's 'normal'. I think we would drive ourselves nuts if we try to get all the numbers right. At least for me it's proving difficult, so I concentrate on the carbs and protein, and because of pancreatitis, the fat. As Jane says, a session or two with a dietician can be extremely helpful. CDA has these services for free.
  • melissa7662
    Options
    I asked my DR to refer me to nutritionist just yesterday. I meet with one 2 years ago. But honestly I didn't know the questions ( at that time) I needed to ask. I am going to try and be prepared this time. I do think logging my food here will help.

What tools do y'all use?
  • JaneKnoll1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Melissa, I use the free MFP food logging app on my phone...I sync my Fitbit with it. I know what you mean about not knowing what to ask when you are first doing this...I could only increase my carbs to 40-44 after I lost a bunch of weight and did more exercise. I had to start at around 30-35mg per meal. My biggest recommendation would be to keep your carbs steady between all 3 meals...not go almost nothing for breakfast and lunch and then go for it at supper. My blood sugar started to improve once I keep it more evenly spaced. Plus snacks if you want. I also eat lots of my carbs in the form of veggies and some fruit and whole grains. I try and eat as homemade as possible and include veggies at breakfast. That would be a general recommendation...I am 100% more satisfied eating a good sized breakfast (usually split into 2 parts...pre and post exercise) I don't crave as much. Embrace your healthy food journey!!!