Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building - Take 2

Options

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Iwhayes, I don't care how many times I read your lifts, I am stunned. Mainly because I can't fathom lifting that amount of weight. You OHP 70 lbs. Now that's a bad-$$.
    Kerryatoon, love reading your progress as well. You sound like such a happy person.
    Dcresider, you are starting to conquer the diet portion. I know it's not easy but you are starting to figure it out. Keep at it.
    Sixpacklady, you are consistent as always.
    I would love to see pictures and/or measurements of everyone when we are all done with our 16 weeks.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week:8 / Workout: B /Total Weeks: 24

Deadlifts: 106 lbs 4x6
    Note: I was blown away at how I was able to just quickly do one rep after the next. It happened out of no where on the last set of all sets. I only increased by 1 lbs but I wondering if I should increase by 5 next time. We will see. But that felt amazing!

OHP: 46 lbs 6,6,5,5

Inverted Rows: 4x6
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Week 6 - Wednesday's SL workout + cardio

Squats: 5 x 6 @ 115 lbs. No problems with moving up,
    Overhead Press: 5 x 5 @ 55 lbs. The last set/reps were hard but finished. I guess I'll be staying at this weight for a while.
    Deadlifts: 1 x 5@ 155 lbs. WOW! These felt so heavy but I finished the reps. I may need gloves since I'm getting callouses.
    Romanian deadlifts: 2x 6 @ 90 lbs.
    Cardio: bicycling (6 miles) and 20 minutes on elliptical for a change.

A question on Macros: I compared the Scooby calculator (TDEE of 2072) vs. IIFYM calculator (TDEE of 1728) and the difference was off by 300 calories. This gets a bit confusing for me in terms of how much I should eat a day when I'm working out. I guess I can average them out and deduct 15% - 20%^ for fat loss which comes to 1520- 1615 calories a day. I think this is manageable. What do you all think?
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks DDHFree! You guys are my inspiration to keep on keeping on! Know what I mean? I don't know that I would have started or been as consistent without this group!

Dcresider - I'm still searching for the answers to the right macros. My weight loss seems to be stalled. Maybe with the loss that I've had, it's time to readjust.

Congrats to everyone's progress. We're at the half-way point! Yeah Us!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Dcreider, hopefully someone very knowledgeable about macros will chime in. I still don't put a lot of emphasis on it at this point in my journey other than protein. I probably need to though.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My weight loss also have slowed down to 1 lb/month. I am aiming to get to 110s, not sure how realistic that will be...

dcresider - heybales has spreadsheet which I really like, maybe you can give that a try:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/813720

Today's workout

Deadlift - 125 lbs 3 X 5
    OHP - 47.5 lbs 3 X 5
    Assisted pullups
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Day three of staying ON POINT on my macros accomplished!!! Target on calories. I am still quit smoking!!! Weight holding steady at 147-150 lb.

Went to the gym last night here's my work out:

SL:
    Squat 5x5 100lb !!! :)
    OH Press 5x5 (55,50,50,50,50lb) had to deload.. failed last rep, first set.
    Deadlift 1x5 95lb

Accesory:
    Upright rows: 4x12 35lb
    Hanging Leg raises: 3x15
    Run sprints/ brisk walk: about .7 mile

I have been stalled on weight for about 6 weeks but I have also been able to continue to lose inches consistently on my hips, waist and thighs. See impressive gains on my weight lifting. AND have been able to increase my cals from 1200 to 1600 daily (I felt I needed a break from the heavy deficit) All this while maintaining my current weight!

I would still like to get my weight down into the 135-140 range but I also am so enjoying the strength gains and being able to eat more right now I'm not pushing too much on the weight loss. I'll definitely be revisiting this topic later and will be watching to see how you all are doing it. So please let me know what's working for you!
  • dcresider
    Options
    @sixpacklady - thanks for sending me the link. It seems like I get the same macro number when compared to Scooby and IIFYM. This three should give me a good guideline. Thanks.

Today's workout: 5 mile run outside. It was beautiful out and it's a nice change from the treadmill.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    That's an interesting link that I've not visited before Sixpacklady. Thanks for sharing.

What I love about this process is that when we get to point where losing is very slow, we can take a break, maintain, and resume when ready. But what I really love is that while I'm not at the point of looking amazing naked, I feel great in most of my clothes. This has given me a great sense of freedom in that I don't feel like I have to rush to lose anymore. Don't get me wrong, I really want to get to my goal but now I can just REALLY ENJOY the process since I don't have to hide behind big clothes anymore.

Kerryatoon, that's great that you've been able to go from 1200 to 1600 calories. I think I finally feel the need for a break as well. My deficit has not been on point these last few weeks so not sure if I will have a loss. But I am okay with that as I love that I know what to do now if I do not have a loss.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Week 8/Day 17/Total Weeks 8
    workout SL A

I know I posted in here for day 16, seems to have disappeared!

Squat: 45lbs 1x5, 65 1x5, 75, 5x5

BP: 45lbs 1x5, 55 1x5, 70 1x5

Row: 30lb DB's x2, 5x5 had to do incline bench rows as the rack & bar were being used
    +
    Skullcrushers: 25lb BB 2x15

Shrugs: 25lb DB's 2x15

Also mowed grass for 6 hours so that had to count for something haha!
  • lwhayes820
    Options

Also mowed grass for 6 hours so that had to count for something haha!
    [/quote]

You're absolutely right - it counts! All activity - but, especially mowing in the hot sun! ;)
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Week 8/Day23/Total Weeks 8
    Workout A on Wednesday

Late posting, but here goes:
    Squats 5x5 @ 150lbs - felt good, but waited the 3 minutes. Was challenging.

Bench Press 5x5 @ 100 lbs! Felt wobbly on the last reps of sets 4 and 5. Right near the end, didn't think I would make it, but pushed through.

Barbell Row 5x5 @ 95lbs. Deloaded. This is my tough exercise. Really wanted to work on form to be sure my back is really working.
    Tried putting the barbell on the low j-hooks of my power rack to see if it was better to lift from this than from ground. I've seen people in You-tube videos do it both ways. In the end, I preferred lifting from the ground.

Thursday
    30 min HIIT Elliptical. Seeing an improvement in this area.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    A fun tool to see our strength standards - http://strengthlevel.com/

I am in the novice category, what is yours ? :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week:8 / Workout: A /Total Weeks: 24
    Squats - 78 lbs 4x6
    Bench Press - 63 lbs 5,6,5,6 (No idea why but had to drop by 2 lbs. Just could not lift the 65 lbs this morning.)
    Pendlay Rows - 65 lbs 4x6
  • DDHFree
    Options
    A fun tool to see our strength standards - http://strengthlevel.com/

I am in the novice category, what is yours ? :)

I'm right there with you. A complete novice. LOL!
  • dcresider
    Options
    WEEK: 7 - I realized this was week 7 for me since you guys are at week 8. I added on a few more arm lift accessories because if I can't get any other part of my body to look tone, at least I can work on my arms.

Squats: 5 x 6 @ 115 lbs.
    Bench Press: 5 x 6 @ 65 lbs.
    Rows: 5 x 6 @ 70 lbs. I felt it was a little harder this week.

extra:
    Assisted pull ups: 3x8 @ 13 - I wanted to get extras on my arms and shoulder.
    Assisted dips: 3x8 @ 12 - Need to work on the triceps a bit more.
    Extras: 2 planks at 1 minute each
    Cardio: bicycling 6 miles

Macros: I've stayed within my macros this week and under my calories goal. I have not weighed myself and will do so on Monday.

• lwhayes820
    Options
    Week 8/ Workout B/ Total Weeks 8

Squats - 5x6@ 155lbs all sets felt very good.

OHP- 5x5 @ 75lbs felt better this time around

Deadlifts- 1x5 @ 200lbs This was a tough lift. I wasn't sure whether to count it because I had to pause between reps. But, now I know that as you lift heavier, it's okay to pause and set-up for the next lift.

Overall a good workout, especially given my limited sleep this week. Looking forward to sleeping in! :#

Have a good weekend!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Hello beautiful ladies!

I have good news and not-so-good news. Which do you want first? Okay, not-so-good news first. It appears I have inadvertently (as in unplanned) eaten over maintenance calories (on average) for 2 weeks now. I logged some days and didn't log others. I guess I just really needed a break but not happy about the way I did it. I probably gained 1 to 1.5 lbs but won't know for sure until things level out over the next few days. I should have listened to my body and mind but wanted to resist until I reach a 120 lbs. Oh well.

Now, for the good news. I don't know if it's due to the extra calories or not but I increase my deadlifts from 106 last week to 110 lbs this week. My highest yet--even higher than pre-injury deadlift weight. In addition, I was able to lift ALL the reps for each set so DARN quickly and efficiently that it blew me away. I simply put the way down and stood right back up with the quickest half sec paused that I've ever experienced. I felt like super woman. I can't wait to deadlift again. I really hope I keep this strength as I return to a deficit.

Week: 9/ Workout: B/ Total Weeks: 25

Deadlifts - 4x6@ 110 lbs.
    This has been the best feeling since starting this program.

OHP- 4x6 @ 46 lbs.
    Finally able to do all reps for all sets once again. I have concluded that I will not get any stronger on this lift without some accessory exercises which I may incorporate at the end of this 2nd 16 week round.

Inverted Rows- 4X6
  • dcresider
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi all. I'm heading out for my SL workout although I'm having shoulder pain again. I did some research and looks like I have shoulder tendonitis (not necessarily rotator cuff).

I found a youtube video on how to self treat this problem and the pains seems to have eased quite a bit. Thought you guys might be intested for those that are suffering shoulder pains. See 1:20 which are my symptoms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmIvTglBnQ .
  • dcresider
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Week 8 - SL workout + cardio

Squats
    : 5 x 6 @ 115 lbs.
    Overhead Press: 1 x 5 @ 55 lbs. My shoulder tendonitis is back. I could barely lift one at 55 lbs. let alone the bar itself. :(
    Deadlifts: 1 x 6 @ 155 lbs. Stayed here.
    Romanian deadlifts: 4x 6 @ 80 lbs.
    Cardio: bicycling (6 miles) and 30 minutes easy run.