Hyper with no symptoms and gaining weight

Options
lazieats
lazieats Posts: 185 Member
Lost my thyroid to cancer a few years back. Been on synthroid ever since at a high dose. My cholesterol is really bad, but they can't increase my thyroid meds as they normally would when putting someone on meds for cholesterol because I am technically in the hyperthyroid range.
However, I have not one symptom of being hyper. No temp changes, no fast heartbeat, I can sleep like nobodies business, and I can gain weight like a nasty boss.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone else is in this same boat and maybe commiserate? Trade stories of how to make weight loss work with this craziness going on? I don't know. Just feeling stumped after a one pound gain from a few days being slightly off plan last week, maybe.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Could conversion be an issue? Conversion can be problematic because of vitamin and or mineral deficiencies. In the last 10 years or so genetic changes have been found in some which amplify this difficulty in converting. It is possible to get a genetic test. (Thyroid UK has a link for UK people. STTM should also have info too)

It seems if one has one copy of this faulty gene one is less able to convert, the more so in some who have two copies of this gene, if both sides of their family have this change. Sorry this is vague, not a good day. Thyroid UK suggest printing off papers from links supplied in order to make your case for additional t3 supplementation.

In situations where a person is surviving on insufficient t3 in their cells the cells perform their tasks less well, there is no method of testing cells to see if they are t3 deficient at the moment. This could account for the old fashioned method of providing NDT till the symptoms go, reputedly being so effective.

Somewhere I read something like 16% of us with hypo thyroid problems do not respond to t4 only. T4 supplementation tends to suppress the tsh which gives the doctors the idea that one should be Hypo.

Hope this makes sense and it helps
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I think this is a question for your cancer "doctor".
  • evansjune
    evansjune Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had RAI together rid of my thyroid in 2001. Just recently, I started to gain weight, be fatigued all of the time and plan old just feel dumpy. When. I had my levels checked I was hyper. Since cutting back on my meds and switching a low gluten and no soy diet, I am feeling MUCH better. I hope you find something that works for you.