Is the tide beginning to turn?

Options
becwana
becwana Posts: 157 Member
I'm in the uk and this way of eating is really not very common - I literally stumbled by accident on an article that started me on this path.
In the last month I have noticed pre-prepared courgette (zucchini?) spaghetti and cauliflower rice in one of the main supermarkets - then in a well known high street shop cafe they had courgette spaghetti bolognaise promoted as a new healthy dish - today in a different supermarket there was prepared courgette and butternut squash spaghetti.
Saturday I went to a play cafe with my son and there was an option for coffee with coconut oil.

I gather from reading recipes, blogs etc.. That there is maybe more choice and a bigger range on offer in general in the US so maybe this is not that unusual over there but definitely is here!

I am really getting the impression that the tide of misinformation is beginning to turn. After all, the supermarkets must have their ear to the ground about what products to sell so must be thinking there will be a rise in demand for these things soon?!

Anyway, I am happy as it's just that bit easier to stick to my goals even after a long day knowing I can grab these things from the shelves!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get coconut oil in my iced coffee at Starbucks, maybe someday. I have seen zoodles for sale at wegmans lately, they are usually pretty up on the food trends. It's catching on, the more people that start on there own and spread the info the faster it'll grow.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think both the low carb and paleo diets are two ways-of-eating that are definitely becoming more mainstream, and the products you saw would work well for that too. So the demand is growing! I have noticed quite a change over just the last two years in my stores too, especially Costco (a giant warehouse store). Consumers rule!

And I agree that the tide of information is turning, and thus peoples fears are subsiding too. (No, they will not starve or become nutritionally depleted if they don't eat refined carbs all day and night long. lol) Last week my sister texted me saying she is going on a keto diet, not realizing I have been on that same diet for 3 months now. I had only told her I was low carbing it, I found it funny we are both now on keto.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I think both the low carb and paleo diets are two ways-of-eating that are definitely becoming more mainstream, and the products you saw would work well for that too. So the demand is growing! I have noticed quite a change over just the last two years in my stores too, especially Costco (a giant warehouse store). Consumers rule!

A Costco just opened a few miles from my home. What are your favorite low carb/ keto friendly products that you buy there?

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

A Costco just opened a few miles from my home. What are your favorite low carb/ keto friendly products that you buy there?

Frozen ready to eat shrimp. I eat them several times per week as an appetizer to take the edge off my hunger before supper.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Cello whisps! Cheesy chips that are great as a salad topping or a little munch! They are in a large orange bag in the chips/cracker section. 1g of carbs per serving.

• landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I buy huge tubs of organic coconut oil at costco.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Not sure if the tide is about to reverse direction but clearly Low Carb is becoming less negative in the medical work. The more success people have the more will want to try it I expect.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's a slow tide, but I'm certainly seeing and hearing more lately!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just recently hubs saw riced cauliflower in a package at the market and nearly fell over. He kept saying: LOOK!! They have what you do! LOOK!

Yes, perhaps the tide is turning...
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I really wish that stuff were available in Germany. I'm kinda sick of the lack of variety. Costco has such awesome options. That huge brick of Cabot Cove cheddar is my favorite. Also the mozzarella balls in basil and olive oil. Yum. And I covet the commercial size Old Bay and Montreal Steak seasonings.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I wouldn't know where to begin! They have a growing selection of organic foods from veggies to dairy to coconut oils. Their meat selection includes more and more antibiotic free, wild, grass fed...etc. They are now stocking low carb favorites like big bags of cauliflower pieces, almond butter, almond flour, chia seeds, kerrygold butter, and even a mayonnaise made from avodado -so no soy oil! Plus their normal selection of tuna fish, spices, supplements, cheese...etc are the good quality stuff at great prices. Their prepared rotisserie chickens make a great quick dinner.

If you can join Costco and have some storage space - because their bulky soaps and house supply stuff are great too - I'd recommend you getting a membership.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at a local coffee shop I was ordering iced coffee and asked for heavy cream or half and half if didn't have cream...he said he only had half and half because everyone else wants the no fat options and he was really happy to see someone who was a fan of fat in the shop for a change!

Maybe if the tides keep turning he'll see more and have reason to stock up on HWC! :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get coconut oil in my iced coffee at Starbucks, maybe someday.

Sounds like a recipe for something that might look s little like matzoh ball soup with coconut iceberglets swimming around. ??

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Costco - extra virgin olive oil has a nice flavor and a low price.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just recently hubs saw riced cauliflower in a package at the market and nearly fell over. He kept saying: LOOK!! They have what you do! LOOK!

Yes, perhaps the tide is turning...

I want that stuff. Because I'm never going to have cauli rice unless someone else has already fought with it to get it riced. I'd get so cheesed-off I'd grab a bazooka and blow up the kitchen in crankitude at some point.
    Which is also why I've yet to ever make an Oopsie Roll...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I wish I could get coconut oil in my iced coffee at Starbucks, maybe someday.

Sounds like a recipe for something that might look s little like matzoh ball soup with coconut iceberglets swimming around. ??

lol you just gotta blend it really good then pour it over ice, I do it at home but sometimes it'd be nice to grab one on the go. they have heavy cream at least so that keeps me happy
  • jaketwin123
    jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    agree,in also in the UK and have noticed cauli rice etc in supermarkets

it's still a pain to get a coffee with double cream when out though
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I did heavy grocery shopping today (even did the aisles! Lol!) in Target. I noticed that they have moved the sugar free, and low sugar, items to eye level!! I was surprised! I did look to see if they had the cauli rice, but no go in Mobile, Alabama, USA, yet!
  • juliacougarrrr
    juliacougarrrr Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Luckily at Canada's favorite coffee place the standard cream is at least 18% so I am good to go :0) People sometimes say that's why we are all so addicted to it: the 'unhealthy' fat content lol. I used to think that and switch to milk when I tried to cut calories-funny how that didn't work (and tasted ickier too). Now bring me ALL the heavy cream nom nom nom

What does HWC mean?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

Luckily at Canada's favorite coffee place the standard cream is at least 18% so I am good to go :0) People sometimes say that's why we are all so addicted to it: the 'unhealthy' fat content lol. I used to think that and switch to milk when I tried to cut calories-funny how that didn't work (and tasted ickier too). Now bring me ALL the heavy cream nom nom nom

What does HWC mean?

HWC is Heavy Whipping Cream