What happens when you eat more protein than fat?

Options
Treysar
Treysar Posts: 34 Member
This happened twice this week. I'm still getting the hang of this. Am I going to gain weight from this?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight if you are keeping within your calories xx
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How much protein are you talking about? You don't have to reach a "fat goal" as long as your hunger is being satisfied. So there's nothing wrong with eating more protein.
    The only exception really is that if you're insulin resistant or diabetic, eating much more protein than your body needs can be more of an issue. But not typically so much if you don't have those conditions. But even then, you can eat more protein than fat as long as the protein isn't much more than your body can use.
    If you're appetite is under control with the amount of fat you're eating let your body get the rest from your on board storage. :smile:
  • in_faith
    in_faith Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Too much protein turns to glucose.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    in_faith wrote: »

This. The body can't store protein. BUT, the level of protein needs are highly individual AND it can fluctuate a lot for each individual as well. Trial and error.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Treysar wrote: »
    This happened twice this week. I'm still getting the hang of this. Am I going to gain weight from this?

There is only one source for that info so ask your bathroom scales. :)

Remember a pound of protein has less than 50% of the calories as a pound of fat that you may eat.

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    in_faith wrote: »

This. The body can't store protein. BUT, the level of protein needs are highly individual AND it can fluctuate a lot for each individual as well. Trial and error.

These two, if you are going for Keto, too much protein can prevent you from entering or knock you out if you are in ketosis. Your glucose levels could be raised by consuming too much proteins which means your body will slow down or stop ketone production entirely.