How many times do you work out?

Options
Rockchick09
Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
What's your ideal work out and how many times a week do you work out?

I've been pole dancing 3 times a week and now I'm adding weight lifting + cardio to my schedule.
Got a personal instructor and he want's me to do cardio 3 times a week and weight lift 3 times a week in addition to the pole dancing.

I'm wondering if it's to much for the body to handle? Anyone been training hard like that? (or is this not hard training? I've never done any sports until 6 months ago)

Replies

• flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Three days of weightlifting a week for a minimum of 30 minutes. No max time.

I do cardio relatively minimally, and can range anywhere from not doing any at all for weeks on end to daily on days that I don't weight train. I generally use cardio as a means to control calories - if I eat too many I do cardio. If I don't, I don't do cardio.

I should note that I am not trying to loose weight. I'm in maintenance now and just trying to burn fat and build muscle.
  • Rockchick09
    Options
    Cheers :)

I just absolutely loathe cardio and I'm trying to find a way out of it hehe. Pole dancing is the only cardio I've ever liked so I'm hoping that's enough but we'll see.

Thanks for your answer
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I do weight training 3 days a week and 20 minutes of HIIT cardio on the in between days with one rest day. I used to do aerial silks and I was thinking it would be too much to add that on top of the weights. My muscles would not have enough recovery time. I am thinking about taking it up again, but I think I will substitute one of my upper body days since it is such a major upper body workout. I would think pole dancing would be the same.
  • ressapowell
    ressapowell Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week for at least an hour a day. I do stretching, calesthenics, workouts, weight lifting and some cardio like the stair climber. Depends on what muscle group I am working that day. I don't like cardio either byt I love the pump I get from the eaist down after doing 20 minutes on the stair climber.
  • Rockchick09
    Options
    I do weight training 3 days a week and 20 minutes of HIIT cardio on the in between days with one rest day. I used to do aerial silks and I was thinking it would be too much to add that on top of the weights. My muscles would not have enough recovery time. I am thinking about taking it up again, but I think I will substitute one of my upper body days since it is such a major upper body workout. I would think pole dancing would be the same.

The Aerial silks are very similar to the pole so substituting that for the upper body days could also be a great idea for me.

How are you leg wise? I feel like I'm much more muscular on my upper body then the lower. Usually women are stronger in the legs but I squat like a noob yet I can do 10 pull ups on the pole with out trouble.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have super strong lower body compared to my upper. I can squat and DL more than my body weight, but only bench about 65%. The reason I had to quit silks was because I kept injuring myself because my upper body wasn't strong enough. I kept pulling the bottom of my rotator cuff. I think I'm strong enough to go back now, at least to ease back in. I have a yoga hammock at home and did an aerial workout yesterday on it since I couldn't get to the gym and I was surprised at how easily I could do balls and V-ups.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week - 4 lifting days and 2 running days. Lifting that much is a little taxing, but it's effective. I'm starting to tack on shorter runs at the end of my lifting workouts to improve my speed.

Unless you're looking for a bigger calorie expenditure, you don't need to do cardio. Your pole workouts are keeping your heart in shape. The trickier part is figuring out how to lift enough to accomplish the strength gains you want while still fitting pole in. You don't want to compromise your recovery. An upper/lower split lifting program might be better than full body; if you did lower body, upper body, pole, you'd give your lower body (the part you mentioned you need more work on) time to recover and get stronger.

IMO, you need to talk to your trainer again about your goals and what you enjoy. There are a lot of trainers out there who don't listen to their clients at all - they have a handful of routines that they're comfortable with, and they prescribe them to everyone whether it's the best fit or not. Your trainer's plan seems to ignore your workout preferences.
  • leaj1984
    leaj1984 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i work out twice a week with a trainer for an hour. on top of that, i try and do a 30-40 min run once or twice a week. sometimes i'll do a spin class instead of running.

i used to work out more than that, but it felt a little 'forced'. i am tired of forcing myself every time. i find this pace sustainable, whereas 4-6x a week was not sustainable for me in the long run.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do circuit training 3 times per week and HIIT 3 times per week and yoga when I can.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I walk 10-15kms 7 days a week. That's about it! :lol:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I weight lift 4x per week. Sessions are 1.5-2 hours. No cardio. And I don't move very much besides that. About 10k steps per day, sometimes less/sometimes more.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I work out in some way everyday. Usually gym 6 days a week. Right now just cardio to lose the fat. Stair, bike, treadmill on intervals . when I'm bored at home I do planks and mountain climbers to strength my core or 10 min interval video on YouTube . I think that helps keep muscle tone while I'm burning through fat. When I start to build muscle I'll probably start out at 3x a week and allow ample recovery time. Will probably lay off the cardio or do a fun class or something to break it up. I fought the cardio for so long.. But I have to admit it makes the scale the right way!
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    if you like pole dancing, then try other exersize with props? I lack motivation but having some kind of prop helps me. Ive got a collection of fitness balls , hula hoops , frizbees. someone mentioned ariel silks, is this like a yoga sling? trampolines area lot of fun if you have the space. I love swimming myself, but not everyone has access to pool
  • jmm1977
    jmm1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 22 Minute Hard Corps (beachbody program) for the last 5 weeks, 6 days a week. Cardio & Core one day, resistance the next and so on. Cardio & Core days are more like 33 minutes a day, Resistance is 22. Before this, I did 8 weeks of Hammer & Chisel which is a good mix of some cardio and lifting. I have also started running 2-3 days a week, so far only about 1.26 miles each time. I will also be throwing in some Les Mills Combat starting Monday.
  • Working2BBetter
    Working2BBetter Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I work our 6x per week (sometimes skip my off day...) 3 days 75 - 85 min cardio, 3 days 45 min cardio and 40 min full body weights. (alternate upper and lower with minimal rest between...)

I do not feel this is too much... Most days I feel I'm not doing enough!
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday, but it realy depends on my health. I try to do something every days , sometime it is jsut my physical therapy exersizes, other days I can do soem wieghts and cardio. days I have a lot of chorse burn me out and dont leave much energy for anything else.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I pole dance 2-3 times a week, and do cardio & weight lifting 2 times a week (I do 30 minutes of light treadmill or biking prior to weights as a warm up). I just added the cardio/weights combo about 3-4 weeks ago b/c I figured weight training would help me improve at pole quicker. This can change depending on my schedule, but my weekly goal is to workout at least 4 times a week.

I make sure I have 1 rest day a week, sometimes I'll take 2 rest days. Pole and weights are hardcore and my body needs the break. My body has never been as beat up as it is now that I pole and lift. Between DOMS & pole bruises, I live in a constant state of soreness.
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I play roller derby two to three times a week, an average of 2 hours per session- it's amazing cardio and resistance training, plus intervals too. The DOMS and bruises after a competitive game are unreal, much worse than when training with my teamies! I'll usually squeeze in a weekly gym session of up to an hour that includes HIIT on the treadmill and/or crosstrainer (good pace, hills, sprints) and some weights. Occasionally I might throw in a bikram yoga class or a 30 minute YouTube kettlebell workout at home. I used to walk at least 5km daily but that stopped when I took a break from work last year- I'm back to work next week though so the walks will be back!
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. My ideal workout that I shoot for is a 4-5 mile run and half an hour of strength training. I usually end up doing four days of longer runs and a couple days of just strength training as rest days. If I get bored then I'll do a yoga or dance tutorial video or start training for a race.
  • ClareForester
    ClareForester Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 7 days a week because it helps me with my anxiety. As far as strength training stuff I try to keep that 3-4 times a week to prevent burnout.