Taken off Metformin..now diet and exercise

Options
JaneKnoll1
JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
I am doing a happy but a little nervous dance here!
Yesterday was my 3 month check up and during that time my metformin was reduced to 250 in the morning and 250 at night. My A1C was 5.6. When I was on 1000mg daily (Jan-April) it was 5.5.
My doctor is super happy with my exercise, weight, general health and A1C and he wants to try me with only diet and exercise. Of course I was thrilled but just a tad nervous. July is my next checkup. I wonder how much my A1C will rise...I want to keep it in the 5s. My ideal would he 5.5 but not sure how that will go.
For anyone doing it with diet and exercise alone, did you reduce your carbs a bit more or? I am around 40-45 per meal and doing maintenance. I would love to hear thoughts on this. I am seeing how I get on with no changes to my diet for this week....see how my body reacts. Anyway, my year anniversary for diabetes diagnosis is next week. I have done all sorts of lifestyle changes and have lost all my weight. A dose of fear at diagnosis was a huge motivator lol!! Hope you all have a fabulous day and if you have thoughts let me know. My doctor advised me to keep doing what I am doing.

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I am 100% diet-managed for now, although I have been experiencing unacceptable high fasting readings.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I am 100% diet-managed for now, although I have been experiencing unacceptable high fasting readings.
    Excellent!! What sort of numbers fasting? Thanks!!!
  • melissa7662
    melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That's awesome news!
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is indeed awesome.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Thank you Melissa and cdebracy!! Today is my first day in a year that I haven't taken metformin.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    The occasional >149. :ohwell:
    I should have mentioned that I was previously Metformin- and insulin-dependent (separately).
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    That is truly wonderful Jane. No words of advice, but my past supervisor, who had been overweight for a long time, developed diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a host of other illnesses. He joined Weight Watchers, started running every day. Lost a ton of weight and all, and I mean all his problems disappeared. His doctor took him off all his meds, he's looking great, one year later. Oh, and he was on insulin as well as Metformin.
    Great job, you should be so proud of yourself.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Thanks for your support, Judy!! I feel my motivation is as good as ever...I don't remember feeling as good as this for years and years!! It's a feeling I want to keep. I am cheering for you on your journey too and I am sure you will be successful in your quest to get those sugars stable and reducing your other issues! Hugs and thanks!!! Going running as soon as my oatmeal digests lol!!
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    The occasional >149. :ohwell:
    I should have mentioned that I was previously Metformin- and insulin-dependent (separately).
    You have done a fabulous job on getting off them! Those fasting numbers can be a bear!!! Stay the course and keep healthy!! Thanks for your support!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    For anyone doing it with diet and exercise alone, did you reduce your carbs a bit more or? I am around 40-45 per meal and doing maintenance. I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Hi. I'm down from 2000g to 500-1500mg Metformin (depending on my BG readings).

I have found that for only 500mg to suffice, I have to incorporate a couple 16-hour fasts per week and keep:
    • net carbs below 50g per day, and
    • protein below 100g per day (excess above that seems to get converted to glucose in my case)
    I couldn't get away with 40g net carbs per meal ... unless I only ate once a day. Drat.

Obviously, your mileage may (and probably does) vary!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily diet controlled. (I'm on 500 mg Metformin ER. Too low a dose to be doing much of anything - but my doctor put me on it as a stepping stone to what he expected would be 2000 mg, since he never expected I would follow through on dietary control. Little did he know . . . Once I get other health matters in order (breast cancer diagnosis last Monday - I'll consider whether to stay on it - ironically there is new evidence that it helps prevent cancer!)

My blood glucose normalized within 3 days of diagnosis - I can still count on two hands the number of times I've exceeded 140. My A1c went form 7.2 to 5.7 at my first (5-month) follow-up. It was only that high because I have a heaping helping of dawn phenomenon). I limit carbs to 20 grams in a 3 hour period (the amount I found I could tolerate by testing each new food to see my BG response). (I have not added exercise to my routine, but expect to this summer.)

I'm actually in the process of trying to induce remission, based on some exciting research from the UK. My BG has dropped, since the start of this experiment, from a steady average of 107 (for the past 6 months) to 97 for the past 4 weeks (the length of time I've been on the new regime). Simultaneously I've increased the number of carbs I'm eating to up to 33 grams in a 3 hour period. It isn't a MyfitnessPal friendly diet, so I won't go into specifics, but if you're curious you can look at my diary or do a google search for my user name +diabetes + remission. (Not being coy, or trying to sell anything - just trying to stay within the MFP rules.)

I may (or may not) achieve remission - but if I don't, I'm confident that I can completely manage my blood glucose by carefully monitoring my carb intake.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Wow you are inspirational and I have read about metformin maybe preventing cancer too. No doubt you will do amazing with fighting against cancer diagnosis @neohdiver. You kicked diabetes ton the curb and I have no doubt you will do the same. I definitely will google the info. You can have a look at my diary if you are interested..it's open to all. My very best wishes to you for good health and happiness...and when do you start your treatment?
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Wow you are inspirational and I have read about metformin maybe preventing cancer too. No doubt you will do amazing with fighting against cancer diagnosis @neohdiver. You kicked diabetes ton the curb and I have no doubt you will do the same. I definitely will google the info. You can have a look at my diary if you are interested..it's open to all. My very best wishes to you for good health and happiness...and when do you start your treatment?

Thanks!

I'll have surgery the week of May 16 or 23. We're waiting genetic tests that will dictate whether a lumpectomy or a bilateral mastectomy is the best option. (If I don't need a bilateral mastectomy, there is no outcome difference between lumpectomy and mastectomy on the affected side.) After that - radiation for 4-6 weeks (if I have a lumpectomy). Chemo is not likely (but was put back on the very edge of the table based on a tumor-specific genetic test they will likely order once it is removed.

I get to talk to the dietician tomorrow to help sort out when/whether I need to change my diet prior to surgery.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

Thanks!

I'll have surgery the week of May 16 or 23. We're waiting genetic tests that will dictate whether a lumpectomy or a bilateral mastectomy is the best option. (If I don't need a bilateral mastectomy, there is no outcome difference between lumpectomy and mastectomy on the affected side.) After that - radiation for 4-6 weeks (if I have a lumpectomy). Chemo is not likely (but was put back on the very edge of the table based on a tumor-specific genetic test they will likely order once it is removed.

I get to talk to the dietician tomorrow to help sort out when/whether I need to change my diet prior to surgery.
    I love your can do attitude!! That is so important in everything we do!! All my best wishes...you will kick it...I just know it!!!
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    great news
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Thanks Margaret!!! I am seeing a dietician in a couple of weeks and she is going to review my diet and help with maintenance and make a plan based on all my running, swimming etc and calorie needs along with T2D considerations :)
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    For anyone doing it with diet and exercise alone, did you reduce your carbs a bit more or? I am around 40-45 per meal and doing maintenance. I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Hi. I'm down from 2000g to 500-1500mg Metformin (depending on my BG readings).

I have found that for only 500mg to suffice, I have to incorporate a couple 16-hour fasts per week and keep:
    • net carbs below 50g per day, and
    • protein below 100g per day (excess above that seems to get converted to glucose in my case)
    I couldn't get away with 40g net carbs per meal ... unless I only ate once a day. Drat.

Obviously, your mileage may (and probably does) vary!
    Congratulations on doing such a great job!!! I never used to be able to tolerate that many carbs and I don't know if it's the weight loss (now 74 lbs) or the exercise or just what but I am fairly strict with what I eat and not too much junk ask lots of Healthy fats.
    I keep keep my protein lower than 100 too...fats lol don't ask haha!
    Anyway, my best wishes for your continued healthy journey. We can do this!!!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @JaneKnoll1

Sounds like you've found the magic wand!

Be careful to take dieticians' advice in context - from what I've heard from others, they may be constrained to follow USDA recommendations (which are too high in carbs for my pancreas!).

On the other hand, i did once have access to a dietician who was quite happy to start from the premise that a low-carb diet is necessary in many cases. (Unfortunately for me, but great for her, she left for NP school!)
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @JaneKnoll1

Sounds like you've found the magic wand!

Be careful to take dieticians' advice in context - from what I've heard from others, they may be constrained to follow USDA recommendations (which are too high in carbs for my pancreas!).

On the other hand, i did once have access to a dietician who was quite happy to start from the premise that a low-carb diet is necessary in many cases. (Unfortunately for me, but great for her, she left for NP school!)
    Thanks Ralf! Now I eat every 3 hours and averaging 40 carbs per meal/snack. I am shocked that I can eat that amount and by the 3 hour mark (when I have to eat again) it's returned to 4.4-5.3 (79.4-95.6) it's a bit higher after dinner but I eat the snack and my average fasting for this week is 4.9 so that makes me happy. I think the trick must be to keep carbs very consistent through the day at each snack and meal. I never/barely snacked before this....I was too afraid my sugar would be driven up and not have time to return to normal. At the two hour post meal mark sometimes it's mid to high 6 but rapidly falls after that..not sure that is optimal but that's what is happening. Telling tale is going to be my next doctors visit in end of July for A1C and checkup. Crossing my fingers that my post meal values are not going to drive it up. I hope hope I can manage without metformin but I will do whatever to keep healthy. My main goal.

• neohdiver
    Options
    Update (just trying to contain my sprawl to one thread!)

I have now stopped the Blood Sugar Diet at 6 weeks, rather than 8, so that I can give my body what it needs to fight cancer and recover from surgery.

I was diagnosed with diabetes on Oct 2 with an A1C of 7.2 (firmly in the diabetic range - the cutoff for diabetes is 6.5).

As part of stopping the diet, I did a home OGTT. Normal BG, at 2 hours, is as high as 139; prediabetes as high as 199, and diabetes is anything over 200. At 2 hours, my BG was 161. So it is not just my imagination that over the past 6 weeks I have managed to partially reverse my diabetes. :D

So - once I get this pesky breast cancer taken care of - I'll do a second (full) 8 weeks to see if I can push it completely into remission.

Moving from intense dietary management toward remission feels good!