Hi everyone

socalgardengal
socalgardengal Posts: 116 Member
I just joined to get some advice from you all. I have a MFP pal that had surgery in Dec. and she's feeling all alone and really struggling with keeping food down. I told her to join this group so she would have a few more people that know and truly understand what she is going through. I have no solid advice for her. She lives in the Midwest all by herself with no friends or family to help support her. Her mom came to help after surgery but she had to get back to her life. She works 3rd shift at a detention facility so not much "normal" time to do much. It would be great if someone could just PM her or even send friend requests so she has some support please. I did tell her I was doing this but about 2 weeks ago :) I thank you all very much. Her name is vanillarose77 Real name Jen :) TyTy

Replies

• Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    edited April 2016
    This is a welcoming group. Have her join and say "HI" If she just wants to read old posts she will find a wealth of info that will help in just about any situation.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    I sent her a message. I hope she joins!
  • socalgardengal
    Thank you both. I have told her about joining this group but I can't force her. Gosh I just feel so bad for her. I'll keep bugging her I guess just don't want to push too hard. Thanks.
  • vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    hey guys this is jennifer socalgardengal's friend...sorry working 3rd shift and i dont get much sleep the most i do on this site is log my food..please feel free to add me. like socal said i am at times having trouble keeping things down...one day i can eat it the next i cant...it's still a learning process for me
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    @vanillarose77 Welcome! Even if you can't participate much, this board is a wealth of knowledge! So much great information! I've only been a member a short time, and often go back and check the old threads out!

With the eating. I know you've heard it, but smaller bites, chew more, and swallow less at one time. For me, the swallowing was getting me. I'd take small bites, but while I was still chewing, I'd shovel in more and swallow bigger bits. Even though they were fully chewed, the bigger swallows have heft. My tummy did not approve.

I do still have days where what I ate yesterday is no good today. They are further apart now...hope it improves for you soon!

Nicole
  • socalgardengal
    YAY!!! So glad you showed up :)
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Welcome! I was sleeved on Nov. 23rd and I still have some bad days with food. When I feel a bad day I stick to protein shakes, plain canned chicken breast or a protein bar. These are things I seem to have an easy time with you may have your own easy on your tummy foods. I have to sip or eat super slow. Remember to wait at least a half an hour or more to drink after eating. I have made that mistake on more than one occasion not thinking about it until it was to late. Some people become lactose intolerant after surgery. I have heard of severe to mild lactose intolerance. I know I have a hard time with yogurt since my surgery but I have no problem with cheese, weird. It can be frustrating and I am sure in time it will get better.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    @vanillarose77, so glad you're here! Welcome to the group. There is so much great information that is constantly shared between members here. I hope you find it helpful.

I had a lot of problems eating right after surgery, too. Like @Tawnykakers1 says, chew thoroughly and slowly. You honestly just cannot chew enough when you're first starting. I would literally grind that stuff to mush before taking a small swallow.

Even over a year out now, drinking too soon after eating is a huge way for me to have it come back up. Your body will tell you you're full - just make sure you're consuming slowly enough to listen to it.

Did you have sleeve, RNY or lapband? It could be that people with your particular surgery type can offer some more specific advice. (I was sleeved 2/17/15.)
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    @vanillarose77 As one who works at a hospital, I can totally understand shift working. That is okay, sometimes we have to just flip things up a bit to make it work for us.
  • vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    @vanillarose77, so glad you're here! Welcome to the group. There is so much great information that is constantly shared between members here. I hope you find it helpful.

I had a lot of problems eating right after surgery, too. Like @Tawnykakers1 says, chew thoroughly and slowly. You honestly just cannot chew enough when you're first starting. I would literally grind that stuff to mush before taking a small swallow.

Even over a year out now, drinking too soon after eating is a huge way for me to have it come back up. Your body will tell you you're full - just make sure you're consuming slowly enough to listen to it.

Did you have sleeve, RNY or lapband? It could be that people with your particular surgery type can offer some more specific advice. (I was sleeved 2/17/15.)

I had rny and ya im still learning to listen to my body cuz sometimes i dont feel the "full feeling" so i have to hear my tummy gurggeling