How do I reward myself?

Lillith32
Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
So I reached my first weight goal. I'd like to thank you guys - you are a huge part of my support group! I want to reward myself, without food. I was thinking new clothing (I need them anyway), a spa day, or maybe a fun weekend activity like a stand-up paddle boarding class. What should I do?

Replies

• annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    oh, they all sound great. I've been wanting to try the stand-up paddle boarding. I just rewarded myself with new work clothes which I needed desperately. Mine were really sagging and baggy. Congrats on reaching your first goal!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    All of these are great rewards. Personally, I have found new clothes to be the best for me because it's fun to buy and wear smaller sized clothing and seeing my progress in clothes that actually fit motivates me to keep going!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    I rewarded myself with my first ever pedicure.

I wanted to be thank my feet that have done so much for me :mrgreen: Clothes and spa days are great too!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I really like rewarding myself with something that is fitness-related - either new workout clothes or a new class. Stand-Up Paddle Boarding would be a good way to go!
  • juliacougarrrr
    juliacougarrrr Posts: 48 Member
    Those are all great rewards! New booties or shoes might be one for me too. My ultimate reward for getting to my long term goal is a Vitamix blender, but that's a bit pricy :p
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    I vote clothes! :) Congrats btw!
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Congratulations! That's a good problem to have. New clothes or a new kitchen gadget for cooking were always my go-to rewards.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Congrats!! Go for the clothes! You will get lots of compliments as ppl will now be better able to see your progress. It will add extra motivation to get to your next milestone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I had a friend who rewarded herself with spa day after she finished each chapter of her dissertation. That sounds GREAT!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Whatever you want! whooo!

I love clothes (work out clothes are always appropriate, but not "work" clothes), cosmetics, a fancy new bra.

I love spending the day with myself. I take a day off work, ship kiddo off to grandma, and do whatever (sorry husband, not invited!). Granted, eating at restaurants is involved, it doesn't have to break the keto. These aren't necessarily weight rewards, I just like to love myself at least 1/quarter,
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Congrats! Write down your top 3 choices and draw the winner
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    I bought some new clothes to celebrate making it into Onederland. The spa stuff sounds great too! Maybe I should set more milestones for myself, lol.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Congrats on reaching your goal! All those sound like good rewards.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Isn't it so much more fun rewarding yourself with non food items!!?? I've been using luxury skincare products as my reward. I've always used drugstore stuff on a daily basis, but there's just something nice about using the fancy schmancy stuff :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I bought some new clothes to celebrate making it into Onederland. The spa stuff sounds great too! Maybe I should set more milestones for myself, lol.

I think setting and achieving milestones is highly motivating. Even if your reward is just to have the pride of achieving it. So many of us have or had low confidence and self esteem at least to some level, associated with our extra weight and/or declining health. I believe reaching even tiny little milestones are like making deposits into a bank of confidence that pays a very nice annual percentage rate! :smile:
    And I believe that confidence makes us more likely to stay on track and focused on doing what's best for us.
    So make lots of deposits!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Personally, new clothes are not much of a motivator. I buy new clothes when I need to, and don't care about style as much as fit and function. For small victories, food is my top reward. When I've been denying myself quantities of food (my appetite is insatiable) or types of food for so long, it is really nice to binge. However, I know it sets my weight loss back when I do that. Some will say that a single day won't destroy losses, but I bet they have never eaten 25K calories in a day.

At some point, for a big reward (I need to determine a body fat goal for this), I would like to give myself a climbing gym pass and some training sessions. There is a new climbing gym that opened a year ago that is only about 90 min. away. I'm too busy now to make it more than once every week or two. I work FT and I'm a FT grad student, plus I'm politically active and it's an election year. But after Nov. (I should finish my last course in Oct., elections in Nov.), I should have time to go to a nearby non-climbing gym 2-4 times weekly for supplemental strength training. So if I start climbing and see a trainer weekly, lift on my own other days, then I could make progress with a new activity.

Other big rewards (at some point) that coincide with new or increased activity (similar to the stand-up paddle board idea): Learning to swim, new car (that is longer than my current car, and that would have racks for the next things), kayak, and bicycles.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I get myself some new clothes as needed so I don't generally use that as a reward. I hate clothes shopping so much that it's more of a punishment. I love having better fitting things, though, so I suck it up as needed :)

My tops would be maybe a mani/pedi, massage, or some kind of new gadget (kitchen, fitness, etc. - whatever I have my eye on currently). And although I don't make a habit of it, I'll sometimes have a special meal/dessert if I feel like it. I'm a giant foodie, so something special (Chilean Sea Bass is pricey, so it's a nice treat to me - or maybe a stop at the fro-yo place).

Congrats on your goal, that's great - nothing is a better motivator than hitting a goal!!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Whatever you want! whooo!

I love spending the day with myself. I take a day off work, ship kiddo off to grandma, and do whatever (sorry husband, not invited!). Granted, eating at restaurants is involved, it doesn't have to break the keto. These aren't necessarily weight rewards, I just like to love myself at least 1/quarter,

I don't have any kids but I do have a husband. Just once in 20 years have I taken off on my own and you'd have thought I'd abandoned him to be devoured by the bears. There's a charming small town some 60 miles from here with lots of walking paths, boutique shops, bed and breakfast inns and day spas. I have to start making minimum withdrawals from my IRA soon and I'm thinking about splurging on a me-only trip with some of the first month's proceeds. Note to Self: Better start dropping gentle hints right now.