fed up,weight gain,how ??????????

Options
jaketwin123
jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
hi,ok been doing LCHF for approx 8 weeks and have had some good weight loss (9kg)

been sticking to it pretty well and the last week was very active in the garden moving 500kg of shingle from front garden to back about 100ft and laying it etc,so 2 days worth approx 7 hrs total,i was aching like mad for 2 days after and still a little

have kept to under 30 carbs a day and under 1400 cals a day for a good 2-3weeks and have put on 3lb in weight,

how how how,im not due my period that i could understand,ive kept to the rules and been more active then ever this week and im putting on

im doing this for weight loss and feel so discouraged

female 5ft6 now 101kg

tank you

Replies

• jaketwin123
    Options
    thanks,yes the weight loss is really good and so so pleased with it and admit im a little paranoid about any gain

just feels wrong that ive stuck to it and had huge exercise this week (well for me)lol and ive gained

ive still 20-24kgs to lose so a long way to go still
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, huge exercise tears apart your muscles and fluids then rush to repair those tiny tears, that's why your sore, and the scale is up because you body is holding that extra fluid and inflammation as it heals. its a good thing!
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    ok,staring to understand the science behind it,i think

will the fluid go then ??
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    yes it will, it can take a few days, but it'll come back the next time you exercise too. just know that if you are eating in line with what your goals are and the only difference is a ton of exercise, its just water, not fat, and no need to stress about it. I recently started jogging and eating at maintenance, my scale is up 5 lbs from my goal weight. I know I have not gained 5 lbs of fat so no need to worry, while I don't like seeing a higher number I know its not a big deal
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    thanks,the strange thing is a vest top i used to wear kept riding up,the last week it stays put an seems to fit better
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    thanks,the strange thing is a vest top i used to wear kept riding up,the last week it stays put an seems to fit better

You may see a WOOSH in a few days where the scale goes down, below where you were. Good luck!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    have you been doing measurements and before photos? I'd highly recommend that, the scale is a finicky thing and can be completely discouraging if you don't have another way to measure your progress.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    oh i loveeeeeeee a woosh,nothing like one of them to kick start you again
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    thanks,yes the weight loss is really good and so so pleased with it and admit im a little paranoid about any gain

just feels wrong that ive stuck to it and had huge exercise this week (well for me)lol and ive gained

ive still 20-24kgs to lose so a long way to go still

Weight loss is not linear. There will always be ups and downs. Just keep going.
  • PoodleDoodleMel
    PoodleDoodleMel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You may weigh the same, but look tighter.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You may weigh the same, but look tighter.

This is a very good point! I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure it is only temporary, especially if you have been keeping on plan!

• auntstephie321
    Options
    muscle is more dense than fat so it takes up less space. its unlikely that you have built up enough muscle to be showing a change on the scale at this point. muscle building takes a lot of work and does not happen when eating at a deficit.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Honey hush! Sorry, I'm feeling sassy tonight! Lol
    Ok, for real now...
    Don't worry about it. You've had fantastic success! You know you're doing the right things because it's been going amazingly well right? Could it possibly make any sense that you've gained fat? Of course not! You've gained water (inflammation) or its your gut contents. It's most certainly not fat!
    You can get smaller while gaining weight or maintaining the same weight. Don't worry about the number on the scale in the short term. Hell, even more long term is a big fat liar!
    In 5 months I only lost 4 pounds. But it looked like this.
    ao8du247i55q.jpeg

You're doing great! Learning to understand that scale weight doesn't mean as much as we think is the hardest part.
  • eileenhernandez456
    eileenhernandez456 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would cut back 5-10 carbs... your body may just be very sensitive to them and stay the course... you are doing great!! And keep drinking lots and lots of water!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm up four pounds, but I know it's inflammation in my hurting upper back! But, I've dropped another size, to size 10! Bodies are weird! Roll with it! You haven't done anything wrong! Those exercised muscles are holding water to help with repairing the tears! KCKO (keep calm and keto on, for those who don't know!)!! :smiley:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Also, OP, consider doing measurements or photos along the way. They do help.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, consider doing measurements or photos along the way. They do help.

YES! Do this. There WILL be periods where it seems like, scale-wise, your body is doing nothing. However, its actually healing and rearranging, filling fat cells up with water while it sorts out whether or not it can live with the changes that have happened, and sometimes you can see progress during these pauses, in measurements and pics. Everybody has this happen.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    thanks all,just catching up with repies