What are hummus

Options
melissa7662
melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
Okay I hear a lot on here about hummus.

What is it? Where do you get it? Is it good for diabetic? What does it taste like? What should you look for when buying it?

Replies

• titinil
    titinil Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hummus is made from mashed chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), oil (usually olive), garlic and lemon juice.
    You can buy it in most supermarkets or make your own using a food processor.
    The brand I usually buy is Sabra. They have some other varieties too, like roasted red pepper or pine nuts.
    I use it as a dip with veggies or as a spread on sandwiches instead of mayo.
  • melissa7662
    melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love hummus.
    Harris Teeter has their own variety which is even better than Sabra; they have several types including a garlic hummus (MY FAVE) and one made from ednamame.

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Another way to love hummus is as the base for a soup or a sauce. It provides a lot of creamy protein without cholesterol. If I have one that is close to expired I stick it in the freezer and then I can use it in a soup later on.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    liznotyet wrote: »
    Another way to love hummus is as the base for a soup or a sauce. It provides a lot of creamy protein without cholesterol. If I have one that is close to expired I stick it in the freezer and then I can use it in a soup later on.
    Thanks for the great idea to use hummus in soup!! I make soup frequently