Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting back on track after an off day

Hi all, I've been following a ketogenic diet for three weeks, losing 18lbs which I'm really pleased with. Yesterday we went to a wedding and it was impossible to stick to the plan, and I was planning to get straight back to it today. I'm really struggling, all I want is a Chinese takeaway! The first three weeks were the easiest WOE I've ever followed so I'm not enjoying this feeling. Does anyone have any tips/coping strategies for 'the morning after'? It's not always possible to avoid carbs and I need to learn how to deal with the aftermath of those days. Thank you in advance for any tips or ideas

Replies

• Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Hey, I don't have any tips, but I am with you on feeling pretty awful after carb binge last night! I binged pretty hard on chips, hamburger buns, and cake. It was my husband's birthday so that was the excuse (I think I'll have to give up on excuses soon). I gained 6 lb overnight and feel hungover even though I didn't drink. I'd appreciate any tips as well because I'd really like to get back to feeling great with low carb.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    When I'm having really bad carb cravings, I tend to overeat LCHF foods as there's a lot less damage to my diet that way and it doesn't spur new cravings and it helps me get past my current cravings. I'll fry up a couple prices of bacon, have a few slices of some really good cheese, or whip up some deviled eggs, which are all my go-to favourite LCHF foods.

I'm often craving Chinese food and just make a stir fry without rice or any of the sugary sauces. I'll often cook the meat in goose fat to make it really crispy to get me a little closer to that deep fried, battered experience I love
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    I would really up my fats in order to stay full so carb temptations will lessen!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I agree with the other posters about upping your fats and consuming LCHF foods. It is what helps me when it comes to the 'morning after'.

Have a bulletproof coffee (if you like it), drink lots of water and keep an eye on your electrolytes. Your consumption of carbs has thrown your system off balance, so it would be smart in working to get it back on track.

Mentally, don't beat yourself up. It happened. You can't change the past but you can always better prepare yourself for the future! Keep going!
  • justawesome21
    justawesome21 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks everyone :) I think the suggestion of just not monitoring calories for today is a good idea and will help me get more focused - it's a marathon not a sprint after all. It's thrown me off I think as I was doing IF and now my body would quite like some food earlier, please! Coffee and lots of water until I make dinner I think
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    I tend to try and recreate the item I want to eat the closest way I can in the low carb way... so for Chinese, I would make the meat/sauce etc and use cauliflower rice with it.. (I wouldn't have a clue how to make sweet and sour balls though!) lol
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I do this frequently, what I've found is helpful the next day, is fat. I start with bpc and eat as much fat as I want throughout the day, it fills me up so even if I crave carbs I'm you full to eat. By day 2 I usually feel all better.

If you keep feeding the carb monster it'll never go away. Think of it like a stray cat.
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    I do this frequently, what I've found is helpful the next day, is fat. I start with bpc and eat as much fat as I want throughout the day, it fills me up so even if I crave carbs I'm you full to eat. By day 2 I usually feel all better.

If you keep feeding the carb monster it'll never go away. Think of it like a stray cat.

I like stray cats!! :) I feed them all... lol
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member

Me too lol, that's how I know they never go away and tend to move in if you start feeding them.
  • BelleCakes2018

Me too lol, that's how I know they never go away and tend to move in if you start feeding them.

I think you're right also about the fat thing... I notice feeling so much more satisfied by eating more fat, and it makes everything so tasty you do not feel as if you are missing out at all.