Learning from Total Immersion AND Swim Smooth Schools of Swimming

Options
2»

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    In the meantime, does anyone have any tips on helping an old dog learn bilateral breathing?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    In the meantime, does anyone have any tips on helping an old dog learn bilateral breathing?

@Robertus What I did was to use a pool buoy so I did not have to kick and would swim a Clockwise loop in the lane - keeping the lane rope close to my weak side. Concentrating on just looking past the lane rope and doing all the breathing on my weak side. This way I had the lane rope as a guide for body roll and that last little bit of head turn to clear the mouth out of the water. Not sure if that description makes any sense.

This also helped me when comparing weak to strong side breathing - arm position in the pull - I find that I am usually late rolling on my weak side which makes for a shorter breathing window - thus giving me that hurried feeling. On my strong side I start to roll when I am about 1/3 through the pull. On my weak side it is closer to 1/2 making for a hurried roll and breathing cycle.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Robertus wrote: »

@Robertus What I did was to use a pool buoy so I did not have to kick and would swim a Clockwise loop in the lane - keeping the lane rope close to my weak side. Concentrating on just looking past the lane rope and doing all the breathing on my weak side. This way I had the lane rope as a guide for body roll and that last little bit of head turn to clear the mouth out of the water. Not sure if that description makes any sense.

This also helped me when comparing weak to strong side breathing - arm position in the pull - I find that I am usually late rolling on my weak side which makes for a shorter breathing window - thus giving me that hurried feeling. On my strong side I start to roll when I am about 1/3 through the pull. On my weak side it is closer to 1/2 making for a hurried roll and breathing cycle.
    Thanks, Juliet! I also saw this tip in the daily thread:
    SwimmyD wrote: »

I personally prefer to work my freestyle kick by using no board and leading straight out with one arm. After about 4 to 6 seconds of kicking I switch arms to breathe. Can you bilaterally breathe? If not this drill will also help with that. It's harder than pure board kicking because less air, however will develop your kicking to be more efficient for the actual freestyle stroke. Also try kicking on your back with no board to work your abs and hip extensor strength. Backstroke kicking and freestyle kicking are complimentary to each other.

The main thing is to focus on (for freestyle and back stroke kick) is that it is originating from your hips, not your knees. When you're on your back your knees should not really be breaking water so much as your feet do. You don't want to "bicycle" the water either. Have fun!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am practising my bilateral a little (it was good once ....) and 3 tips from my coaching - don't do the breath last minute, rotate consciously early in the stroke. widen your kick as you rotate (both senses ie more back/forward movement and legs further apart) and narrow it all back down again when you are face down again. And keep the non pull arm relaxed, not stiffly out in front.

And get used to drinking water....oh, nope the coach didn't say that bit, that is just me.....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I started with a kickboard, because when I got to my weak side, I literally didn't roll. It didn't take long though, before I was feeling it. Then I graduated to a pull bouy, which was a huge help! I thought I discovered that secret, lol. I know that my breathing is OK on both sides now, but my body position gets thrown off when I breathe on my weak side--my butt/legs drop, and my left leg forgets to kick. Literally. I think I'm a lopsided swimmer.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get my cruising pace at around 60 SPM (trying to become a marathon swimmer, and that's about standard). The best I've done recently is more like 56.

Takes me about 3:40, sometimes less, to do 10km, Olympic marathon swim distance, in pool. Plus an extra lap for the Monk in me. 220 kappa in a 25 yard pool. Never done it in open water.