Free day OR Easy sweets within low carb/keto

Options

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @Buildingit3157 There are a lot of recipes online for mug cakes - they are relatively easy to make, don't usually require a lot of ingredients and then you can limit it to the single serving.

Some make two servings so you can share with your son. You don't have to tell him it's LC, maybe he won't even taste the difference.

I made a mug cake from ruled.me and shared with my non-LC boyfriend. He enjoyed it - said it didn't taste LC at all. Here's the link. http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/
    Disclaimer: I used almond meal instead of the almond flour (it is finer) that he suggested and it turned out well.

I don't bake either but that one was pretty easy!
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @Buildingit3157 There are a lot of recipes online for mug cakes - they are relatively easy to make, don't usually require a lot of ingredients and then you can limit it to the single serving.

Some make two servings so you can share with your son. You don't have to tell him it's LC, maybe he won't even taste the difference.

I made a mug cake from ruled.me and shared with my non-LC boyfriend. He enjoyed it - said it didn't taste LC at all. Here's the link. http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/
    Disclaimer: I used almond meal instead of the almond flour (it is finer) that he suggested and it turned out well.

I don't bake either but that one was pretty easy!

Ooooh, if you say this is good in going to try it... Just a go-to one in awhile thing. I must be prepared! :) Thanks
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    I'll have some fresh strawberries and raspberries with some Cool Whip. Trying to avoid fruit as much as I can.

I was thinking this too... I will def choose fruit and whipped cream. Maybe even freeze some for summer. Very naturally sweet that way.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'll have some fresh strawberries and raspberries with some Cool Whip. Trying to avoid fruit as much as I can.

I was thinking this too... I will def choose fruit and whipped cream. Maybe even freeze some for summer. Very naturally sweet that way.

One of my fave things to eat but I am staying away from fruit for the timebeing. It's lovely it's so simple and tasty though. I find unsweetened cream really brings out the natural sweetness in the fruits.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options

One of my fave things to eat but I am staying away from fruit for the timebeing. It's lovely it's so simple and tasty though. I find unsweetened cream really brings out the natural sweetness in the fruits.

I agree! Nature's candy
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    For the most part I stick with keto sweets or I'll go for a favorite LCHF treat that's spicy, salty, savory or otherwise flavorful. Going that route seems to help me redirect the sweets cravings.
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just got into super dark (85% and up) chocolate with all natural peanut butter on top. It's amazing and it kills my sweat tooth
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas! I will have to experiment. I'm trying to set myself up for the best possible indulgence. I have a son in the house and I make him treats plus even on low carb I crave one once in awhile. I guess I need to look into which sweets satiate yet keep me on track. I would like to maintain this lifestyle not derail because It's too restrictive. Part of life is being satisfied too :) any more ideas for easy summer treats or fat bomb recipes I am all ears!

I highlight the comment above, @Buildingit3157, that you made about making treats for your son. Personally, the further I get into this lifestyle change, finding out how damaging fructose, gluten, and all the sweet things are to our overall health even decades before we start to have issues, PLUS knowing that he carries half your genetics, I would work on training his sweet tooth to a lower threshold now. Depending on his age, he can help you with healthier choices and all manner of good stuff. As he gets older, you can share your love of nutrition and cooking with him, and create a bond that will last a lifetime, as well as set him up for success down the road. He can likely tolerate a higher carb threshold that most of us with damaged metabolisms, but getting non-starchy carbs - and limited starchy ones - while minimizing the long term damage of gluten and other grains - you could be starting the strength of the next generation.

There are tons of fun treats you can share - strawberry "shakes" made with almond milk and a splash of cream are a favorite - or just berries with whipped cream (cream can be either heavy/dairy or coconut, easily)... Cream cheese dip made for stone fruits, etc. Even the occasional low carb cheesecake or grain-free cake... Lots of fun every day things!

No judgment passed, I promised! Just a few ideas from someone who wishes she'd done a few things differently earlier on. :)
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options

This is my standby chocolate cake on Keto!! If I'm having a low number day... this is what I make!! So good with a big dollop of cool whip!!

As for regular sweets, they are almost too much for me. I had a bite of a chocolate tart at easter and I couldn't do it. At work they will bring in sweets and I might have a tiny bite but that seems to be more than enough.

However, for the first month I couldn't touch anything sweet or it would set off my cravings. Now, 4 months in and it's better. I do lean heavily though on sugar free jello and whipped cream and just love it!! I also have the random sugar free treats at work and at home like twizzlers and jelly beans and a couple Atkins candy bars when I'm having a sweet tooth (usually about 2 or 3 days a month ;) ).

Best of luck and it takes some work, but I found once I found some stuff I really enjoyed, sugar free wise, I was set!!
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm only a couple months in, but I've found it helpful every couple weeks to have about half a cup of dried cranberries mixed with half a cup of sunflower seeds. Sweet, tart, chewy, crunchy, salty, tons of fiber. It hits a whole lot of buttons. It's also a whole lot of calories though. Just did this on Sunday, Monday was standard food, and today I was down 1.5 pounds since Friday's weigh in (camping this weekend). Maybe something like that would knock our your sweet tooth?
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    ryanb1385 wrote: »
    I just got into super dark (85% and up) chocolate with all natural peanut butter on top. It's amazing and it kills my sweat tooth

Trying it! I always bought 70% or higher before low carb so I'm sure I can swing this. Love the Pb and choc combo especially! Thanks!
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    I'm only a couple months in, but I've found it helpful every couple weeks to have about half a cup of dried cranberries mixed with half a cup of sunflower seeds. Sweet, tart, chewy, crunchy, salty, tons of fiber. It hits a whole lot of buttons. It's also a whole lot of calories though. Just did this on Sunday, Monday was standard food, and today I was down 1.5 pounds since Friday's weigh in (camping this weekend). Maybe something like that would knock our your sweet tooth?

Thanks for the idea! I love natural sweet too!
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »

This is my standby chocolate cake on Keto!! If I'm having a low number day... this is what I make!! So good with a big dollop of cool whip!!

As for regular sweets, they are almost too much for me. I had a bite of a chocolate tart at easter and I couldn't do it. At work they will bring in sweets and I might have a tiny bite but that seems to be more than enough.

However, for the first month I couldn't touch anything sweet or it would set off my cravings. Now, 4 months in and it's better. I do lean heavily though on sugar free jello and whipped cream and just love it!! I also have the random sugar free treats at work and at home like twizzlers and jelly beans and a couple Atkins candy bars when I'm having a sweet tooth (usually about 2 or 3 days a month ;) ).

Best of luck and it takes some work, but I found once I found some stuff I really enjoyed, sugar free wise, I was set!!

Thanks for the ideas. Does the sugar free jello have no carb? How do they sweeten it? I know that I don't like the way aspartame tastes. But sounds like a great option otherwise!
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Thanks for all your ideas! I will have to experiment. I'm trying to set myself up for the best possible indulgence. I have a son in the house and I make him treats plus even on low carb I crave one once in awhile. I guess I need to look into which sweets satiate yet keep me on track. I would like to maintain this lifestyle not derail because It's too restrictive. Part of life is being satisfied too :) any more ideas for easy summer treats or fat bomb recipes I am all ears!

I highlight the comment above, @Buildingit3157, that you made about making treats for your son. Personally, the further I get into this lifestyle change, finding out how damaging fructose, gluten, and all the sweet things are to our overall health even decades before we start to have issues, PLUS knowing that he carries half your genetics, I would work on training his sweet tooth to a lower threshold now. Depending on his age, he can help you with healthier choices and all manner of good stuff. As he gets older, you can share your love of nutrition and cooking with him, and create a bond that will last a lifetime, as well as set him up for success down the road. He can likely tolerate a higher carb threshold that most of us with damaged metabolisms, but getting non-starchy carbs - and limited starchy ones - while minimizing the long term damage of gluten and other grains - you could be starting the strength of the next generation.

There are tons of fun treats you can share - strawberry "shakes" made with almond milk and a splash of cream are a favorite - or just berries with whipped cream (cream can be either heavy/dairy or coconut, easily)... Cream cheese dip made for stone fruits, etc. Even the occasional low carb cheesecake or grain-free cake... Lots of fun every day things!

No judgment passed, I promised! Just a few ideas from someone who wishes she'd done a few things differently earlier on. :)

Thanks for the ideas! I was always a health food nut even before low carb. I'm a label looker etc. My son is 13 and since I've always stressed moderation when I say I make him sweets I'm talking two times a month I'll make brownies or muffins etc. Dark chocolate 70% or higher was always in the house as an option etc. I've been in Healthcare for 15 years so im naturally looking out for our best interest but I'm thinking of going low carb for him too.. Not extremely but I can cut corners! :) personally age and hormones and Carbs! Have messed up my metabolism. I'm trying to get my baseline health and figure back :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »

Thanks for the ideas. Does the sugar free jello have no carb? How do they sweeten it? I know that I don't like the way aspartame tastes. But sounds like a great option otherwise!

You can also make your own sugar-free jello - unflavored gelatin, sugarless extract, sweetener of choice (or pureed fruit), and water.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I just made a sweet treat by adding protein powder and powdered erythritol (which has 0 calories) to peanut butter and freezing it in little bombs. It's delicious. It would be even better if I had some melted 90% dark chocolate to dip my little bombs in.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    My thing is CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE. I have a TON of fat bomb recipes pinned on Pinterest, most of them have some sort of chocolate component using at least 70% dark chocolate sweetened with Stevia or other natural sweetener. I just finished a set of 6 keto chocolate popsicles and have made for the second time keto chocolate chip cheesecake bars. The bottom of the bar is low carb cookie dough and the top is sprinkled with crumbles of the cookie dough. Super satisfying and days that I do IF and skip breakfast I can have like 2-3 of them and still be under 30g of carbs for the day. The recipe makes 20 which is nice to not have to make them every few days as they last for a few weeks in the freezer.
  • kirstie1978
    kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd posted my helpful recipe but appears not! Last time I did low cab I used jelly a lot for a sweet fix (sugar free of course!) but another thing I used to do was make it into gummy sweets so I would have small amounts. I mixed the packet with half the required amount of water and depending how hard you want them add 1-2 extra packets of gelatine.... Our onto a plate or dish and set in fridge... Then cut up and put into a tub! Simples! Hopefully will help!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    One simple treat I make is to add HWC to diet crush soda and freeze it. Tastes a lot like an orange creamsicle.

It's all going to depend on an honest assessment of yourself. Can you sustain long periods without sweets? Will a "cheat" lead you to feeling bad and giving up on yourself? Do you envision LCHF as life change, meaning that your end goal is to mostly eliminate those foods anyway? I think you have to start by being honest with yourself. If you have a problem being honest with yourself, maybe you should ask these types of question about you to someone close to you.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wine is my sweet. I'm still drinking it and it's not slowing down my journey at all. :wink: