Options
13»

Replies

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »
    yes but cabbage has basically no calories so don't worry about that.

89g of cabbage has 22.2 calories, 18.7 of them come from carbohydrate. 11.2 of those are from sugar.
    So I guess it only matters on an individual basis and how sensitive to sugar you are. I personally think the source of the calories matters more than just calories as a generic measure.
    I'm not suggesting that there isn't a place for cabbage in a low carb or even a Keto diet, but it comes down to volume and personal sensitivity much much more than how many calories it has.

that is some super sugary cabbage - I don't know where you got that data from, but the USDA says 75g of cabbage has 3g net carbs and 2g sugar @ 20kcal. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/HHFS_CABBAGE_FRESH900180Oct2012.pdf

The point being that weighing vs. cups measurement for cabbage is a waste of time, we are talking about 3-5 calorie difference maybe.

That's the same resource I referenced but I mentioned 89g instead of your 75g. The 89g has 2.8g (11.2 calories) sugar, your 75g has 2g (8 calories) of sugar. So if you think the cabbage I referenced was super sugary, your reference is too. And I don't count net carbs.

Sorry I read it as you saying it had 11.2g of sugar :) So yeah, I still maintain that 5 calories up or down is not going to make any difference to anyone. I don't log anything under 20 cals.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    SassyRN_77 wrote: »
    ^^^ this is awesome!!!
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Book of Keto 7:1 says:

Scales can be fickle friends - never date twice in the same week.

Ha. Thanks. I forgot to add - wash after dates!
  • RalfLott
    Options

kpk54 wrote: »
    Rose_Oh wrote: »
    Years of eating low fat diet and counting calories resulted in maintaining an unhealthy weight and borderline diabetes diagnosis. So, going LCHF is a struggle in mind and cooking retraining! Added to the struggle is husband insisting on sticking with lowfat diet and eating schedule on a time clock. Trying to mix and adjust both cooking techniques and times are not working! For the first 2 weeks I did lose a little but this week I gained a couple of pounds. Any advice or help for this complicated situation?

Rose, I can totally relate to the mental struggle with the transition from LF to HF. You and I are from the same era (I'm 62). We've had LF (and low cholesterol) pounded into our heads for about 50 years. In switching to high fat, I fight the "I'm going to die of a heart attack" mentality. It lurks in the back of my mind.

I think I am finally reaching the point where fat IS filling and I don't have to see a massive pile of food in front of me to "feel" full.

Decades of listening to Dean Ornish and other low-fat preachers did leave an echo in my noggin, but eventually it died out! TG.

One nice bit of advice I got just after I started LCHF was especially helpful: Find lists of keto-friendly foods, put stars by the foods that make your mouth water, and figure out ways to combine them.

(My personal best discovery was filling a jar of nut mix - walnuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and lots of shaved unsweetened coconut - to have in my car for when I get hungry away from home. I just have to be careful to use a small jar or be very careful with the portion size!)

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 Great point on the cabbage. Milliliters and grams have a 1:1 conversion, so 1mL cabbage = 1g cabbage. Both are accurate weight entries.

ml to gm are only 1 to 1 for water.

other things have a different density, and therefore would not relate accurately - there's also the air when you're measuring, for example 1 cup of lettuce (250ml) is not 250g of lettuce

and some foods are MORE dense than water, so 100g of something would be alot smaller than 100ml.

weighing solid food is ALWAYS the best way to go.
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Great to date, hell to live with (whether said of scales or Scotch).

• RalfLott
    Options

Great to date, hell to live with (whether said of scales or Scotch).

Unlike our diet, which would be hell to live without....