Forearm fatigue

Options
mom23mangos
mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
Anyone else feel like their forearms give out before their legs/back doing deadlifts? I had to switch my grip three times this morning during a set because my forearms were about to fail. My legs were feeling OK and I think I could have gone heavier on the weight if it wasn't for my forearms.

Replies

• ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I hadn't noticed it so much on deadlifts, but definitely doing kettlebell swings my forearms would usually be first to fatigue. I had to take a break from deadlifts for a while, but I have found since returning my forearm strength is much better and I don't need to switch to a mixed grip until heavier weights than before. Things like heavy kettlebell swings or farmer carries can help with your forearm and grip strength.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing deadlifts I had the same problem, my solution was working on my grip strength. What kind of grip are you using? If you're doing double over, you should probably switch it up to over/under or use straps. Also gloves are not good for deadlifting since they tend do decrease grip strength. One of the things I do to help my grip strength is to warm up with double over, then switch to over/under has I go heavier. Good luck
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I start with double over and switch to over under when I start to have issues. I had to switch which hands were over/under twice just to make it through. I don't use gloves or straps. I guess it will just take time to build up that grip/forearm strength.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Instead of switching when you get fatigued, start with double over with your warm up and then switch to over under and build from there. I recently read an article about increasing grip strength, I think it was on Bodybuilding.com, you can probably google it. It had some really good simple exercises.