Increase in blemishes

Options
Wakey618
Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
I've been doing moderately low carb (<=50 net/day) for a few weeks now and have noticed an increase in small blemishes. They aren't huge zits or anything but it seems like every few days I get some more. They go away after a day or so. I'm eating more dairy so am wondering if that's it. Or maybe just because I have a higher fat intake than before.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    It could be dairy or it could just be part of the adjustment process. I had some hormone disruptions when I first started the diet but now my complexion is better than ever! :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any zits or acne, but my rosacea sure has flared up with this woe, I'm 4+ months in and it haven't had any permanent improvements. My hormones are very much in flux still due to the weight loss and there's a school of thought that gut bacteria plays a role in rosacea, which I accept as very plausible, so I chalk my skin issues up to those two issues. Rosacea is an inflammatory condition and a lot of people experience inprovements with it when eating this way, wish I was one of those people. But I'll deal with my rosacea being worse for a while if it means I can lose weight :wink:
  • Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any zits or acne, but my rosacea sure has flared up with this woe, I'm 4+ months in and it haven't had any permanent improvements. My hormones are very much in flux still due to the weight loss and there's a school of thought that gut bacteria plays a role in rosacea, which I accept as very plausible, so I chalk my skin issues up to those two issues. Rosacea is an inflammatory condition and a lot of people experience inprovements with it when eating this way, wish I was one of those people. But I'll deal with my rosacea being worse for a while if it means I can lose weight :wink:

I've heard of dairy causing inflammation so that would make sense that it's affecting the rosacea. Are you eating a lot of dairy?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm actually eating far less dairy than I've probably ever eaten because my overall food consumption is much lower. I have 1-2 tbsp cream, 2 tbsp milk and most days up to an ounce of cheese. I used to eat 3-4 ounces of cheese and 8-16 ounces of milk & cream each day. In terms of other inflammatory markers, I have improved considerably, my arthritis is practically non existent most days. I think for me it's probably the hormones and/or gut bacteria issues (there does seem to be some improvement when I eat more fermented foods) My makeup covers it up sufficiently though so I don't sweat it too much.