Spam

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Ewwwwwwww
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    It's pretty salty but tastes ok. Fried is better than cold, for sure.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Hmmm, not sure, we used to have it a lot when I was growing up and I loved it but not sure how it would taste to me now after years of not eating it, I wonder if I'd still like it! Definitely not cold though!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Confession: I have never tried spam. I always see it at the supermarket in the tin can but it never piqued my interest lol
    I have heard good things of spam and rice dishes? What else can you eat it with? Spam and eggs?
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    A 2oz serving has 174 cal, 15g fat, 7g pro & 1.7g carbs
    I don't think you need to add salt at 767g.

>:) or o:)
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    I'm a fan of fried spam...it's the only way I'll eat spam actually.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Never had it looks like bologna
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited April 2016
    Confession: I have never tried spam. I always see it at the supermarket in the tin can but it never piqued my interest lol
    I have heard good things of spam and rice dishes? What else can you eat it with? Spam and eggs?

@LolaDeeDaisy23 - You can eat it pretty much any way you would bacon, more or less. We used to fry it up for breakfast sandwiches or eat it like pan-fried kielbasa/Polish Sausage with mac and cheese and broccoli or whatever. From what I can remember, as it's been some years now, once it's good and caramelized, it has a taste somewhere between turkey bacon and bacon. But you had to cut it thin and brown it good.

It is a processed food, so use at your own risk, but in a pinch, I think the fat content and sodium are high enough to make it a substitute/emergency/indulgence food...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Never had it looks like bologna

Tastes a helluva lot better than bologna, though. I can't stand that stuff. Fried or otherwise. Not a hot dog can here either. But spam was salty enough you didn't notice the lack of true flavor, methinks, @auntstephie321 ! HA HA HA
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Oh my goodness, that brings back nightmares from my childhood, my dad loved that stuff, along with those cans of "deviled ham" I want to barf just thinking about it. I already eat bacon, which is questionable enough as a processed food in my book, and that's as far as I'm willing to go. I have tried it as an adult though, I ordered the musubi at a Hawaiian restaurant, kind of as a joke, it's still as gross as I remembered from when I was a wee one.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited April 2016
    I <3 musubi. But now I can't have the rice. :(
    Fry it up with some eggs. Chopped is good to get more surface area fried.

My mom would chop it and put it in Spanish rice. She called it Spamish rice. I thought that was how everyone made it...

Now I'm hungry,
  • kirkor
    My mom would chop it and put it in Spanish rice. She called it Spamish rice.

Love it! I think your mom and I would get along
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    My kids love it. I actually like it, but haven't had it in awhile. It's kind of the perfect LCHF food though, no?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Oh my goodness, that brings back nightmares from my childhood, my dad loved that stuff, along with those cans of "deviled ham" I want to barf just thinking about it. I already eat bacon, which is questionable enough as a processed food in my book, and that's as far as I'm willing to go. I have tried it as an adult though, I ordered the musubi at a Hawaiian restaurant, kind of as a joke, it's still as gross as I remembered from when I was a wee one.

My husband eats that "deviled ham" crap. I call it cat food. The smell... UGH
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    A "hurricane recovery" food! Really , this goes in the "preparedness" closet every summer. That's what I think of when I see it, lol!

I prefer it hot, and have it two times a year, maybe.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I'm not sure I've ever actually tried it.
    If I ever get around to making an emergency food stash though, I guess it would be a good addition.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    It's awesome shredded and baked in a quiche. Add onion and mushrooms and it's a real treat.
  • kirkor
    edited April 2016
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    ...and it's a real treat.

No, it's Spam; this is the real treat:
    armour_treet.jpg

;)
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    When I made fried rice, I put fried Spam in it. Yummy! A little bit with a scrambled egg is good, too.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member

My husband eats that "deviled ham" crap. I call it cat food. The smell... UGH

Lol!!!! Yes!! It totally looks and smells like cat food! My parents would make sandwiches for me with that stuff. I just threw them away, i couldnt stomach it. No wonder I was skinny when I was little. I was in so much trouble when I grew up and discovered how yummy food could really be.