volume of food

Options
matean444
matean444 Posts: 10 Member
Hi everyone! I'm new to keto, but not low carb. Almost 3 weeks in, IF-ing, and no troublesome hunger except for my eyes. I just made a 22 gram protein lunch with 1/4 avocado and spicy yogurt sauce. With cream in my coffee, that's half my food for today and it fits on a saucer (the tiny plates that fit under a 6 oz cup). While it was yummy, it looked like a pitiful amount of food so I added an almond flour/Swerve snickerdoodle cookie for a treat. (so much for avoiding nuts)

Does anyone else like the keto diet, but have a hard time adjusting to how little food there is?

Replies

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    About 16 months in and I don't even think about the amount. I know I eat less volume however that is the amount I need to lose the hunger so it works out.

For a while when I was starting out I found I often tried to fill my plate because that is what I was used to. Now I use lunch plates most of the time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you want volume, then do a huge salad with lovely protein and a fatty dressing. The volume you can get will still be great and low carb. Same with things like broccoli and such. A big ol' pile, slathered in cheese and butter...

Since low carb food tastes so awesome, I tend to eat really slowly and drink extra water, so I don't notice the volume difference as much. I get to feel more full on 1/4 the amount of food since I ditched hunger-inspiring carbs and sugars.

Also, IF may make your food seem even less. I couldn't even attempt IF until I was 12-14 weeks on keto, so you're ahead of the game.

Also, have you used calculators to double check your calorie goals? Unless you're already super close to goal, even at your age, you should get plenty of calories...

http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Fat is more calorically dense than protein or carbs, so yes, given the same amount of calories, the volume will be smaller.

In time you will learn to differentiate between "fullness" and "satiety".
  • matean444
    matean444 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - very helpful info from all of you!
  • amberatkinsagain
    amberatkinsagain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know sometimes this can be a dealbreaker for folks... But have you tried coffee black?

Creme in coffee is so good, but I want those calories to go elsewhere. I did the first couple days then I thought I would do without creamer so I could "eat" those calories instead.

Hope this helps!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    But have you tried coffee black?/quote]

AeroPress, brewed strong, pressed directly over ice! Mmmmmmmmmm
  • danadennison
    danadennison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto as well and although the portions are smaller due to adding fats, I get satiated much sooner. Especially going strict keto with no sweets, simple carbs, etc. I have BP coffee in am. I use IF 18hours and fit two feed intervals into the remaining 6 hours of the day. I'm doing well so far. Hope this helps. Sometimes it's about retraining yourself to look at nutient load vs quantity. And drink water.