Link Between Fluoride and Thyroid Disfunction?

Options
ladipoet
ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
FWIW, I recently read a couple of interesting paragraphs the other day and just wanted to share the info because I know there are many members of this group who struggle with Hyper and Hypothyroidism. Let me also preface these paragraphs by saying that yes, I know there are many out there will not agree with what is said here and that's okay too.

"It goes without saying that drinking water that has been fluoridated is counter productive to creating a healthy life. Donʼt fall for the BS that having fluoride in the water is going to reduce tooth decay. The research on whether applying fluoride directly on the teeth helps to reduce tooth decay is questionable at best. To put fluoride inside the body does no good and plenty of damage.

Here is one example. Fluoride displaces iodine within our bodies. If fluoride is present in the system, the fluoride will fill that space where iodine would attach and keep the iodine from having its ʻlanding spotʼ. Iodine deficiency is directly linked to thyroid dysfunction, yet another rampant under investigated, completely avoidable condition. Since the thyroid is responsible for maintaining a healthy metabolism, sub clinical thyroid dysfunction may be one of the roots to the obesity explosion we see in our culture. Fluoride plays a big part in disrupting the iodine in our foods from being able to find its appropriate home within our cellular functioning."

YMMV.

Replies

• PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have low thyroid and used to live in a city where the water was fluoridated so I started buying bottled distilled water for drinking and cooking. I also found a toothpaste that was fluoride free. After about six months I had my annual physical with blood tests and my doctor LOWERED my dosage of thyroid medication. The last I've been able to find out is the CDC has recommended "further study" to see if fluoridated water is actually harmful. It will all depend on who funds the further study. Who? Me? Cynical?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My dentist's hygienist shakes her head at me each time I refuse the fluoride treatment after my dental cleaning. But this last time, she said, "Well, you're naturally cavity resistant, anyway, aren't you?" I had to laugh so much, because no, I'm not. I have easily 12+ fillings in my mouth. Apparently that didn't register, just that I haven't had anything since she's been my hygienist (12-18 months), and I don't build much plaque being low carb, so I'm happy with that.

I've got other issues compounding my thyroid stuff at the moment, so my medication need is still increasing, but I haven't been fully level there in quite some time, so it may peak out, then gradually come back down, too.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    FWIW, I recently read a couple of interesting paragraphs the other day and just wanted to share the info because I know there are many members of this group who struggle with Hyper and Hypothyroidism. Let me also preface these paragraphs by saying that yes, I know there are many out there will not agree with what is said here and that's okay too.

"It goes without saying that drinking water that has been fluoridated is counter productive to creating a healthy life. Donʼt fall for the BS that having fluoride in the water is going to reduce tooth decay. The research on whether applying fluoride directly on the teeth helps to reduce tooth decay is questionable at best. To put fluoride inside the body does no good and plenty of damage.

Here is one example. Fluoride displaces iodine within our bodies. If fluoride is present in the system, the fluoride will fill that space where iodine would attach and keep the iodine from having its ʻlanding spotʼ. Iodine deficiency is directly linked to thyroid dysfunction, yet another rampant under investigated, completely avoidable condition. Since the thyroid is responsible for maintaining a healthy metabolism, sub clinical thyroid dysfunction may be one of the roots to the obesity explosion we see in our culture. Fluoride plays a big part in disrupting the iodine in our foods from being able to find its appropriate home within our cellular functioning."

YMMV.

I have been reading all about the iodine(iodide)/bromine(bromide)/flourine(flouride)...etc connection this week, pretty interesting stuff. Bromine is another issue like florine, it is added to our food system. Bromine has been banned in nearly all countries, yet the US readily supplies us with high doses through breads. In the late 70's flour companies actually took out iodine (what we need for health, was mandated in the 20's due to an iodine deficiency epidemic) and replaced it with bromine (considered a toxin like florine) as a bread conditioner. Dr Brownstein (the leading expert on iodine deficiencies, who believes it is becoming a health epidemic once again) theorizes that the US government quietly changed the requirements to fortify flour from iodine to bromine so that prescription drugs would be more effective. Turns out iodine sufficient humans do not respond as well to certain drugs. I believe he said many of these drugs have a bromine base (?) The theory is much like the floride issue - our receptors pick up on these elements and will absorb them (they are all structural very similar so the receptors receive them), but if we have sufficient iodine our cells will start to push out the bromine and florine. Dr Brownstein has some great videos on Youtube about the importance of iodine and salt minerals, which also talks about floride too.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Here is a good link that discusses the detox of these elements
    http://www.nourishingplot.com/2014/08/30/detoxing-fluoride-bromine-and-chlorine-naturally/
  • ladipoet
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I have been reading all about the iodine(iodide)/bromine(bromide)/flourine(flouride)...etc connection this week, pretty interesting stuff. Bromine is another issue like florine, it is added to our food system. Bromine has been banned in nearly all countries, yet the US readily supplies us with high doses through breads. In the late 70's flour companies actually took out iodine (what we need for health, was mandated in the 20's due to an iodine deficiency epidemic) and replaced it with bromine (considered a toxin like florine) as a bread conditioner. Dr Brownstein (the leading expert on iodine deficiencies, who believes it is becoming a health epidemic once again) theorizes that the US government quietly changed the requirements to fortify flour from iodine to bromine so that prescription drugs would be more effective. Turns out iodine sufficient humans do not respond as well to certain drugs. I believe he said many of these drugs have a bromine base (?) The theory is much like the floride issue - our receptors pick up on these elements and will absorb them (they are all structural very similar so the receptors receive them), but if we have sufficient iodine our cells will start to push out the bromine and florine. Dr Brownstein has some great videos on Youtube about the importance of iodine and salt minerals, which also talks about floride too.

Very interesting @Karlyn. Thank you for sharing!

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly well versed on this topic, as well...why isn't it alarming to more people that we're being willingly poisoned??
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly well versed on this topic, as well...why isn't it alarming to more people that we're being willingly poisoned??

Because when you feed people the same *kitten* for generations, it eventually becomes completely accepted. Take a look around MFP for some good examples, spanning a broad range of nutritional topics.
  • ladipoet
    edited July 2016
    Options

Because when you feed people the same *kitten* for generations, it eventually becomes completely accepted. Take a look around MFP for some good examples, spanning a broad range of nutritional topics.

Yeah, SOOOO this ^^^^!! Sheep ....I mean "people" are unwilling to believe that government along with medical / health / Pharma and other big food companies really don't have our best interests at heart.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We have a whole house water filter that removes fluoride, use fluoride free toothpaste and don't get the treatments from the dentist. Results = my kids are 22 and 25 and have only ever had one cavity each. Fluoride can also cause fluoridosis which is a slight darkening of the teeth with white spots.

From what I researched a while back (and there may be newer information so please correct me if you have more recent info) it's calcium fluoride, naturally found in things like tea, that is good for your teeth. As I recall it's aluminum fluoride that is added to water and oral care products and that's what isn't good for you. It's a byproduct of making aluminum and aluminum has been linked to a list of health issues.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I come from a family full of Hashimoto's sufferers. Obviously the genetic predisposition is there and we all encountered the same autoimmune trigger (s). Could it be fluoride? Possibly. Or iodized salt -- too much iodine can also be a problem for us. It could be wheat.

That being said -- the idea that our water was fluoridated without due consideration to long-term effects is bizarre to me.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Also, lay off store bought deodorant,Sheeple! Who cares if you have to reapply natural deodorizer more often?? I make our bread, our toothpaste, our deodorant and our laundry soap! And yes on the water filtration!

Don't even get me STARTED on chemtrails....
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »
    We have a whole house water filter that removes fluoride, use fluoride free toothpaste and don't get the treatments from the dentist. Results = my kids are 22 and 25 and have only ever had one cavity each. Fluoride can also cause fluoridosis which is a slight darkening of the teeth with white spots.

From what I researched a while back (and there may be newer information so please correct me if you have more recent info) it's calcium fluoride, naturally found in things like tea, that is good for your teeth. As I recall it's aluminum fluoride that is added to water and oral care products and that's what isn't good for you. It's a byproduct of making aluminum and aluminum has been linked to a list of health issues.

Yes, or sodium fluoride. Pull up the MSDS for that kitten. What better way to get rid of hazardous waste than convincing people it's good for them and selling it to water treatment facilities?

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, unfortunately for me the thyroid antibodies issue didn't start until just lately even though we have our own well unflouridated (13 yrs) and I don't get flouride at the hygienist since I became an adult. They don't automatically give flouride at our dental offices once you have all your adult teeth and only 4.5% of our provincial population drink flouridated water. There must be something more that just this, I'm thinking. Good start though, who wants poison!
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My parents used to add fluoride drops to my juice when I was a kid, thinking they were doing a good thing for me! I had no idea, but I am glad that I didn't go that far with my kids. This is some interesting information!