Ketosis Breath?

Options
Kerryatoon
Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
Hi Everyone, This is my first post here but I've been reading for a while. I'm on day 4 of attempting to get into Ketosis. Calorie Goal 1200, Macros: C-5%, F-75%, P-20% (0.8g/LMB). Slight headache yesterday and today but not unmanageable. Experiencing Diuretic Effect, drinking ~100oz H2O.

My Net Carbs:
day 1 - 34g ~11%
day 2 - 31g ~11%
day 3 - 20g ~ 8%

I know it may take a few days to a week to get into Keto but today I have the taste of cupcakes or vanilla in my mouth all morning. No matter what I drink it is still there. Is this "sweet" breath what they are talking about when you are in ketosis? Has anyone experienced something similar?

Open to tips/suggestions as this is my first time attempting Keto.

Thank you!

Replies

• Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @vinegar_husbands I've noticed that smell in my pee,too. I thought it was just because of my diabetes.
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Sounds normal to me.

My pee starts to smell like bacon or cupcakes when I'm in ketosis. You'll definitely know you're in it once you develop keto rash. I can flip in and out of ketosis without developing it now, though.

I'll pay attention to my pee too. I'm just peeing all the time right now..lol. I'm hoping I can avoid keto rash. Is that something everyone experiences?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @Ktmc132 Not everybody experiences a rash.

If you are experiencing a diuretic effect, I would suggest upping your sodium consumption because with the water, the sodium in your body is being released and becoming unbalanced. That is an explanation for the headaches.

Salt your food liberally, you can consume broth, and some pickles would be good.

In the Launch Pad, there is a lot of good reading information and a post about electrolytes.

Happy Keto!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ktmc132 wrote: »

I'll pay attention to my pee too. I'm just peeing all the time right now..lol. I'm hoping I can avoid keto rash. Is that something everyone experiences?

I've never gotten it. I've been keto for a bit over a month now (and at other times in my life too...)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten the rash. I've been keto 7 months. I get the sweet taste you describe if I have fasted for awhile but I notice it mostly when I exercise.

I would only drink if you are thirsty. Too much water could be contributing to your electrolytes getting out of balance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Ktmc132 Not everybody experiences a rash.

If you are experiencing a diuretic effect, I would suggest upping your sodium consumption because with the water, the sodium in your body is being released and becoming unbalanced. That is an explanation for the headaches.

Salt your food liberally, you can consume broth, and some pickles would be good.

In the Launch Pad, there is a lot of good reading information and a post about electrolytes.

Happy Keto!

I've been Keto for a couple weeks shy of 1 year, and just like @samanthaluangphixay said, not everyone gets a rash, I've never had a rash of any kind, and even if I did, it wouldn't have been caused by ketones.
    Anyway, OP, the headache you had is a symptom. Don't just assume it's a normal part of the process. It's common, but it's a symptom of sodium loss and completely avoidable. You needs lots of salt. Especially if you're drinking 100oz.of water a day.
    By the time you experience symptoms, you can safely assume you've also lost some magnesium and potassium as well.
    Please read the launchpad info about electrolytes to get more info on how to keep them from going low on you.
    3 days at those carb levels, I have no doubt you're in ketosis. You should be feeling a nice steady energy, but you may not be if electrolytes are low.
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I've never gotten the rash. I've been keto 7 months. I get the sweet taste you describe if I have fasted for awhile but I notice it mostly when I exercise.

I would only drink if you are thirsty. Too much water could be contributing to your electrolytes getting out of balance.

Oh Good.. glad to hear rash is not a guaranteed. The problem is I feel thirsty all the time..I have read the launch pad info before but it is a LOT of information to absorb all at once. Now that I'm doing it I will be able to target my reading for my specific challenges.

@samanthaluangphixay Thank you! I will definitely be working on salt and magnesium intake.. I honestly did not think I would be able to reach levels of carbs that would get me into keto so I'm slightly unprepared. I'll try the broth as well, thanks!

@redimock thank you I am hoping that it won't be a problem. I have had eczema in the past but it was due to food allergies and what I think was an candida overgrowth due to that. Not been a problem for a couple of years now.

@anglyn1 wow 7 months! I haven't really planned out how long I want to maintain this.. I just stalled on weight loss and wanted to try it to see how I would feel and what effect it would have. How has it been working for you? What are your goals in Keto? Have you been reaching them using Keto?

Thanks Everyone!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Thank you.. I definitely need to get some supplements. Drinking some broth now.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    @Ktmc132 My main goal with keto was to control RA symptoms and it has been working thankfully! I also have gotten back to being able to exercise regularly and lost 25 lbs. I have much better control over my hunger now as well which is nice! :)
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @anglyn1 Wow what a great benefit! I did read that it can be good for autoimmune and inflammation conditions as well. Good to know :)

On a positive note I had a bullion cube broth for a snack and it made my headache go away! More thirsty now though. I'll be getting some different bullion that doesn't have MSG but that did it in a pinch. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have been following a ketogenic diet for several months. I haven't had a rash, nor cupcake or bacon breath (maybe something in between, since that's everything), nor transient keto flu. So those three goals have been met.

I have also lost 4-8 lbs. per month, so there's one that's matters.

What I still hope to attain is the mindset that inhaling even a few pointless carbs will never again be an option. Not expecting any Eureka moments any time soon.