Why so hard for women to lose fat weight - great video

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
Well, you knew you had some negatives against you making it harder, and as this video starts out - it's not merely the differences in sizes.

Now - before offense is taken - please be aware my comment and the video is ONLY about the perspective of the topic - losing fat weight. Especially compared to men.
This is no commentary about benefits or drawbacks of being a woman - just the effect it has on fat weight loss.

Many of these ideas have come up before. Some I've never gotten into because the level of training intensity was no where near the point to make a difference.

The average ratio of fat:carb as energy source in cardio was news, though not a huge difference, but the source of the fat was. And has implications.

So enjoy, see if you don't recognize some of this already, and perhaps what could help tweak your efforts more successfully while doing a reasonable deficit.

https://youtu.be/6846ZTBu08k

This is from a respected source, Lyle McDonald.

Replies

• heybales
    Options
    So I thought one aspect to the findings has interesting application.

Most women when exercising burn a higher ratio of fat:carbs than a man would burn.

Doesn't stop the fact that as intensity goes up that ratio shifts to more and more carbs as energy source from the muscles.

But the fact that the fat is taken from intramuscular sources, not the say belly fat that may be desired to be rid of.

Now of course you should never take a workout and what it does merely for the short period of time it's done - but how it effects the day as a whole.

But the way I see it means that if you want your non-muscle fat stores to be used as best you can - you need more of the effect that uses fat anyway.

And that is having insulin elevated as short a time as possible after meals - so your body can get back to normal fat burning mode for your calm daily activity, with fat being released from other sources.
    And for women, that daily activity can be a tad more intense than say for a man, and still be burning more fat as source.

How do you accomplish that?

Burn lots of carbs - from liver and mainly from muscles during exercise. And between meals.

Make workout as intense as you can get it, but not so much as to increase injury or kill recovery to do another hard workout tomorrow. So that means workout is not always as hard as you can go and do it.

Because when you have lots of carb stores to replenish, after eating when insulin goes up, carbs you eat go to those stores first, and in a diet they are never topped off really.
    So your insulin drops back down and normal fat release occurs again.

Sooner than it would not in a diet, and sooner than if your workout wasn't that intense.

I think this also spells bad idea for many women to be eating every 2-3 hrs, constantly keeping insulin elevated and fat release turned off, burning what they have eaten.

You really want any tweaks that causes the normal calm daily fat release as energy source to occur, longer and more frequent the better.

That was one item.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this one heybales. As always very informative.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, interesting...........time to stop the snacks and eat bigger meals maybe. I'll try that!

Probably going for another 5 lbs with a trainer again beginning next week, so maybe I'll incorporate that for the duration of the training and see how it works.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Since the video speaks mostly about women during their child bearing phase, I wonder if things change after menopause?

I do think getting enough protein is critical for women (and men!). Not sure how the fats/carbs would play out later in life for women. I'll see if I can find any studies done on that, guess I found a new hobby. B)
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Since the video speaks mostly about women during their child bearing phase, I wonder if things change after menopause?

I do think getting enough protein is critical for women (and men!). Not sure how the fats/carbs would play out later in life for women. I'll see if I can find any studies done on that, guess I found a new hobby. B)

Lol, should have watched the video (no time while working) before commenting. I just read Heybales comment and it made sense to me, but if it's child bearing women, that eliminates me at 66!

I'll check back for further developments.
  • heybales
    Options
    The part I was applying was women in general.

But indeed the "fun" with hormones is the majority of the discussion.

He does discuss the implications of after menopause.

But he also has a lot on women in general.
  • retirehappy
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Guess I will revisit it then, I missed the after menopause bits. I have become a believer in protein, not keto levels for me, but I need my protein to control hunger and maintain muscle mass while losing.

Update: This is helpful additional info from Lyle on women and weight loss:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/announcements/women-training-and-fat-loss.html/
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh, nice teaser. Wow, big book compared to most of his others.

Wonder if the editor is going to attempt to get him to reduce it.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to watch it all. Is he saying women benefit from eating more less often?

So not only are the cards stacked against me as a woman, but my natural inclination is to eat less more often (I feel better).
  • heybales
    Options
    The implications of the fact it's shown higher % of fat burned during exercise, and it's intra-muscular fat at that - mean the best way to get rid of other fat in the body is to have as much of your day in normal fat burning mode using those stores, when there is no insulin turning that off.

Since each meal you eat (unless only fat eaten) raises insulin for some period of time, you limit that time in non-fat burning mode.

Now - the benefit to that is easily wiped out if there are adherence issues when NOT eating frequently enough, and you end up eating more than you should.

You might view it like the set-back thermostats that promise energy savings.
    All the energy saved while the furnace doesn't run while the temp drops say 10 F at night, is wiped out when it's raised 10 F in the morning back to setpoint normal temp.
    The only actual energy savings is during the lower temp time when the furnace runs less than it would otherwise.
    So if you never reach the setback point 10 F (or just barely reach it) - there is no energy savings.
    Except - it is more efficient and therefore a slight energy savings to keep the fan and burners running for longer to raise the temp10 F (or 8 or whatever you got), rather than off and on to keep it at higher setpoint.
    But it may be more uncomfortable for you to be colder, so you manually set it higher, wiping out that slight benefit.

So in this case with body, you are at a net loss looking at a 24 hr block at a time, but what is burned can be improved, and where it comes from.
    But if it causes you to overeat - no benefit obviously.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Excellent scope from EM2WL on why is it harder for women to lose fat: https://www.periscope.tv/w/agkjqjExNzU1OTkyfDFaa0t6bGFEYVFXSnap14EgY2-jgXWTKUSiAj2yYfqvgDnbL9Irfq_y4dHgsA==
    This broadcast will be available until 05/17, 2:30Pm.
  • heybales
    Options
    Wow, that periscope is just distracting - I hope she can turn that stuff off until the end.

Some decent info there to keep in mind. The discussion above from Lyle has some much more in-depth stuff along a different lines though. Very different topics.

I think a tad too much focus on gaining/losing muscle mass and effects from it - when it's not that easy to gain - and it's not that great an increase to metabolism when you get it. 6 cal/lb per day in burning isn't the main reason why metabolism drops - the lack of moving when you undereat with those muscles each day is the bigger loss of daily burn.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @heybales , the comments can be turned off when you are watching it live, avoiding distractions.