yoga

Options
2»

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D deficiency causes all kinds of trouble, including depression and joint pain. I'm walking a lot too, and in a sunny area, but I probably need to start tracking it better because of the med I am taking for the bile salt malabsorption (it can cause fat soluble vitamins to be low). I also notice a huge difference when I keep up with the D.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I've been in love with yoga for years. The things I've been doing differently that seem to help me with my post hysterectomy blues are keeping my vitamin D levels at the high end of normal, and eating a low carb diet with plenty of vegetables and protein.

This is really interesting. How did you find that keeping your D up high helped? My D stays lowish, unless I pump in lots of it. I live in a SUNNY place and spend 1-3 hours outside every day, and still it's lowish.

I'm much more energetic since I started taking D supplements, on the advice of my health care provider. I think my brain functions better with more D. I have a family history of melanoma, so going outside without sun protection isn't a good idea for me.

I've read this before. I sure hope it works well for you.
    To be clear, I wear sunscreen, definitely.

Sunscreen might interfere with making D.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been in love with yoga for years. The things I've been doing differently that seem to help me with my post hysterectomy blues are keeping my vitamin D levels at the high end of normal, and eating a low carb diet with plenty of vegetables and protein.

This is really interesting. How did you find that keeping your D up high helped? My D stays lowish, unless I pump in lots of it. I live in a SUNNY place and spend 1-3 hours outside every day, and still it's lowish.

I'm much more energetic since I started taking D supplements, on the advice of my health care provider. I think my brain functions better with more D. I have a family history of melanoma, so going outside without sun protection isn't a good idea for me.

I've read this before. I sure hope it works well for you.
    To be clear, I wear sunscreen, definitely.

Sunscreen might interfere with making D.

Yup, but not on top of my head. :smile: In reality, my doc suggested moving my sunscreen to work. So I walk to work without, and then put it on when I get there for the rest of my day's sunshine.
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've started a yoga practice about 6 weeks ago. I attend 3 or 4 classes a week -- flow, hot, and Yin/restorative. I like the results. My arthritis in my shoulders is less aggravating. My body "wants to get up and move" as when I was younger. I'm 46 now. Not old but much more sedentary lifestyle than 20s and 30s. My hormones are all over the place now but I try to breathe with it. Yoga mindset helps me be more aware that it will pass.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    MerryOne00 wrote: »
    I've started a yoga practice about 6 weeks ago. I attend 3 or 4 classes a week -- flow, hot, and Yin/restorative. I like the results. My arthritis in my shoulders is less aggravating. My body "wants to get up and move" as when I was younger. I'm 46 now. Not old but much more sedentary lifestyle than 20s and 30s. My hormones are all over the place now but I try to breathe with it. Yoga mindset helps me be more aware that it will pass.
    Wonderful!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,353 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga too a couple months ago, it helps me STAY focus. Last month, I watched my grandkids during the week so didn't have the time.

Since that was only for the month, I'm started my sessions again, :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    if it works for you, why not?

personally, i'll stick with my spin classes 3 times a week and doing weights three times a week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    if it works for you, why not?

personally, i'll stick with my spin classes 3 times a week and doing weights three times a week.

I think that's exactly it. Do what works for you, throughout your life.
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. When I forward fold, I take a deep breath and then I get a strange pressure under my ribs, just at bottom of sternum. I think it may be the cartridge tip (xiphoid pressure) moving/turning while I am in forward fold. I can feel the lump in my skin and the pressure against my lungs. It's not painful, just odd feeling and a little scary too. Once I stand upright, then it slowly goes back into place. I'm worried it will get "stuck" if I continue.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    ask your teacher.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ask your teacher.

I agree. Ask your teacher to watch you go into that position and describe what you're feeling...that's really the best idea. You're probably pushing on your diaphragm, but best to ask your teacher.