The gym and the 9 days

Rena42
Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
Chodesh Tov.

I just found out that all Zumba classes are canceled during the 9 days. They will still have things like body sculpting, but body sculpting really isn't my speed. They may have a kickboxing class that I can go to. I'll have to figure it out. (It's kind of cool going to a kosher gym that cares about this kind of stuff.)

What's everyone else doing about the gym and the 9 days?

Replies

• Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    I'll be missing the pool.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Im still planning to do my heavy lifting. I will try to go easy on the sauna though...
  • Rena42
    Lifting is a great idea. I know that you've been doing it a while. How did you get into it?
  • paprikas
    Basically from the forums on here. According to many of the people on here, heavy lifting is the way to increase your metabolism and reshape your body. Muscle burns lots of calories even when you are resting and is a really efficient way of getting in a good workout that has ongoing benefits. Ironically, I have found that since I have started heavy lifting, my weight on the scales has plateaued. However, my body measurements are gradually reducing, I am feeling absolutely great and the compliments keep on coming. Its a bit of a challenge not to get too hung up on the number on the scales.

Basically, I don't think that with a busy life such as mine, it is sustainable to expect to eat about 1200 calories and still function as a human being, and keep the weight off. I like food too much, and want this to be a long term proposition. The only way that I can justify eating as much as I do is by raising my metabolism through eating lots of whole foods, and building muscle.

I strongly recommend that you search terms like stronglifts, NROL4W, and look at threads by helloitsdan and sarauk2sf.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I'm going to exercise as usual and shower as usual, as per the rov.
  • hipop61
    hipop61 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm sure I can still go on my exercise bike. No issur in walking
  • paprikas
    I'm going to exercise as usual and shower as usual, as per the rov.

What did your rov say?
  • MostlyWater
    That if you usually exercise, you do not have to change your schedule; and that you shower afterwards like you usually do.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    If you sweat as much as you should sweat after a workout, any Rav should tell you that you better take a shower!
  • Rena42
    The Psak that I got was that you shouldn't add to what you already do (if there is music involved), but if you exercise to music, and it's kavuah, you can keep it up. We shower, but we don't do laundry.
  • MostlyWater
    I have plenty of exercise clothes, BH.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    I have plenty of exercise clothes, BH.

This is my biggest issue! I'm doing some at-home kickboxing, and also just plenty of walking outside. I walk without music, and actually enjoy it as a way of listening to what's happening around me, and get lost in my thoughts a little. But I may not be able to exercise for the full 9 days... I'm starting to run out of clothes!!! :-\
  • Rena42
    Right now, I still have clothes and I think I'll be OK until Wed. afternoon, but if I do run out, I'd wash, but only what I need. (I guess I'm not that frum)
  • MostlyWater
    I like to wash full loads plus I use a special detergent for my exercise stuff (from Modell's) so I have plenty of stuff BUT at some point, the machine is full. I really only have 2 more outfits left; for Sunday and Monday (morning). I definitely have to wash on Wednesday !!!
  • peanut321
    peanut321 Posts: 20 Member
    Ask a rav. I was told that its okay to wash clothes that are dirty (not just worn, but smelly, sweaty, with mud, or anything else that makes them actually dirty) if you need to wear them,
  • MostlyWater
    Really dirty clothes and linens can be ruined by sitting around. It's definitely a question for a rov.