05/02 Monday Day 2 SLBC

Options

Replies

• simplyme247
    simplyme247 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My one thing will be to take a nice long walk today. I use Endomondo (a free phone app) to track my walks and join challenges there to motivate myself to do more... It's so much fun
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have my fitbtit set to buzz every hour during work day to remind me to get up and walk my office floor which is a city block. My "one thing" has two parts. First part is to actually do it instead of turning fitbit off. Second part is to have it buzz every day instead of just work days.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I hope it's okay to add on to something I'm already doing, since I have been trying to get more active. In March I joined the MFP group Leslie Sansone Walk at Home, and I started with 1 mile at a time, and got up to 2 miles 6 days a week, 2 weeks ago. (Yesterday I managed 3 miles.) My goal for May was 40 miles, because I wanted to add in other forms of exercising.

I am thinking of somehow adding in a 3rd mile, doing spurts or short walks throughout the day, in addition to the 2 miles. It can be another Leslie routine, a walk outside, or laps down in the underground parking garage between laundry loads. (I live in an apt building.) The 2 miles is before supper, so this other will be earlier in the day.
    I have pedometer/ watch, which, if accurate, I need more strides to make a mile than most people. I tend to wear it only for exercising, but I am going to work on wearing it all day, and attaining 5000 steps daily this week, increasing that a bit each week.

Always a great idea to add on to something you are already doing. Good for you!

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    starjam25 wrote: »
    I'm going to take the long way to ladies room!

I just started doing this very simple action too and I'm amazed at how many more steps I've added.
  • UltimateLover
    UltimateLover Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have my fitbtit set to buzz every hour during work day to remind me to get up and walk my office floor which is a city block. My "one thing" has two parts. First part is to actually do it instead of turning fitbit off. Second part is to have it buzz every day instead of just work days.

How do you set yours to buzz every hour? Or is it just an alarm every hour that you just set?
  • Lavamonstret
    Lavamonstret Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will increase the distance me and the dog walks every day. :)
  • KristiMillner08
    KristiMillner08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get in a 15 min walk each day.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I will walk around the cul-de-sac during commercials in the evening. This is a good starting place as most evenings once we get home there is little movement. I need to figure out how to move more at work. Our office is very small and the restroom is a whole 15 steps from where I sit.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options

How do you set yours to buzz every hour? Or is it just an alarm every hour that you just set?

I have a FitBit One. I also have it connected to my iPhone. I do this from my IPhone. On the FitBit app, at the bottom of my screen, there is a button called account. I click account. From account, I click one the arrow under my name that says One (connected). The second option is called silent alarms. I click on that and you click set a new alarm. It gives you the option to choose times, and to choose repeat. Under repeat, you can select which days of the week you want the alarm to buzz. Hope this helps.

• truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tidy my kitchen before i make my cup of tea after dinner, and I'm going to put the washing away instead of letting it pile up in the bedroom. (yes I know that's 2!) Tidier house and happier/healthier me. Win win. :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Iron some clothes that need to be ironed since last week. Tackle it and be done.
  • melzi28
    melzi28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've challenged myself to take over walking the dog for my husband.
  • Awesomechic64
    Awesomechic64 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My goal for the month is 30 min of walking and 10k steps per day
  • debileem
    debileem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While at work, take a walk around the office each time I get up to get coffee or go to bathroom.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

I was part way through reading those links when it occurred to me to stand up and read them instead... ;)

Great ideas to walk more, exercise more, and even clean more. Regarding that, I think the declutters among us will like what's coming up for this Thursday's challenge!

The day I cleared out my closet, I got close to 9,000 steps instead of my usual 3-4,000 and barely sat down all day. (It was exhausting! ;) ) For the past few weeks I've been working on getting to 5,000 each day, and not doing too badly.

I know other activity trackers (such as Jawbone) have ways to help folks sit less too. While I don't have personal experience with them, please share if you do!

I have a Microsoft Band2 ('smart watch' with many health-related features) and can set regular activity reminders on it - it gives several interval choices. I had it set to go off every hour between 8am and 7pm (it vibrates and shows me a message to get some steps in), but I would often just ignore it anyway!

So, my One Thing is that I've set it to 30 minute intervals instead, between 8am and 10pm, and I will do my best to get up every time it vibrates unless I really can't interrupt my train of thought. Even if it's just to stand and stretch for half a minute during a show, or doing a lap of the kitchen. :)

I have another Thing I might try and do too, but if something about decluttering is coming up then I'll save that thought for a few days! ;)
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have (I think) set my watch to beep every hour. I'll use that as a reminder to get up and walk or run three times around the hall in the building I work - each round is about 110 steps. I've been doing that lately each time I cross the hall to use the jane, but need to try to do it hourly.

I already walk in place during my shower and walk or run in place while brushing my teeth. :) The Fitbit goes into a zipperlock plastic bag, which gets rubber-banded around my ankle, so I know that those steps add up to 1400 to 2300, with the higher number being when I wash my hair and then run while brushing teeth.

Yesterday and today I walked a good bit at work - 12,800 steps yesterday and 7,500 today as I walked out of the building. But that's uncommon; mostly I'm seated at the computer.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have a request: Could each day's challenge be posted the evening before? I have time to go online in the evening, mostly. I won't see even early morning postings until I get home.
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My "one thing" will be to use the downstairs bathroom at work and the upstairs one at home, instead of those closest. I'm also standing at a counter with my MacBook right now and will do that a lot more, instead of sitting at my desk. :smiley:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,779 Member
    Options
    I do this too, and I walk to the bathroom that is furthest away. ;)
    starjam25 wrote: »
    I'm going to take the long way to ladies room!

• achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ok mine is to walk half an hour every day. I already do it 3 or 4 times a week so it wont be that hard of a transition.