Sodium and Magnesium help

Options
Vowder
Vowder Posts: 378 Member
I saw it here before but I can't find it now.

I'm eating 25 carbs/day.

I working out at least 60 mins/day 6 days/week.

254lbs 6'2" male.

I'm losing weight fast.

On occasion, I get light headed when I stand too fast. I've read here that it is likely that I am not eating enough sodium. I rarely add salt to my food.

I've begun to add salt to my eggs in the morning and have been adding more salt to my cooking. It has helped a lot.

1) someone once wrote which magnesium type supplement to buy. Can you please re-post?
2) would you advise taking a sodium pill as well?

Thanks,

Vowder

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest

The link has info about electrolytes and how to keep them in balance.

As for magnesium, the forms that end in '-ate' are typically good, and avoid magnesium oxide because that can cause a laxative effect.

A sodium pill isn't necessary if you are getting enough in your food. Do you like pickles? They are a quick and easy way to get sodium in you - along with broth as well.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Magnesium citrate is what I use. I too read it was best, don't recall why. (Maybe the other kinds cause more 'loose stool' issues?) Epsom salt baths are also full of magnesium, and fun to take. :wink:

If you can, make sure your salts have minerals, many don't. If it is 'sea salt' it doesn't guarantee minerals, it must say on the package. I have had two incidents of very low salt since going keto, it really is important to keep it up. I now buy empty gel capsules off of Amazon and will fill one or two if I feel low, or I will take one or two before a day of hiking and sweating. The capsule fit about 1/8th of a teaspoon. I just don't eat enough foods that can give me the salt I need, and I really don't like the broth solution.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest
    Here ya go but here's my opinion on the best forms of magnesium in order

Magnesium Chloride
    "Carbonate
    " Glycinate
    " Other "ate" forms except aspartate or gluconate

Start with about 400mg a day split into two doses and increase until you feel a bit rumbly in your gut, then cut back a little bit. That's your personal tolerance. Anything your body cannot use will go out by digestion and it takes water with it so it'll cause loose stools if you take more than your body can use. But it's a good idea to give your body all that it can use since its involved in over 300 enzymatic functions.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How do you know whether you get enough salt/sodium ?
    What are the signs of not enough ?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @andysport1 Signs include dizziness, headaches, muscle cramps, low energy...

Lots of people who are new to LC report getting dizzy spells or feeling lightheaded - and then they get confused as to what is going on. It is definitely preventable and not something that absolutely needs to happen in order to go LC.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @andysport1 Signs include dizziness, headaches, muscle cramps, low energy...

Lots of people who are new to LC report getting dizzy spells or feeling lightheaded - and then they get confused as to what is going on. It is definitely preventable and not something that absolutely needs to happen in order to go LC.
    Thanks, I just wondered because I sweat loads when I exercise, like 2lbs loss on a 4 hour bike ride, plus I only ever have salt on boiled eggs.
    I don't get dizzy or lightheaded just checking.

• blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of hot water stirred up with a boullion cube several times a day, which solves the problem for me.