Updated photo, honest opinions needed

Options
2»

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @ryanb1385 thank you for all that info. I guess I'm not technically trying to build muscle, I want to be stronger but not looking to get bigger, if that makes any sense. I really just want the fat to continue to leave. it seems to be even though I'm not losing any weight, that's why I say I'm eating at maintenance because the scale hasn't gone down so I must be right around maintenance, I don't super accurately log anymore, I've loosened up a bit over the past few weeks or so.
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @ryanb1385 thank you for all that info. I guess I'm not technically trying to build muscle, I want to be stronger but not looking to get bigger, if that makes any sense. I really just want the fat to continue to leave. it seems to be even though I'm not losing any weight, that's why I say I'm eating at maintenance because the scale hasn't gone down so I must be right around maintenance, I don't super accurately log anymore, I've loosened up a bit over the past few weeks or so.

That makes perfect sense, and is a common goal. Heavy compound lifts will get you there the fastest (if you can do them, I remember something about injuries in your posts), and maybe a slight caloric deficit, or just keep on keeping on as it seems to be working for you. Body transformation is a slow process, don't give up on it yet
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You won't "get big" by lifting heavy. Women in general have more of type 1 muscle fiber, endurance fibers. They don't bulk easily.

If you eat at maintaining and not providing stimulus for muscle growth, you'll just stay the same. If you wanna ease into things try BWF as suggested above or just a lighter load/the bar until you're comfy to up your game. fitnessblender.com has a lot of exercises targeted to women.

I'm gonna buy this, so I can rehab my shoulder at home and work on upper body strength:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KYH38KS/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1462297245&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=woss+suspension+trainer

Cheering on you!
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    You won't "get big" by lifting heavy. Women in general have more of type 1 muscle fiber, endurance fibers. They don't bulk easily.

Women also dont have the test in their bodies to "get big" like men, unless they start on the needle, but that's a whole other discussion.

Foamroller wrote: »

If you eat at maintaining and not providing stimulus for muscle growth, you'll just stay the same. If you wanna ease into things try BWF as suggested above or just a lighter load/the bar until you're comfy to up your game.

100% Agree

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/26/an-update-with-staci-our-powerlifting-superhero-plus-academy-scholarships/

Seriously. She looks smaller at a high weight. It's all about the muscle, baby!!!!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yup! Shoulders, arms, thighs are showing it! Keep up the work!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @knitormiss lol I've read those before I must be building some muscle cuz when I compare to my photo last july there is a major difference but I weigh more currently than I did then
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I looked at the pictures some more. Look at the puffiness difference at the front view (and side view) armpit area! The ribs, below your top, are more defined. The back view I can see a definite difference in the lower shoulder blades as they look sharper. Even your hands look smaller to me. Don't discount what you are doing for yourself! Even with your "slips" in food choices you look awesome!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Oh, btw: there's some hard work showing in that leg picture there @wabmester!

And Steph, please proceed with caution on the weights! I know you know this, but it's so easy to aggravate old injuries! But, best of luck! I know it's needed at this point, but I haven't been able to even lift one pound weights without inducing pain (sooooo much more than just soreness), and I'm not doing more than two reps of five! Anyway, be careful! I hope you find a way without pain!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @karlottap oh I know it, I did some 7lb weights yesterday, just a very little bit and I can feel the soreness in my right shoulder/neck area that I have problems with. its really annoying to want to do something and know that I can't
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Frustrating, for sure! Makes us super special snowflakes! :smiley:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    but I haven't been able to even lift one pound weights without inducing pain (sooooo much more than just soreness), and I'm not doing more than two reps of five!

This seems like a serious limitation -- are you under the direction of a physical therapist?

• auntstephie321
    Options
    Does using an elliptical with the resistance turned up work for resistance? I'm confused about what to do. I tried doing some minor arm exercise with a light weight and it started to make my shoulder hurt. So if I can't do heavy lifting what can I do to get my stomach flat and continue to lose fat all over? I think I can still plank, well that and cardio work?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 Can you swim? That would be a good workout for your muscles.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yeah I do that in the summer. Our pool won't be open for a few weeks
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I see it most around your armpits and your thighs are definitely slimmer. And it's only two month's difference, you're doing great! Btw, if I ever look anything vaguely close to you I'll think I've died and gone to heaven!

::flowerforyou::
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @KetoGirl83 that's such a sweet thing to say. ;) thank you.