Stopping yourself on the way down the slippery slope

Options
2»

Replies

• Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If skiing down the slope, I need an exit strategy. Realising I am sabotaging or tending towards the uncontrolled black run is the first step. Second is recognising I have a choice to get off. Third is taking time out to feel my emotions and see if there may be an alternate to the next cashew, crisp, chocolate, or other vice of choice. Sometimes distracting myself with exercise, chatting to others or even reading a book helps.

This is very good - thanks!
  • Wakey618
    Options
    In work situations where I can't control the food around me, I've found that it helps me to tell people I'm on a diet, or can't eat XYZ right now. By putting it out there to people, it gives me a level of accountability. And if there's someone I'm particularly close with, I'll even ask them to call me out if they catch me grazing on junk food.

That's a good idea. EVERYONE in my department knows what I'm doing, which is why I waited until everyone in the vicinity of the M&Ms had gone home before I went over there and scooped some up..... :p
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    My hubby bought home cheerios and peanut butter oreos cos he knows how much i LOVE them, and guess what I did... :blushing: Evil things i tell you, evil!!

Not your fault. Your tempter beau probably forgot to mention that the incantations in your marriage vows included a camouflaged invocation of Lucifer hisself.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    What I've learned about how sugar affects the brain and the liver and how it can lead to metabolic problems has made me see it as more of a drug or poison so I not only don't want it, I'm kind of disgusted by it!

+1 Food v. Poison
    What a novel world we now inhabit, where horse apples have medicinal properties and candy is poison!

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    In work situations where I can't control the food around me, I've found that it helps me to tell people I'm on a diet, or can't eat XYZ right now. By putting it out there to people, it gives me a level of accountability. And if there's someone I'm particularly close with, I'll even ask them to call me out if they catch me grazing on junk food.

That's a good idea. EVERYONE in my department knows what I'm doing, which is why I waited until everyone in the vicinity of the M&Ms had gone home before I went over there and scooped some up..... :p

It sounds a little mean, but I did some quick research for myself on "candy bowls" and germs. You know how many people touch those things? Every time someone sticks their hand in there to grab a few, whatever they have on their hands gets on the ones in there they dont take - including feces/urine/dirt/etc - amazing how many people do not really wash their hands after the bathroom, and after touching their keyboard (which is a VERY nasty thing too ).

So whenever I am tempted, I think of this and the feeling turns to nausea . It is just a mind game, but it works for me :) until someone brings in individually wrapped stuff... ugh.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »

It sounds a little mean, but I did some quick research for myself on "candy bowls" and germs. You know how many people touch those things? Every time someone sticks their hand in there to grab a few, whatever they have on their hands gets on the ones in there they dont take - including feces/urine/dirt/etc - amazing how many people do not really wash their hands after the bathroom, and after touching their keyboard (which is a VERY nasty thing too ).

So whenever I am tempted, I think of this and the feeling turns to nausea . It is just a mind game, but it works for me :) until someone brings in individually wrapped stuff... ugh.

Ha, great imaging!

Can you envision the same cretins hand-wrapping those would-be treats?

We had a guy at work who used to fake washing his hands after emerging from the stall. (True.) He will be the guy I imagine hand-wrapping stuff I otherwise might want to eat.

His employment was later terminated for undisclosed reasons; we suspected there no checkbox on the HR form for "Dysentery Risk."
  • aylajane
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Ha, great imaging!

We had a guy at work who used to fake washing his hands after emerging from the stall. (True.) He will be the guy I imagine hand-wrapping stuff I otherwise might want to eat.

His employment was later terminated for undisclosed reasons; we suspected there no checkbox on the HR form for "Dysentery Risk."

Lol ! Oh no, that could apply to basically every possible food you could eat. I dont think I will have a problem not eating today! Intermittent fasting, here I come... I need to look up how to become germ-phobic :) I want to give myself a disorder...
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Ha, great imaging!

Lol ! Oh no, that could apply to basically every possible food you could eat. I dont think I will have a problem not eating today! Intermittent fasting, here I come... I need to look up how to become germ-phobic :) I want to give myself a disorder...

Start here, if you need a helping hand.
    My father is a b@st@rd,
    My ma's an S.O.B.
    My grandpa's always plastered,
    My grandma pushes tea.
    My sister wears a mustache,
    My brother wears a dress.
    Goodness gracious, that's why I'm a mess!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Lol I know that trick well!! Pulled it myself plenty of times in n the past.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

That totally works for me when it comes to bar snacks and buffet lunches at work! I'm such a germaphobe. Unfortunately all of my office candy temptations in the past came in wrapped form lol.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott thanks for the laugh and @aylajane thanks for the visual. I now am imagining a loud party with all the germs n viruses multiplying on the sweets, having an awesome time. I will never look at a bowl of candy the same again. Queue Maccarana or other group dance!
  • aylajane
    Options
    @RalfLott thanks for the laugh and @aylajane thanks for the visual. I now am imagining a loud party with all the germs n viruses multiplying on the sweets, having an awesome time. I will never look at a bowl of candy the same again. Queue Maccarana or other group dance!

OMG I have no idea why but as soon as I read "germs n viruses multiplying on the sweets" I got a disturbing visual of the mucus guys from the commercials for mucinex having sex in the candy bowl :) Hows that for a visual!?!!?
  • Wakey618
    Options
    I wish I was a little more concerned about germs - these are some good negative anchors I could set! It's not that I'm an unclean person, I just believe that some germs are ok for our immune system and I'm rarely sick so it's working for me ;-)

I'm having coffee right now and chocolate goes so well with coffee, but I'm going to drink the whole cup with nothing to eat with it, and will enjoy it immensely. :*
  • lowcarbjen
    lowcarbjen Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I call the mints at the door of some restaurants "bathroom mints." Because really, when it comes down to it, that's what they are.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    What are Fat Bombs?

@Wakey618 Fat Bombs aren't just sweet things. They are essentially anything that approaches 90% of it's nutritional content from fats. I have a fat bomb soup (and have seen others) that is like the Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana soup without the potatoes (sausage kale cream soup). I've seen jalapeno popper soup, bacon cheddar broccoli soup, etc. that would serve as a fat bomb soup. There are savory recipes that use avocado, cream cheese, and/or pate as things to make a creamy fatty center, rolled in bacon, crushed nuts, coconut flakes, etc.
  • aylajane
    Options
    I wish I was a little more concerned about germs - these are some good negative anchors I could set! It's not that I'm an unclean person, I just believe that some germs are ok for our immune system and I'm rarely sick so it's working for me ;-)

I'm having coffee right now and chocolate goes so well with coffee, but I'm going to drink the whole cup with nothing to eat with it, and will enjoy it immensely. :*

Oh I am with you - I could normally care less about everyday run of the mill germs. But the idea of actual feces and urine is enough to deter me... just a mind game :)
  • Wakey618
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    What are Fat Bombs?

There are savory recipes that use avocado, cream cheese, and/or pate as things to make a creamy fatty center, rolled in bacon, crushed nuts, coconut flakes, etc.
    OMG - I must learn more about these!!! I am so excited right now it's pathetic! :p
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    "candy bowls" totally works! That's what I think of too. I never touch nuts or candies in bowls or even those toothpick dispensers and always use only prewrapped straws or toothpicks. Also I never share anything out of a bag if anyone has put their hand into it to grab some of the goodies. If I offer such to a friend they get the offer first and it is shaken out into their hands.
    Maybe a little obsessive, but never had a problem with nasty tummy bugs either.
    But on second thought, I have eaten street food in foreign countries from reuseable containers with no issues either. Maybe I just have a tough gut, lol.

One thing to notice is if you are 'hiding' your eating... it's a good thing to be aware of so that you can get back to your healthy WOE.