Cough Drops Question

Options
missabbyb
missabbyb Posts: 30 Member
I need some suggestions for thiS, I've been sick with a stomach bug and I have a really bad sore throat. I looked at the cough drops and I've been trying to go without them because they have 3 to 5 grams of carbs in each drop. So I was wondering what do y'all do instead of cough drops? or do you just accept the fact that you're going to go out of ketosis when you're sick?

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I get sugar free cough drops... Most have one carb but I'll do anything to stop a sore throat
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There are sugar free ones, as ettaterrell mentioned, but I despise artificial sweeteners (they taste like a cat puked up a meth lab) so I stick with drinking hot water with lemon or plain tea, gargling with warm salt water (old home remedy, but it really does help!), and only use lozenges if it gets really bad.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, chicken broth, hot steam bowls with a towel over my head and high powered painkillers. There's no way I'm blowing my diet for throat lozenges, it needs to be something way better than that :wink:

Hope you feel better soon!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're like me and you used to treat a sore throat by "burning it out" with orange juice, doing the same with some mildly diluted Apple Cider Vinegar might help....
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar works great on sore throats and nausea for me! Also hot tea or broth!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Chloraseptic throat spray is always an option, too. It's artificially sweetened, but there can't be too much in 1 spray. I always find it does a great job "numbing" the area...although I think it smells horrible. lol