A cardiologist tries keto and ...

Options
2»

Replies

• BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

2 months and 25lbs! Wow. Good for you. Awesome.

Thank you!

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's awesome! I bet you feel great! I know I do, I lost 10lb in 4/5 weeks.
    I love how some days I can wake and not be hungry, or be a little and just have a coffee with a shed load of double cream (read 100ml).
    Today I didn't eat until evening meal. Didn't need to. I've walked 4.2 miles to take my boy to swimming class - with a trike and a bag full of all sorts (he's 2). I've also been to the gym and done strong lifts 5x5.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    @KenSmith108 That should be my next tattoo!
    Very twee but also reflects my love of salt.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Going to 1200 calories, sure that will work for loss, but I'd be miserable and hungry even with keto, and possibly mess up my bad metabolism further.

Honestly, some days I'm sub 1200. Some days I'm sub 1000 if I just don't feel like eating. Then other days I will eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 calories because I'm just hungry. It hasn't seemed to impact much, and hopefully eating 'just when hungry' doesn't do much metabolic damage. I read that New York Times article a few days ago, and it really would have been disheartening... if I wasn't losing weight without hunger. Going up to maintenance, even if it is 400 to 800 calories less then what a normal person would burn doesn't seem that daunting when you think of it that way, honestly.

This doctor made it so much more complicated then necessary. Complaining about having to be so meticulous and how even cauliflower put him over his carbs. Apparently he wasn't looking at net carbs, because I'm fairly certain 3 of his 5 cauliflower carbs would have been fiber. Plus... where was the cheese sauce for that? Instead of worrying about his 'keto friendly casserole' he should have just had a big ribeye with butter and lots of salt. =)

He went into it with a mindset for failure. I'm not sure why he expected anything else with an attitude like that.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    All of our comments just posted. I just saw Wab's, Sunny's, and DW's. :)

Woot! Now, the next million-dollar question -- will he respond?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    All of our comments just posted. I just saw Wab's, Sunny's, and DW's. :)

Woot! Now, the next million-dollar question -- will he respond?

LOL My guess is no.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I feel like a quick Google search could have prevented this if his own medical training didn't. Sad lol

Huh, you are obviously operating under the delusion that "medical training" for doctors ever mentions the word "nutrition." As I've posted elsewhere, doctors have a vested interest in writing prescriptions, ordering expensive lab tests and cutting people up with knives. Thinking about nutrition -- not so much. Until ranchers and farmers start offering kickbacks (oh, beg pardon, "professional remuneration") nothing will change.

• tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was amazed today listening to the radio, and the health section had a doctor, and two other people,( missed their qualifications) on promoting the keto diet. They were explaining that far too many have fallen into the trap of low fat, that fat is GOOD, that the evil substance is sugar and it's hidden everywhere . They also were saying that a keto diet is a good diet to battle some cancer, ( they couldn't commit to all ). Also our local gp put my friend on a keto diet for her polycystic ovary problems. This guy should try a trip to Ireland and ask an irish cardiologist how to handle the diet.