Jogging: Good or Bad?

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
We've been bombarded with messages that jogging is bad and HIIT is good. I've never been convinced by the "don't jog" fad, so I jog. I also run fast sometimes. But I like to limit my sessions to under an hour to minimize oxidative stress. No marathons for me!

A video posted by @wanderinjack referenced a couple of upcoming studies. Since the video was made a while ago, those studies have since been published. Great stuff!

Dose of Jogging and Long-Term Mortality

Compared with sedentary nonjoggers, 1 to 2.4 h of jogging per week was associated with the lowest mortality (multivariable hazard ratio : 0.29; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.11 to 0.80). The optimal frequency of jogging was 2 to 3 times per week (HR: 0.32; 95% CI: 0.15 to 0.69) or ≤1 time per week (HR: 0.29; 95% CI: 0.12 to 0.72). The optimal pace was slow (HR: 0.51; 95% CI: 0.24 to 1.10) or average (HR: 0.38; 95% CI: 0.22 to 0.66). The joggers were divided into light, moderate, and strenuous joggers. The lowest HR for mortality was found in light joggers (HR: 0.22; 95% CI: 0.10 to 0.47), followed by moderate joggers (HR: 0.66; 95% CI: 0.32 to 1.38) and strenuous joggers (HR: 1.97; 95% CI: 0.48 to 8.14).

They looked at all-cause mortality. Joggers vs non-joggers. Fast joggers vs slow joggers. Short-duration vs long-duration. Low frequency vs high frequency. Wow!

As the quote above shows, the lowest mortality was associated with slow-average pace (about 10 min/mile) jogging up to 3 days a week for a total of up to 2.4 hours a week.

Those light joggers had a hazard ratio of 0.22! That is a crazy benefit. Amazing!

Sedentary was bad.

High-intensity running (fast pace, > 4 hours per week) was even worse!

Light, easy jogging for the win!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome because I am the slowest jogger there is! ;) I actually didn't know there was a don't jog fad.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's all about doing what I love to do that makes me sweat and challenges me.
  • wabmester
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

So slow running for 5 minutes is equal to walking for 15... Or slow running for 25 equal to walking for 105?
    Very cool
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I did notice a good decrease in my resting heart rate very quickly after I started jogging. I actually thought my fitbit was broken because of it but I confirmed the readings manually and it was accurate
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    These ancient joints don't run fast OR slow anymore. But when I participated in timed events, my only goal was to beat that lady 30 years older than I who was in every race and ALWAYS in front of me. Rita of the Atlanta Track Club, are you still in the race? You'd only be around 100 now and probably still faster than I.

But even when I was slower than Rita, I was in the best shape of my life.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

So slow running for 5 minutes is equal to walking for 15... Or slow running for 25 equal to walking for 105?
    Very cool

If the benefits of walking peak at 105 min., then this chart indicates that running more than 25 min. per day is better than any amount of walking... looks like I need to run 45 min. per day.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Runners tend to 'carb load' for energy, and drink sugary 'Goo', hmm

I personally think just plain old walking is grossly under appreciated. It is my daily exercise while I am fasted so I am in full fat burning mode. Now that I am 75 pounds down I am also hiking and biking a few days per week too. I tried jogging and even ran a 5K in February (very slow, but I finished!) but my old bones were not having it. I developed a hip problem when I was at my highest weight, and while it is much better it hasn't gone away. Jogging really aggravates it. Walking, biking and hiking do not. I have recently started doing HIIT while biking and hiking, accelerating to where I breath very heavy then rest and repeat 5-7 times. I have no idea if it really works, but I do it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I love this news because I really enjoy trail jogs! I am definitely a slow jogger...sometimes I think I more walk with bounce than run! lol

This really suits me because I think I'm the only person I know who runs with no goals other than just enjoying being on the trails. Everyone is always telling me about these races I should sign up for but that's not my thing. I don't really make much effort to increase my distance and I just go whatever speed feels right that day.

I prefer trails - trail running gives better views, but I can't go as fast on trails anyway. There is too much to pay attention to on trails - terrain changes, rocks, logs, holes, and wildlife.

The problem with trail running and this study is that I can't often get a good trail run done in only 45 min.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I love this news because I really enjoy trail jogs! I am definitely a slow jogger...sometimes I think I more walk with bounce than run! lol

This really suits me because I think I'm the only person I know who runs with no goals other than just enjoying being on the trails. Everyone is always telling me about these races I should sign up for but that's not my thing. I don't really make much effort to increase my distance and I just go whatever speed feels right that day.

I prefer trails - trail running gives better views, but I can't go as fast on trails anyway. There is too much to pay attention to on trails - terrain changes, rocks, logs, holes, and wildlife.

The problem with trail running and this study is that I can't often get a good trail run done in only 45 min.

I'm lucky that I leave near a state park that has the perfect trail for me. It takes almost exactly 45-50 minutes to complete the loop!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I'm lucky that I leave near a state park that has the perfect trail for me. It takes almost exactly 45-50 minutes to complete the loop!

It could be 45-50 min. if I were faster, but I'm still pretty slow. Mostly that is because I'm not in good enough shape yet and I'm terrible at pacing myself, so I end up walking a lot to catch my breath. But there is a park with a trail approx. 5.5 mile loop, so if I can get to a 9:00 mile on average, that would be close to 50 min.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Very cool

If the benefits of walking peak at 105 min., then this chart indicates that running more than 25 min. per day is better than any amount of walking... looks like I need to run 45 min. per day.

And that makes me wonder: what if you run 45 min AND walk 105 min? :smile:
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I need to get back to jogging! It used to be my go-to for exercise, but I've gotten out of the habit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Very cool

And that makes me wonder: what if you run 45 min AND walk 105 min? :smile:

Or, would that follow the curve to the right as it plateaus and provides no additional benefit? We don't really know without a 3rd study group.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    This still doesn't convince me to run. Cardio is hardio.

I should get that phrase on a shirt.

LOL, I'd buy the shirt!

::flowerforyou::
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    This still doesn't convince me to run. Cardio is hardio.

I should get that phrase on a shirt.

I would change it slightly to say: Cardio is hard, yo!
  • wabmester
    Options
    How about "jogging is mind-boggling good for you." Hmm. Might need an xl shirt. :)