Whoa, the food is not bad

Options
Stacivogue
Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
I spent the first year on medifast eating only the bars and soy crisps. I lost so much weigh that 2 friends from work tried it and gave up. When the saw I was back on it, they gave me their foods. So far: love the oatmeal with 2 tbsp of flax seeds, 2 tbsp of wheat bran (not germ), a little Splenda and cinnamon. Love the Mac and cheese, use a dash of tony chacheres and a dash of dried jalapeño (penzy's spices). Love the brownie soft bake. Don't like the chili cheese puffs. I swear, the oatmeal really keeps me much less bloated and gassy, and regular! (This is a huge deal...it was the most uncomfortable side effect from medifast)
Even the chicken soup is ok, though I don't like it unless I really have time to soak it. (Both rice and noodle).

Wow.

Replies

• tyanna68
    tyanna68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So far I like most of the food. I did MF about 8 years ago for the first time and did not like it much. They have come a long way. I agree, I do not like the puffs. I do like the cinnamon pretzels and they are my go too snack when I'm out and about. Some bars melt where I am as I live on an island and it's hot!. I also like the pretzels when I go to the movies. While the hubby is snacking on popcorn, I'm eating pretzels. OR I cut up a chocolate bar in little pieces so it seems like candy. I love cream of broccoli soup and the vegetable soup. You know you can buy just one envelope of something to try it without having to buy a whole box?
  • ShannonM816
    Options
    The food really isn't that bad, which I found surprising. There are a few things I've tried that I won't ever try again, but for the most part, it's all edible, and some of it is good enough that I could see eating them as snacks even post-MF to help maintain.
  • aboston3
    aboston3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I just started the program today. I have to say, I think the food as a weird after taste. It's not terrible, so I think I can endure. SO far, I've tried the Mac & Cheese, Parmesan and Cheese Pizza bites and shake. Hope the rest is a little better.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The longer you are away from real Mac and cheese the better it will taste
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So Staci, you never even tried the other food, for a year? How did you manage that? I wouldn't have been able to stop myself, both out of curiosity, and sheer boredom with only two items! (Especially since the bars alone would *definitely* give you digestive issues, what with all the sugar alcohols.)

I really like the oatmeal - it tastes pretty reasonable, I think (except for the peach...that stuff's like sawdust). I ate it every day for the first couple of months.

These days, I have the berry cereal with almond milk every morning, and the following meal is a shake made with the coffee soft serve and some brewed coffee. I also really like the scrambled eggs - add a couple tablespoons of salsa, and it tastes SOOOO good, especially if you're hungry. Feels like a lot of food, and has a good-quality mouth-feel/chew, provided you make it in a skillet, not the microwave. I usually have the chicken noodle soup every day as well - I let it soak in hot water for at least an hour beforehand, then nuke. Is it gourmet, no of course not, but it's inoffensive, and at least as good as the Lipton Cup o Soup, maybe better. I've also been drinking a lot of the hot chocolate - I find that stuff *really* good.....it's thick and sweet, and if you use just a tablespoon or so of hot water and make a paste first, then you can add more water and it doesn't clump up. It also keeps me very full - unexpected, for a drink, but it does a really good job. :-)

I cracked into my second box of mac & cheese today - it tasted really good. I've found with that stuff, the prep is tricky, but crucial. I soaked it for an hour first, and was careful to not use too much water. I've also found that after the second nuking minute, if I tip my bowl so the contents end up in a small 'square footage', rather than spread out over the bottom of the bowl, and let it rest for a couple of minutes that way, it seems to thicken up better.
  • medifastKT
    Options
    I just finished my first day and I'm wondering which foods you all absolutely do NOT recommend.

So far I really don't like the caramel crunch bar due to the thick layer of "caramel". Which bars do you find most agreeable?

I agree that all the food has a distinct aftertaste (though the brownie less so), but I imagine this will lessen in time as I get used to it and am away from "real" food.

So far I enjoy the brownie the best, and I still need to perfect my mac and cheese prep. Excited to try the 10 or so more types of food I have this week =) - puddings, shakes, soups, sloppy joe, etc.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first day and I'm wondering which foods you all absolutely do NOT recommend.

Oh, it's so individual! Really, it is. Everyone's tastes are different, and it's true, even if you don't like something at first, you may like it later.

The brownie is great, I agree. One of the most real-tasting foods in the bunch.
    Most folks don't like the oatmeal to start, but, understanding that the consistency would be different, I really like it. Except peach, ugh. :-P
    I was disappointed in the caramel crunch bar too - I love caramel, but the bar does have a particularly noticeable aftertaste, and there's not enough caramel flavor to cover it. Caramel goo, yes, flavor, no. :-(

I like the oatmeal raisin bar, and the fruit & nut bar - with the real raisins and peanuts in that one, it tastes pretty 'real'. The smores one I like too, but I kind of loathe the chocolate mint one - whoa, aftertaste. :-P I don't eat as many bars in general as I used to, though.

I like the softbake cookie, and I really like the hot chocolate. (The cappuccino has this weird 'wheaty' taste, but one could get used to it, I suppose.)

I haven't tried a ton of soups, but I do like the chicken noodle, and the chicken & wild rice one tastes pretty decent, as long as you get it soaked properly. The 'chili' - same deal, though needs more flavor, I think. The sloppy joe I *really* like - but then, I'm very used to eating TVP - texturized vegetable protein - what the little 'meat bits' are. The trick to that is being *really* careful with the water - soak it first, then nuke it, and hopefully you'll get ALL the water out...it tastes better when you 'eat' it rather than 'slurp' it. :-/ I *hated* the 'beef stew'.....but there are those that love it, so. I've never tried the cream soups AS soups - but the tomato soup makes a *rockin'* 'bread' for grilled cheese. (They've switched it for the tomato bisque...I hope that works as well.)

Two of my daily meals are the berry cereal (not much aftertaste when you eat it with almond milk, more if you eat it plain), and the coffee soft-serve made into a shake using brewed coffee. I've also been eating a lot of the cinnamon pretzel sticks - they're a little bland, but the dusting tastes good, surprisingly filling for the packet size, and SO easy to haul with you. No real aftertaste that I've noticed.

I'm not really a fan of the puddings - I'll have to use mine up making 'custard' with the eggs, which is tolerable. The shakes are tolerable, all the flavors I've tried, I'd just rather eat something else. The strawberry and banana ones are particularly decent made with almond milk, though.