Interesting article on slowed metabolism from The Biggest Loser contestants

Options
cmchandler74
cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
Thought you guys may be interested in this article about how some of The Biggest Loser contestants are showing extreme changes to their metabolism after doing the show. This ended up being a topic of discussion at my support group meeting last night.

At least one of the contestants gained all of his weight back and then had WLS to resolve.

We all hear anecdotes about how yo-yo diets make it harder to lose the weight again if you gain it back, and now it looks like there's some scientific evidence to back that up.

Replies

• gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Consering what those contestants went thru to get to the weight that the trainers wanted, I can see who their metabolism might be messed up.

I can also see why some once they get to the point of no shakes, eatting full meals will sometimes do a 'reset' to try to whip our tiny tummies back in shape for instance after a stall and such.

I personally do not like watching them because I don't like the way the trainers yell at the people who are trying to do things, but physically "or mentally" are at the point of exhaustion. But I suppose that is what they have signed up for on those shows.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    gdnplnty wrote: »
    I personally do not like watching them because I don't like the way the trainers yell at the people who are trying to do things, but physically "or mentally" are at the point of exhaustion. But I suppose that is what they have signed up for on those shows.

I feel the same way you do. I don't respond well to bullying, especially since I've seen and had trainers who can encouraging you to results without having to resort to screaming at someone.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My sister and I were just talking about this. I think that when they returned to their homes and everyday lives it was easy to slip back into old, bad habits. Of course, that's a danger for anyone, but maybe the dramatically different environment put them at greater risk.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    There's multiple studies out there that show people that lost weight have to eat less than others of same size who were never heavy. Kinds sucks for folks like us.