Final Day of my Whole30!

Options
shuki_cotren
shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
So, I started at 185 point something pounds. And my final weigh in is a little sad at 181.4. However, I did prove to myself I could say "no" to unhealthy foods for 30 days- that is definitely an accomplishment!

RULES I STUCK TO:
- I did not eat grains for 30 days.

RULES I DID NOT STICK TO 100%:
- I think legumes snuck in there a couple of times in the form of corn in canned vegetable soup and peanuts.
- Also, some natural sugars (honey, maple syrup) may have snuck in on occasion too.
- I was pretty good sticking to healthy oils, except for the 2-3 times I had Applebee's which sometimes cooks their foods in vegetable oil.
- I went to a movie at the theater and got M&Ms. My one candy cheat of the 30 days.
- I had some wine on my anniversary (about 5 oz) so there was that too.

POSITIVE CHANGES:
- I started feeling energetic enough to start going to the gym regularly and even started using the strength machines!
- I became more focused on going to bed earlier and getting enough sleep (still working on this, though)
- I was sick during a lot of my Whole30 with a bad cold that lasted 2 weeks, but I still seemed to have enough energy to play with the kids.

NEUTRAL-NO CHANGE:
- Still get sad when I pass Duncan Donuts and wish I could get a Long John

I am a little confused about what is next for me. You see, I have an autoimmune disease, and I don't want to go back to eating grains (and I want to mostly avoid legumes as well).

I had mentioned to my husband a few days ago that I want to go 30 days without sugar (not even honey or maple syrup). He seemed to think it was a good idea to tackle my cravings. It would be really hard, though, so I am not sure when to start... I will continue my slightly cheating version of the Whole30 while I decide where to go from here!

Replies

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Don't mind me. I'm just looking around at menu and meal ideas. :) Did you track calories and macros or go without like the program says they want you to do.? I'm scared to not track, partly because I just got consistent with it. I'm lifting and I can't get too low on calories and protein. Especially protein. I've been relying on protein powder shakes to keep that up so scared to get into the whole30 because I'm not a huge meat eater. But I suppose I'll get used to eggs and hope it doesn't mess up my wonderful total and LDL cholesterols. I need to raise HDL and lower triglycerides some more. I dropped the triglycerides about 89 points but more work to do on them. And I want my HDL not showing low. But biggest goal is to get fasting glucose back to normal range and go off Metformin. I've tracked and noted gluten consumption and bowel symptoms and backed way off that but really need something to break the cravings and addictions to that and sugar.
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    Did you track calories and macros or go without like the program says they want you to do.? I'm scared to not track, partly because I just got consistent with it. I'm lifting and I can't get too low on calories and protein. Especially protein.

No, I did not track. If you follow the Whole30 "Meal Template" you are supposed to get enough protein. I think they recommend a palm sized patty amount of meat or seafood with each meal, or probably at least 3 eggs if you don't have meat. You are supposed to use about a "thumb" sized amount of fat with each meal. Then fill up the rest of your plate with veggies. Nuts and seeds is always a small handfull (1/4 cup) or less.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Good luck!
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    Also, I think I did "fake track" my calories and macros a couple of times. I made up a sample meals based on what I normally eat and checked to make sure it was adequate. If it wasn't, I knew I had to add a few things or subtract.