Bullet Proof Coffee

Options
Wakey618
Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
I've been hearing a lot about BPC (bulletproof coffee) and have done a bit of research on it (I don't know how to search the threads here, as I'm sure there've been discussions on this) and have decided NOT to buy from the BPC company. I found this on the list of abbreviations here:

BPC = Bullet Proof Coffee. Originally a coffee brand and diet philosophy of Dave Asprey, which he claims boosts brain performance and weight loss, generally refers to the generic practice of drinking coffee containing heavy cream, coconut oil (or MCT oil), and/or butter.

This leads me to ask some questions here:
1. how many of you make your own, and which ingredients & quantities do you use?
2. Do you make 2 cups & blend it all in a blender?
3. Butter or coconut oil, or both? ( :s )
4. Do you think you're benefiting from it?
5. Do you then skip breakfast?

TIA

Replies

• hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I make mine 8 oz coffee. Put in 1 TBL Kerrygold butter and 1 TBL of MCT oil. Blend in my magic bullet. I love it. It tastes like latte. I am up very early morning so the BPC is my first meal. Often it will keep me full so I don't need to eat for another 3-5 hours (depends on the day). I have also drunk it with breakfast on the days I wake up real late.

There are many ways to make it. You can use coconut oil instead of MCT oil. Others put in Heavy Whipping cream. You can add sweetener if need be. You can even add a raw egg (i have done that also, not too bad).
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    1) Of the 26425 member group I don't know, I don't, none & none.
    2) No
    3) Refer to #1
    4) Yes
    5) I never skip breakfast or my morning coffee

HTH

>:) or o:)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I make mine with whatever k cup I use that day, add 13-16 g coconut oil, sometimes I add 20ml hwc, sometimes I add 13 or so g of kerrygold. usually a few drops of sweet leaf. some days I also add cayenne and cinnamon. lately I've just been doing iced coffee with hwc and sweet leaf.

I think the standard is

8 - 16 oz coffee
    1-2 tbs coconut oil
    1-2 tbs butter

blend all up in blender, I use my ninja, sometimes I add ice after and blend again, sometimes I add protein powder. there are a million ways to make it.

yes I found it would keep me full all morning so unless its the weekend I usually don't eat breakfast with it either

start slow with less at first, some people have issue with that much fat. mct oil is nice and I used that for a while, but that you have to be careful with it can cause digestive discomfort if you use too much at first
  • ogo1016
    ogo1016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee with butter and hwc and a Splenda or two. Sometimes I blend it to make it frothy. My husband swears I'm going to die of heart disease! I never skip breakfast.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Mine is coffee with hwc, and sometimes butter. No sweeteners, and no breakfast. I discovered not being hungry with this addition! Has been very beneficial!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    1. how many of you make your own, and which ingredients & quantities do you use?
    I use whatever we have in the house. Right now it is Kirkland.

Mine is usually 2-3 cups coffee (in a big spill proof travel mug, with about a teaspoon of coconut oil, a teaspoon of butter or a couple tablespoons of either whipping cream or coconut cream. I sometimes add a drop or two of stevia, and if I am having it last me into the afternoon, I'll add a small amount of protein powder (often <1/4 of a serving).

I usually whip it with a whisk, or just shale it very well in my travel mug - I re-shake it every time I drink.

3. Butter or coconut oil, or both? ( :s )
    Often both, but not a lot of either.

4. Do you think you're benefiting from it?
    I like the taste, like to drink my calories, and it fits my macros. Beyond that, I don't know. I noticed a cognitive improvement on keto, and coconut oil or MCT is great for ketones, so maybe?

5. Do you then skip breakfast?
    I usually don't eat until somewhere between 12:00 to 3:00, but then I eat a lunch, have dinner, and often have a bedtime snack of nuts.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Just instant coffee, 3 Splendas, 1/4 cup milk, cocoa powder and the fats

Nah, one cup at a time, about 12 hours apart. I just put all the ingredients in a mug and then add hot water from an electric kettle. Stir it now & then as I drink.

4. Butter or coconut oil, or both?
    Both, about a teaspoon of each.

5. Do you think you're benefiting from it?
    Yeah, been having 1-2 cups a day of this for several (3?) years. On fasting days, it's all I "eat". I'm convinced that a high-fat diet is a good idea, so this is a big part of it. I also take a fish oil cap daily and use olive oil in my regular cooking.

6. Do you then skip breakfast?
    Nope, I prefer to eat pretty soon after I get up.

• Wakey618
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all this, guys. I decided to buy some MCT oil after doing a lot of reading on it. Maybe it's worth it, maybe not...I don't know. I may just be gullible. But it should be here Mon night so I'll start my BPC on Tuesday
  • auntstephie321
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing all this, guys. I decided to buy some MCT oil after doing a lot of reading on it. Maybe it's worth it, maybe not...I don't know. I may just be gullible. But it should be here Mon night so I'll start my BPC on Tuesday

Start slow with mct. And if you can try to eat something with it or add coconut oil to.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    Start slow with mct. And if you can try to eat something with it or add coconut oil to.

Thanks, I will. Even though I'm not hungry early in the morning, I have to eat something with my coffee because I have to take pills and my stomach would get upset. I'm thinking something really light & small.

I've heard MCT can upset the stomach sometimes - like as in pukey, or The Big D? :/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks, I will. Even though I'm not hungry early in the morning, I have to eat something with my coffee because I have to take pills and my stomach would get upset. I'm thinking something really light & small.

I've heard MCT can upset the stomach sometimes - like as in pukey, or The Big D? :/

If you overdo it, you will have loose stools. If that happens, call it a cleanse! Lol

Just keep in mind though, that the main idea behind BPC is to act as a meal. So, if you must eat, you're adding potentially a lot of calories to that meal. If it makes it so that you can then skip any snacks you may have previously eaten or to eat a smaller lunch or skip lunch completely, it wont matter.
    So, you may not be able to use more than a teaspoon MCT anyway if the calories become a problem because you still have to eat too. In that small of dose, you may not even benefit from the short chain acids in a noticeable way. The dosage does matter for being able to feel the difference. If you work up to a full tablespoon, that's anywhere from 98 to 126 calories depending on your oil. And short chain acid concentration varies from brand to brand as well anywhere from 3.5g to 15g per tablespoon. And then there's butter or cream too... If you're adding those too...
    As a meal, the calories are not an issue but with a meal, you'll need to consider if it is too calorie heavy to fit into the rest of your day without making adjustments elsewhere.
    I'm of the camp that tends to believe we can eat more calories than we often think we can. But, it's still important to be aware...
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    For me it caused incredible painful gas pains, like acid burning through my intestines. You can build up though so start lie and increase after a week or so. Adding coconut oil helped because of the added medium chain, they say it can help slow strewn the short chain and it seemed to help. I did 5-8g of mct and about 13g of coconut.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't drink BPC. I drink 2 cups black coffee before work Then a black iced coffee during my lunch break (10:30!!) Then I will break my fast somewhere between 16-23 hours after I finished dinner the previous night depending on hunger. I try to finish by 7pm but usually finish by 8pm.

ETA: I'm trying to keep insulin down so I can fix my insulin resistance and hopefully lower my body set weight. Hence, no snacking or sipping on anything I even 'think' would use insulin.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ and @auntstephie321 , you both refer to "short chain" acid. MCT is medium chain. Is that what you meant or am I not understanding something?

I sooooo appreciate the warnings on the MCT & the possible reactions. I have a sensitive stomach so will ease in slowly. I am re-thinking my morning pill-taking, and may move it to lunch (except for the acid reflux med) so I don't have to eat with the BPC.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ and @auntstephie321 , you both refer to "short chain" acid. MCT is medium chain. Is that what you meant or am I not understanding something?

I sooooo appreciate the warnings on the MCT & the possible reactions. I have a sensitive stomach so will ease in slowly. I am re-thinking my morning pill-taking, and may move it to lunch (except for the acid reflux med) so I don't have to eat with the BPC.

Most MCT is a blend of medium and short chain fatty acids that includes the 12 chain lauric acid. That is a very beneficial one in lots of ways but it's the smaller ones (10 chain capric and 8 chain caprylic acid) that are responsible for the quick energy. Which is why I chose a very specific oil that has a higher concentration of caprylic. My purpose for using it is as part of my ADHD treatment and I credit it's addition along with krill or fish oil and Ginko for my reduction of stimulant medication.
    If your reason for using it is similar to mine, you may really like a higher short chain oil. Like MiCkeyT8 or Brain Octaine. If your reason for adding it is to help with satiety to be able to intermittent fast more effectively and also for the overall benefits of all of the unique fatty acids in coconut oil, then there's no reason to be picky about the MCT you're using and one that includes lauric acid will be a great choice for you.
  • Wakey618
    Options

Most MCT is a blend of medium and short chain fatty acids that includes the 12 chain lauric acid. That is a very beneficial one in lots of ways but it's the smaller ones (10 chain capric and 8 chain caprylic acid) that are responsible for the quick energy. Which is why I chose a very specific oil that has a higher concentration of caprylic. My purpose for using it is as part of my ADHD treatment and I credit it's addition along with krill or fish oil and Ginko for my reduction of stimulant medication.
    If your reason for using it is similar to mine, you may really like a higher short chain oil. Like MiCkeyT8 or Brain Octaine. If your reason for adding it is to help with satiety to be able to intermittent fast more effectively and also for the overall benefits of all of the unique fatty acids in coconut oil, then there's no reason to be picky about the MCT you're using and one that includes lauric acid will be a great choice for you.

Here I thought I knew all I needed to know about MCT! I didn't realize one brand could be different than the other, and chose a highly-rated cheaper oil than the Brain Octaine. I'll check out the label when I get it tonight to see if it's in line with what I want. Got it on Amazon so could return it easily if I want.

Thanks for all this great info!
  • Wakey618
    Options
    I have been drinking black coffee for 30 years.
    Simply cannot stand any added stuff at all.
    Gone black, can't go back.....

LOL!!!
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking black coffee for 30 years.
    Simply cannot stand any added stuff at all.
    Gone black, can't go back.....

Hahaha!

I occasionally put kerrygold or coconut oil in my coffee. There is no rhyme or reason as to when I do it but I do log it as a meal. Since I started faithfully logging I actually don't like drinking my calories. It feels wasteful in a weird way. If my goal is to suppress my appetite I can do that by eating an egg and 2oz of protein for the same caloric amount and it will probably keep me fuller longer than the bpc.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Here I thought I knew all I needed to know about MCT! I didn't realize one brand could be different than the other, and chose a highly-rated cheaper oil than the Brain Octaine. I'll check out the label when I get it tonight to see if it's in line with what I want. Got it on Amazon so could return it easily if I want.

Thanks for all this great info!

If you tell me the brand I probably already know its contents. Lol
    I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the differences when I started on my mission to get the most out of it for my supplemental purpose.